Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Calmac, How easy is it to get an earlier ferry?
  • franksinatra

I’m off to Mull at the weekend (via Oban). Currently booked on the 1930hrs boat back on Sunday. I may be running a bit earlier, can I just rock up at the ferry terminal and get on a boat? If so, what is the likelihood of there being space?

I will have my car

Ta

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Can only speak for the Arran ferry, the RET has made it very difficult to get booked on (return with 3 passengers gone from 140 to 49 quid), but IME the guys alwyas try and squeeze you on…

gari
    Free Member

When you book you “reserve” a car space on that booking, but you can travel on any sailing dependant on availability.
    Basically you go into the stand by que of any other sailing, so the earlier you arrive for a prior sailing, the closer to the front of the que you are. The peak sailing on a Sunday are between late aft/early eve. Of course it may be worth calling Calmac to see if you can change the sailing you are booked onto, school hols are over so it’s usually a little quitter now also.
    I lived on Mull for several years, hence knowing how they worked. Not a ferry spotter, just thought I would mention that 🙂

tiggs121
    Free Member

Probably be ok – just turn up and if there is a space they will let you on.

Give them a call and change your booking if you’re sure to be earlier?

scotroutes

Aye, phone up and change it if you can, or rock up as early as possible to get in the standby queue. The loaders are pretty good at getting as many on as possible. I’d have thought you’d be OK at this time of year unless there’s been any disruption due to weather etc.

franksinatra

thanks

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Last Calmac ferry I was on was to Islay, booked on but turned up early and ferry before mine was just about to leave. Asked if I could just get on, no problem and no drama either. So all depends on space, as said above.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Others may say different but I always feel that Calmac are everything a company should be including staff. Only ever met 1 person who was less that fantastic to deal with. They are very obliging at all levels.

Marge
    Free Member

I got an earlier crossing a couple of months back without a problem.

hebridean
    Free Member

Easiest way to find out is to call Calmac directly and they will tell you the best option. The Oban office number is 01631 566688. A quick look at their website suggests that there is space on all the boats on Sunday but as someone who relies on Calmac to go anywhere I would not rely on being able to rock up and get on the boat.

Mattsccm – I rely on Calmac for everyday living. As you say, others might say different. I’m one of them unfortunately!

hebridean
    Free Member

Mattsccm – should add that the staff on the boats and at the pier are excellent.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Calmac, How easy is it to get an earlier ferry?’ is closed to new replies.