Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Calling Whyte T130 owners. Your thoughts?
  • andy73
    Free Member

Having owned my Whyte T130s now for just over a month, I wondered what other owners thoughts were on this bike?
    Anyone changed bits, thoughts on the sram DB5 brakes? Frame design?
    I’ve got a few niggles that I can’t seem to pinpoint on mine. Thought today,maybe it’s not right for me even. So I Went to try a santa cruz heckler this morning as I’m very tempted to change it, but my T130 is a large and I tried a medium heckler which I couldn’t even manual as easy as my large T130, so in terms of handling, the Whyte beat the Santa cruz for me.

postierich
    Free Member

Flipped the reverb lever over on mine so its under the bars and upgraded the wheels to Hope Evo wheels /tyres, had a few issues with the chain being to long and wiping out a rear mech which was warranted! Managed to lose a rear pivot bolt 5 miles away from civilisation zip tied it up it got me back just!
    Apart from that and the paint work being a bit thin its a great bike 🙂
    If anyone is selling the original bars i need another one for a build

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qht5by]10153692_10152994270731474_6633101099459015474_n[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/r6UzV2]10945564_10153119066926474_3701438829167900118_n[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

andy73
    Free Member

Did you feel any difference after the wheel upgrade? Must admit, I was thinking of doing the same as I hate the orange hubs.
    My chain also is too long I’ve noticed.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Love my T-130 Works, changed the brakes to Hope E4s (personal preference), changed the bars for Renthal carbon ones, swapped the grips to Hopes (again personal preference), put a Maxxis Shorty fromt and rear for winter and finally just waiting on a Renthal stem and then I’m done – for now 🙂

postierich
    Free Member

My LBS have noticed a lot of whyte bikes in the 2×10 gearing are coming with chains to long,when shortening take in to consideration sag from the rear suspension on the 130 its not much.
    Wheels have made zero difference but sound a bit better and look a bit nicer in black!

Got the originals for sale if anyone needs £150 posted mint condition

mjsmke

Getting on great with mine too. Only changed tyres so far. Happy with the bars and stem but might try a 60mm stem at some point. Still playing around with the Pikes to find that ‘sweet spot’. Think i need a bottomless token in them.

Not got use to manualing it yet due to it being longer than my other bike.

andy73
    Free Member

Postierich, so now you have that “hope” freewheel click then 😉 personally I love the sound, I know others hate it though.
    What other bikes dos people try before settling on the T130?

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

I like mine (2015 works scr). Will be taking it to Afan at the weeken.

I changed the bars and stem and the rear tyre. Other than that, all good.

andy73
    Free Member

Well, I’ve decided, after a few sleepless nights of dliberation, I am parting company with my T130s to look at something else.

So if anyone knows anyone who wants it, it’s up for grabs, as per pic but with stock bars and stem. In excellent condition.

dvowles82
    Free Member

Andy, what don’t you like about it? What are you looking for in abike exactly?

andy73
    Free Member

Its hard to pinpoint, I think its a combo of small things and I know Im being very picky LOL.

Best thing about it is that its very very manouverable, however I just cant seem to gel with it. Maybe, even though I mentioned that after riding a Santa Cruz the other day that the Whyte handled better ie front wheel lifts easier, maybe Im thinking opposite to what I should, and that a more planted, slightly longer wheelbase bike may suit me even better.
    Maybe coming from my old 2012 Yeti 575, that’s set the benchmark and I cant quite stretch to another one. £3k would be my tops really.

Only other thing was that I wish they’d have done the T130s in black LOL !!!!

The difficult thing is actually getting to a shop that has a bike that I want to even try, everyones out of stock of the ones Im looking at.
    Was looking at the new Norco Sight AL 7.0 last night and seemed like a nice spec.

Keep looking at the Orange Five, but hear mixed thoughts on those.

pdV6
    Free Member

I’ve come from a 26″ Five to a T130S.
    Couldn’t get on with the fork on the demo bike, so upgraded to a Pike reduced to 140mm.
    6 weeks in and only a few minor niggles:
    [list][*]Slight top-out clunk from the fork[/*]
    [*]Occasionally noisy brakes (nowhere near as squealy as Juicy 5’s though)[/*]
    [*]Slight tendency for the front pads to drag a bit, especially on landing it seems – no idea why that should be![/*]
    [*]WTB tyres are fine in the dry & on hard trails. Pretty rubbish in wet mud though.[/*][/list]

The DB5 brakes were the big unknown for me but they seem to have plenty of stopping power (I’m 18st+). I’ve read that they’re essentially the same as Guides but with no external adjustments of any kind.

Overall: very happy with it so far.

stinkytrooper
    Free Member

Sorry to bring up an old thread but pdV6, how are you finding the T130 now? I’m considering a T130 and an Orange five. Given the chance to buy new again, would you pick the T130 over the five?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Calling Whyte T130 owners. Your thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.