Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Calling Whyte E120 owners
  • MisterT

Any of you having trouble with corroded set tube? I.e the chrome plated metal insert that your post sits in. I have a seriously stuck carbon post, it won’t budge at all and I can see the w
    Shiny chrome section is flaking and I guess the metal is corroded inside the frame and thus post is stuck fast.
    So wondering if any other owners have had similar?
    Frame is only a year old so wonder if this would be covered by warranty .

rickon
    Free Member

Take the whole clamp out and try to twist it out. I had this loads on two e120s. The warranty guys at a2b are pretty cool… never bothered them with the seapost.

You’ll also probably get someone saying to grease it before, I always do… and mine proper seized after a few days.

MisterT

yup, tried that rickon – to no avail. it’s seriously stuck fast. in fact over the last 2 weeks I’ve been riding it with the clamp unit removed, hoping that body weight would be enough to budge the post, but no movement at all. also removed the saddle and tried getting a large wrench on the top of the post to put in a twisting motion, but still it won’t budge.

RepacK
    Free Member

Oops..If you are going to grease the post then you need a carbon specific grease I think – otherwise the carbon just absorbs the grease & swells & you’re kind of stuck. Not sure what else you can do – ask your lbs for help.

rickon
    Free Member

Next step…. put seatpost in a vice, and use the frame as leverage to twist it.

Mine seemed to seize after a cold day, i’m sure some scientician can shed some light on rate of expansion/contraction of carbon and aluminium.

repack… sorry i used Tacx carbon grease, lovely stuff.

RepacK
    Free Member

Ah right rickon must be something else than mate – pleased to hear it wasnt the grease, Ive heard that can be a bit of a deal breaker..

MisterT

Just spoken to warranty guys at ATB sales and he reckons this is a valid warranty claim, so good result!
    Gotta send them the frame and post and they should replace both if due to corrosion of frame.
    For ref it’s an alloy insert into the carbon frame, the insert is nickel plated and the corrosion is under the plating and causing the nickel to flake etc, thus the carbon post is stuck.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Calling Whyte E120 owners’ is closed to new replies.