Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Calves hurt when standing for long downhill sections
  • jimmyjames
    Free Member

Hello all,

I’ve been riding regularly (off-road) for just over six months, although I’ve ridden a bit before and have ridden bikes of some sort for my whole life.

I’ve recently started attempting longer rides than my usual and have found that my calves are hurting on the longer downhills. At first, it was just after standing for sustained periods but on the last ride it was a problem pretty much from the off. Is this normal? Will my legs get stronger and this pain go away? Is there something else causing it (cleat position, technique, etc.)?

Any help with this would be gratefully received. It gets so bad at times that I have to slow right down and descend seated. Which is lame, obviously…

Thanks!

clareymorris

Heels down, baggy knees 😀

You could try stretching them out – loosen them up a bit…

_tom_
    Free Member

I don’t get it in my calves but instead my feet start to hurt on longer bits, so I also have to sit down 🙁

stucol
    Free Member

Had this happen coming down Ben Lomond. Never had it before.

Problem for me is that i can only ride with my right leg forwards when standing ( i’m weird i guess). So i only had it on the right calf. Had i been able to change the leading leg i think it would be much less likely to occur.

Dropping the heel does help for a bit but i guess its just a fitness thing.

mandog

change to flats / move pedal cleats towards centre of foot

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Try pumping the bike through stuff using your calves. That way you wont be keeping them in the one position for so long. Using them more actively like this will make them less painful and you faster.

jimmyjames
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I might try moving my cleats nearer the middle of my foot. It feels as though that may make standing more comfortable. At the expense of power, though, perhaps.

I’ll also try stretching pre and post-ride, I think in all honesty this is just a fitness/stamina thing that will hopefully improve the more I ride.

glenp
    Free Member

I think it will get better in time/with practice. Possibly you’re not quite as relaxed as you might be also? Stiffness can be quite wearing on its own.

Moving your cleats back a bit is not going to rob your power, in act there is a school of thought that it is much better that way.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Moving your cleats back a bit is not going to rob your power, in fact there is a school of thought that it is much better that way.

Yes, you’re right there, there is.

OP – It sounds like your feet are too far foreward and that you’re trying to stand on your tip-toes as well. As Clareymorris says, heels (And wrists) down, bend your knees. 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Calves hurt when standing for long downhill sections’ is closed to new replies.