Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Calling UST experts
  • Farmer_John
    Free Member

I’ve finally decided to give it a go with XC UST tyres and have narrowed down my choice of tyres to:

Maxxis Monorail LUST
    Maxxis Advantage LUST
    Continental Race King UST
    Kenda Dred Tread UST
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph Evolution UST
    Stans notubes the raven

I’m looking for a fast light (ish) tyre that will last a while?

Are any of those worth a closer look?

Cheers!

njee20
    Free Member

‘UST’ and ‘light’ don’t really go together. With UST you get excellent reliability and compatibility, good puncture resistance etc, but not light weight.

Non-UST Schwalbe tyres are worth a look if you want lightweight, they run very well as tubeless, but will be harder to inflate on UST rims, also more fragile.

Of your list I’d strongly recommend the Racing Ralph, although having now fitted some Rocket Rons I’d say they’re a more versatile tyre and definitely worth a look. Certainly lighter in the non-UST guise than a Ralph too.

RealMan
    Free Member

I’m pretty much just doing what you’re about to do, and I spent ages looking at all the different tyres.

Eventually decided on Continental Mountain King UST 2.2 (front and back)

AndyPaice
    Free Member

“Non-UST Schwalbe tyres are worth a look if you want lightweight, they run very well as tubeless, but will be harder to inflate on UST rims, also more fragile.”

complete opposite in my experience. Tried to get a 2.4 big betty to work with stans no tubes kit and it would not stay inflated. far too slack a fit on the rim (mavic ex729) to seal

njee20
    Free Member

We’ll I’ve got 2 pairs of Nobby Nics, 2 pairs of Racing Ralphs, Furious Freds, Rocket Rons and 1.5″ Black Sharks to inflate and seal first time with a track pump, that’s what 14 tyres! I find it really odd that people struggle with them!

I’ve done them on Olympic and Roval rims admittedly, which maybe slightly tighter. If the tyre’s baggy, put another layer of tape on.

nickc

I’ve never got any non-UST Schwalbe tyre to go tubeless

markd
    Free Member

i run 3 bikes all with UST nics on them.

various rim combos all with joes.

not one problem apart from me exploding one in the workshop at 90 psi and coating me and the surrounding area in a thin layer of latex…..mmmm bukkake.

garnyam
    Free Member

Depends where you are riding.
    Halo Choir Masters UST, are very cheap and work well, very durable.
    Drier conditions, stick a Larsen UST on the front.

dobo
    Free Member

i’ve used 2.1 and 2.25 NN & RR non tubeless and have got them all to work with a track pump on 3 sets of wheels, they work well tubeless, sometimes i have a bit of a mare sometimes they work first time.
    I also got some ust NN RR and they really are easy to inflate.

if you want reliability go ust if you want to race go non ust.

i wouldnt mind trying some rocket rons, vredstein blank panther and race king 2.2

i thought i’d add that if you ride RR on road they wear fast, but that could be said for most mtb tyres i guess.

Bontrager tubeless ready tyres are good, like mudx, acx, not sure what they have to offer in faster tyres, but could be worth a look

njee20
    Free Member

On the strength of today I’d really rate Rons, surprisingly grippy in the wet, possibly better than a Nic.

dobo
    Free Member

njee20 what size Rons did you go for?

they sure are expensive, but bike24 has some rons in a ORC compound version for 21.99 euro hmm

njee20
    Free Member

I got 2.1″ Evolution Rons from Bike24, ordered Tuesday night, turned up Friday morning and cost less than trade in the UK, can’t argue!

kiwijohn

Fast, light? Monorails is good.

Farmer_John
    Free Member

Fab, thanks peeps.

The Evo Rons look like a winner but seem to be massively expensive at £46 each. I think I might go with the conti’s to save a few quid.

njee20
    Free Member

Or buy your Schwalbe tyres from Germany, forget exactly what I paid, think it was about £65 for the pair.

Or buy these, which are worryingly good value!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Calling UST experts’ is closed to new replies.