• This topic has 52 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by gogg.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Calling the fish & chip experts to the forum
  • busydog
    Free Member

Have a couple of questions about traditional fish & chips recipes, specifically what is considered the best fish to use and how best cooked/prepared. The chips part I know, but the fish, not so sure anymore.
    I still have fond recollection of fish and chips when I lived in the UK a lifetime ago. No place local has a clue how to properly prepare, so want to try it at home.

Being here in the desert Southwest US, fish choices are a little more limited than one would find on either US coast (don’t think Rio Grande catfish or rainbow trout would do the trick), but can get cod, haddock and sometime others(usually frozen, but one market gets it in fresh on occasion).
    Any help appreciated

nbt

Cod is the normal choice in most UK chippies, Haddock is making a move as it’s considered a more “eco” choice as the cod stocks in the north atlantic were hit massively by overfishing. Pollock is used sometimes too

CountZero

Cod, FTW.

shifter
    Free Member

In Grimsby it’s Haddock.

paulmgreen
    Free Member

I prefer haddock personally…… Was born in Grimsby !

grtdkad

The magic is in the batter though, no?

grtdkad

🙄

bearnecessities

The ‘magic’ is in temp/age of oil, fish, then batter mix.

busydog
    Free Member

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I am going to have to do some homework on finding a good batter recipe.

pondo

If last weekend is anything to go by, I recommend riding until your vision starts to go. Then the reheated crap they had left over from lunch tastes like ambrosia (the food of the gods, not the tinned rice pudding).

matthewjb
    Free Member

cod/haddock depends on your location in the UK. Here in the north it’s Haddock all the way.

And it should be chips not fries. So not skinny, crisp potato but thick.

And fry in beef dripping for true authenticity.

grtdkad

Double fry the chips

spooky_b329

I heard sparkling water makes a good batter?!

izakimak
    Free Member

Cod in beer batter cooked in dripping.

bearnecessities

^^ That’s making me hungry.

paladin

Haddock, although there’s more cod than water in the north sea, regardless of what hugh-fearnley-whatsisname says.

And breaded rather than battered 🙂

Drac

cod/haddock depends on your location in the UK. Here in the north it’s Haddock Cod all the way.

gordimhor

Haddock in batter wrapped in newspaper and eaten standing up , outside on an autumn evening during a gentle rain shower 😀

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Can’t bloody remember which one but a while ago I heard a little BBC podcast about fish and chips. It was either Hardeep Singh Kohli or Jay Rayner in the Kitchen Cabinet or Sheila Dillion on The Food Programme. Gave lots of hints and tips…… Including the fact that British Fish and Chips is actually from Keerala in India.

br
    Free Member

And breaded rather than battered

Who let the Southerners’ in?

patriotpro
    Free Member

Haddock is the best and what’s used in my part of the North. Who wants to eat the vacuum of the seabed…(cod)…

Maris Piper potatoes cooked in beef dripping and never, EVER oil of any variety. Chips thick-cut.

Batter recipes are usually kept secret so I’d suggest trial and error on that score.

Drac

I thought it was of jewish origin?

john_drummer
    Free Member

Haddock in Leeds/Bradford/Wakefield. Cod pretty much everywhere else unless specified above

patriotpro
    Free Member

Please stand in the corner and think about you have just said…

garage-dweller

Who let the Southerners’ in?[/quote]

That’s not acceptable even down south. That’s only for weirdos.

imp999
    Free Member

Battered Haddock
    Went back to Robin Hoods Bay 20 years after me & Mrs imp did Wainwright’s C2C & the fish & Chips was still the best ever!
    And I’ve et a few!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

British Fish and Chips is actually from Keerala in India.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln5QgeCL1fs[/video]

robhughes
    Free Member
    slowoldman

…and don’t forget you’ll need something moist.

johndoh
    Free Member

Blanched chips and if using frozen fish, dust in flour before battering.

And for proper chippy flavour, no vinegar, use non-brewed condiment.

colournoise

Cod or Haddock – either is equally good depending on what you can get. Fresh is best, but frozen OK (personally I like a chunk of Rock over either of those, but that’s going to be harder to get hold of).

Simple batter – well seasoned 50/50 flour and cornflour mixed with sparkling water and fried straight away (oil or dropping makes no real odds – personally prefer a tasteless oil).

Chips – hand cut and fairly fat. As others have said double fried but not too crispy for an authentic chip shop feel.

Nice but of tartar sauce and you’re good to go.

busydog
    Free Member

…and don’t forget you’ll need something moist.

Assuming you mean of the adult beverage variety??

Thanks everyone

totalshell

tartar sauce.. more southerners.

you have salt vinegar and tommy k, couple of slice bread and butter ( white ..) best eaten with fingers straight out of paper. pot of tea to wash em down.. wipe fingers on sleeve or trousers.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cod, but due to the overfishing issues you really shouldn’t be going there.
    Though FTW use the best local fresh fish you can get, I now enjoy snapper, blue grenadier, barramundi, hake or gummy shark (flake).

So a nice white fish and cook it properly.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Haddock in scotland always beef dripping optional but preffered

theblackmount
    Free Member

Cod or Haddock? Like comparing Flounder to Turbot…

No contest imo – Haddock.

Not a batter expert but beer or sparkling water helps. Don’t get the beef dripping thing either, I’d stay away from drowning it in saturated fat myself.

tomd
    Free Member

Always seems to be haddock or whiting in Scotland.

paladin

b r – Member

Who let the Southerners’ in?

North Scotland 😉

Battered from the chippie, but breaded at home

pictonroad

Pie.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Calling the fish & chip experts to the forum’ is closed to new replies.