• This topic has 20 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Calling Zafira (or similar MPV) owners…
  • colwyn58
    Free Member

Hi,

Am looking for a bike based car that can also carry passengers as required. Therefore with seats down can a bike (or preferably two) fit in upright with wheels on in a Zafira?

Also any suggestions other than Zafira for something that will carry 5 if needed but with back seats down will make the perfect (wheels on) bike carrier?

takisawa2

Toyota Verso wont. (We've got one).
    Mondeo will, but not upright though obviously. (We've got one also).
    Your going to be looking at a Galaxy/Sharran/Alhambra or an Espace/807.

Ambrose

Scenic does for me- two bikes, two bob trailers, two people and their kit, and two dogs too. need to take front wheels off though.

Or three bikes, dogs, kit, people, but no trailers.

If you have the choice, get the decent TD diesel version. I have the 1.6 16valve petrol. It's 'OK'. but won't get me anywhere in a hurry.

Dudie
    Free Member

Zafira will take one bike with wheels on, on the diagonal, or two nose in, side by side with the front wheels removed. This is what I do, fixing the front forks to one of those long-bar-with-a-couple-of-quick-releases-attached style internal racks. If you are not too bothered about a neat and tidy luggage compartment, you might be able to wrestle two bikes in with the wheels on but I've not tried it.

MrGreedy

As Dudie says, two bikes in with front wheels removed is easy peasy. The second row of seats actually folds up (i.e. bench part flips up vertically) then the whole unit slides forwards on rails, which I find less of a faff than folding seats down as in other cars. The only criticisms I'd have of the Zafira so far are that the petrol engines are a bit gutless and the gearbox isn't the greatest, but then again I bought it as a bike wagon, not a sportscar.

samuri
    Free Member

We have got 8 bikes (two were strapped to the back), plus 9 people's kit for ten days, plus two people in a zafira. Actually we got all that plus three other people but they were cramped up amongst the bikes and were only there for a short period. (they had to be slim people who didn't mind being squahed against a window) – I was one of them, we explored the limits of the zafiras capacity on that day. 😉 A cavernous car, it has to be said.

This one had a massive engine in it too, possible the V6 2.5 one, it went like stink! The chap driving said he had left more than one rev happy 'sports car' in it at the lights and on the motorway and that was with all our bags in it.

hora
    Free Member

Bump- interested in a Zafira

carbon337
    Free Member

Ive got a 150 cdti sri chipped to 180.

Get 2 bikes in with front wheels off and held in place using luggage straps from the anchor points. Im due to order a pendle QR adapter and mount it onto a piece of timber or something.

I like being able to wheel the bike into the car – the only problem is there is no way to say have 3 bikes in and also seat 3 people.

Email me if you need some pics or more info. Get a VXR one if you want to go through hedges with torque steer and spend tons on fuel.

I like mine though – mates take piss but dont complain when i can get 7 people in for meals out and coming back from pub. I also have a dog cage in the rear that I can remove for biking. Excellent for camping trips etc and I have also been known to sleep in the back on an airbed flat out.

pacemaker
    Free Member

I have had 3 bikes with wheels on and 3 adults in a new shape Galaxy(not the Galaxy/Alhambra/Sharan type) with no problems and still loads of room.

petrieboy

Carbon – where did you get yours chipped? Mrs has a 150cdti also and whilst it's easily brisk enough as it is, an extra bit of overtaking capability never goes amiss.

To answer OP, I can get two complete bikes in with the seats down but it means laying them ontop of each other which isn't ideal. with both wheels off my FSR goes in width ways and this way I would think 4 in the boot with middle row in place would be easy.
    We use A towbar rack so the needs never arisen.
    Brilliant car tho!

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Multipla is where it's at

Trekster

VW Touran for me. 140Tdi and mostly above 40mpg depending on right foot 😉
    My bikes are 19in/large so I tend to take wheels off and cover bikes with bike covers from poundland to stop mechs and pedals catching anything.
    Can get 3 bikes and people inside easily.
    Can fit 2 bikes across the back with seats in position. Could maybe fit 3 if the seats were slid forward. the seats are easily removed, slide back/forward and recline.
    The bit I like versus the zafira is that the Touran has three indivdual seats is more versatile.
    It is also a 7 seater when I need to ferry grand kids etc around.

Mazda 5 is also worth a look

carbon337
    Free Member

PB – Check out Diesel tuning UK – DTUK the green has adjustable power or economy using jumpers. They sometimes pop up on ebay too.

skidartist
    Free Member

I hire them occationally, to my mind compared to say a berlingo they are a spot on the narrow side, I think you can comfortably fit 2 adults and 5 children, or 4 adults and luggage. Five adults means it'll be a bit snug in the back. 7 adults would require two of them the be amputees.

edit: that said I really like them, the indicators annoy me, which I suppose means nothing else does

olie
    Free Member

Don't laugh but what about a Kia Sedona or Chrysler Voyager?

Huge, economical if diesel and can swallow bikes like they are chips with ketchup on!!!!!

We get all the family and all the families bikes in no worries, although with all 5 of us in + bikes the front wheels come off the big bikes.

carbon337
    Free Member

I've had 7 adults in mine and they have full limbs at the last check. 7 people = no luggage space though.

I could probably get 4 bikes in the boot area with wheels off width ways – not going to check tonight though.

Id use a towbar carrier for 4 bikes and sit 4 adults at comfort for our Alps trip lots of space for our kit too.

Also look less like an invalid carrier/greenhouse than a Berlingo – nothing against invalids!

hora
    Free Member

I actually like the 'look' of the prev shape Zafira. It looks agricultural/basic. Which is also why my Forester appeals to me. Not too keen on the Kia and the Chrysler just looks abit well err BIG! Cumbersome for everyday use in town etc?

Berlingo? GF's sister said that it looks like it'd take a wheelchair user pretty well. (I kid you not)

The Touran for some reason just doesnt do it for me but then I owned a mkV Golf and was sick of its paint flaking off, plastics that easily scratched and the pilling door cards. Mine was the GT TDI.

GTDave
    Free Member

Ford S-Max also well worth a look (2.0 TDCi).

druidh
    Free Member

It takes 5 seconds to remove a front wheel, so why is is SO important to have enough length to leave it on? Deleting this requirement will give you much more scope.

druidh
    Free Member

Oh – and you want a Multipla

hora
    Free Member

Ford S-Max = £££

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Calling Zafira (or similar MPV) owners…’ is closed to new replies.