Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Camber 29 vs Anthem 29
  • rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Keen to switch my hardtail out and I think one of the above would be perfect but two problems.. Not many s/h and I can’t decide which is the better option.

The Anthem strikes me as the racier, important criteria is lightish/efficient and fun

Bikescene appear to have the Camber frame at £600 but its plain white which is a bit bland. Frame only probably suits me as the stock builds aren’t really right for me. I’d be running 120 forks.

I’d be looking at a large. Keen to hear from anyone that has ridden both.

As a side note, is the Camber- Camber Evo switch noticable? 1 degree head angle isn’t a huge difference..

chestrockwell

My mate has a 2014 Camber Evo and rates it very highly. Great all-rounder and takes everything he throws at it which is plenty due to him being a big unit and the most’rad’ of our group.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ridden and lived both. But choice more anthem versus epic which epic would win on apart from price. On my first demo on an anthem, I was amazed at the ride and the ability of the steepest stuff I could ride then and now. The camber to me is more like the trance which is also a great bike IMO.

In the end I went for a camber evo which I thought was the best of both worlds. Haven’t regretted it. Some discounted L on the web too.

All great bikes IMO

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Never owned an Anthem but got an Evo here too. Its bloody marvellous! 🙂

davros

Not ridden the anthem but I’ve been riding my camber evo for 2 years and I love it. Only downside for me is pedal strikes on rocky climbs but the descending ability more than makes up for it!

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

davros – I suffered from the low BB but switched to running a 130mm fork. Its brilliant now.

davros

rumbledethumps – I did wonder whether that would make a significant difference and contemplated upgrading to a 130 rev. Hmmm perhaps I’ll go for it at some stage.

jn49
    Free Member

Owned both, both great, you wont be disappointed with either. Giant is the more racy of the pair in my opinion. Only real Giant criticism was that the BB was a bit low and I had a fair few pedal strikes on it. Maestro suspension was great. Bought frame second hand and unfortunately cracked at top tube and seat tube weld after 2 years. Was using it more as a trail bike than a XC mile muncher, which it is probably better suited for. Got a Camber currently. Just rides really easily which may come across as a bit boring, but it just does everything well, is unfussy and flatters you. Only consideration with the Spesh is that the rear shock has a wishbone link so you’re limited on choice if you want to swap out.

br
    Free Member

I bought a s/h Camber carbon evo 29er recently, came with a Pike.

I swapped out the air spring so it’s now 140mm on the front. Not as easy to climb now, but do-able even here.

I’ve had it a few weeks now and am PRing the descents (even EWS stuff) I’ve ridden for a few years, quicker than the 26er FS (160mm Pike, 140mm rear) it replaced.

Impressive bit of kit but not sure it’s equivalent to an Amthem, probably more a Trance.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

The Anthem is very deceiving.
    On paper I would say Camber is more trail and Anthem more XC.
    The frame is lighter on the Anthem if that’s important.
    Very capable with the stock 100mm fork but more confident with a 120mm fork fitted.
    First ride on the Anthem with the 100mm fork at Coed Brenin with a group of guys on 160mm
    AM bikes.They struggled to keep pace with me on the downhills where I am normally slower!
    Great on all day epics as well,will just hammer out the miles.
    No issues with frame problems on mine.
    I believe some XL’s had frame issues which were resolved with Giant on there second batch of frames.
    Thanks,
    Max

Tiger6791

This looked cheap when I saw it

I already have a Camber 29 and it’s brilliant (Evo though)

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic46426.html

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

I’m in a similar quandary myself, leaning towards the Camber.

Has anyone spotted any deals around at the minute? Full or frame only would do.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Thanks- one large Camber frame wanted please I think 🙂

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve got a nice 2015 camber evo for sale if anyone is interested.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Trying to test a medium locally Chris, yours would be perfect but I think its just too small

gavinpearce
    Free Member

I have a camber evo. Great bike, plenty enough for me. Interested in the guys with more than 120mm forks. I thought frame only for 120?

br
    Free Member

Interested in the guys with more than 120mm forks. I thought frame only for 120?

Didn’t realise there was a law against it? 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Whenever these threads come around there seem to be lots of camber evo riders and yet I have only seen one other out in the hills!!

br
    Free Member

Whenever these threads come around there seem to be lots of camber evo riders and yet I have only seen one other out in the hills!!

Hard to differentiate from a Stumpy.

But yes, in the 6 weeks I’ve owned it I’ve only managed 170 miles (and 28,000ft of climbing) – definite Slacker 🙂

rumbledethumps
    Free Member
    russyh
    Free Member

Fd3chris if you still have your camber evo for sale. Email me please the details pal.

Thanks

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Camber 29 vs Anthem 29’ is closed to new replies.