Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Calling tall riders. Enduro bike for a 6'6"/2 meter rider.
  • Toasty

6’6″ here, with long legs. I’ve got an XL Enduro 29, XXL Stumpjumper FSR 29 and an odd selection of 21″-23″ hardtail bits. I spent years trying to get bigger and bigger bikes, until I got the Stumpy, which was absolutely huge and made me realise that getting the biggest bike in the world wasn’t always going to make riding more fun.

To get it in perspective, looking at the new Cubes, like you had before. A 20″ Cube Stero 29 has a 608mm horizontal top tube, a 22″ has 619mm. The XXL Stumpjumper had a ridiculous 668mm.

I certainly wouldn’t dismiss the XL bikes if you’re after fun. The huge XXL bike is certainly quick and looks nicely in proportion, it’s hard to chuck around though.

XXL Stumpjumper FSR

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q603wbrw19tyjjo/20150716_142707.jpg

XXL Stumpjumper HT of a similar era also doesn’t look too silly:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/asrg302u6mhoqa2/2014-05-08%2020.06.40.jpg

Sadly I’ve turned into a bit of a roady this year and ended up with 2 road bikes, my house is getting a bit ridiculous. If you’re anywhere near the Midlands you’d be welcome to have a ride on either and see if they’re what you’re after. I plan to keep one of the full sus, I don’t actually mind which though.

The XXL Stumpy HT frame is rather tragically sat in a cupboard at the moment, I stuck a Singular Swift frame in it’s place for commuting. You could have that for not much if you wanted.

Chainline
    Free Member

Nicolai frames have 5yr warranty which I’m 95% captain is transferable.

I said it many times before but it depends what fun is for you.

My 5’2″ daughters bike has a 600mm ETT and 465mm reach with a 350mm ST. It’s extra small. That bike is designed for riders between 4’10” and 5’5. She has fun as it gives her confidence to have fun and ride stuff that she otherwise wouldn’t.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

I’d say definitely don’t discount the Bird Aeris 145 in XL (even though it’s 650b) as the reach is 530. The geo is not far off the Geometron, if not quite as slack. The stack isn’t all that high though, so that might be something to think about.

Euro
    Free Member

My 5’2″ daughters bike has a … 465mm reach

That’s 2mm longer than my XL bike!!! 😆

Chainline
    Free Member

euro

sherry
    Free Member

I might have went for the Nicoli on eBay but it was without warranty and didn’t have a shock for about 865 quid. That’s just too much of a gamble at that sort of price. If the price is right I would go with geometron but around 3k is the my budget. So it will be unlikely that I wi?l get a geometron for that even second hand. I think the whyte or transition look good. 29er is my first choice.mif If i can get close 500mm reach I’m sure I will be fine. I used to have a meta 6 years ago and have never been OTB so much in my life. Short wheelbase, steepish head angle and high BB were lethal.

Toasty

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/shop/full-suspension-29-20247/l-24

One option, still loads of interesting frames for not much.

Chainline
    Free Member

Is it really hard to get demos on XL and XXL bikes?
    In my experience, it is not hard, it is near enough impossible.
    Apart from with Mojo and the GeoMetrons, I think Cotic also.
    As mentioned Nicolai warranty is 5yr but almost certain that is transferable. Breaking is not something you hear of in the same breath as Nicolai unless it’s been wrapped round a tree Minaar style.

Mojo have G13/s in stock and we’re doing some deals on packages.

As someone said, I’d be looking to get a frame that will work for you rather than aiming high with components. You can always upgrade if necessary as funds allow.

niall1975
    Free Member

Hi im 6’5 and 110kg & ride a 2015 Spesh Enduro 29er and love it. Fits well, not too tall. Absolute riot to ride on the trails and very low maintenance i might add.

Niall

davosaurusrex

Have you looked at the 23″ XXL Trek Fuel Ex? I’m just under 6’4″ and ride a 21.5. The jump up to the 23″ is pretty big, has reach of 505ish from memory and a good bit more stack. I’m really liking mine, only issue is the SA is effective but in reality if you’re tall with the saddle at pedalling height it is pretty slack which doesn’t help climbing. That said it still climbs pretty well for the type of bike it is

sherry
    Free Member

I think the new Bird AM9 looks like another contender. Geometery numbers look good. I think its down to whyte, transition, bird and spesh i think. Geometron is out of my price range. Cheers for All the suggestions. Nice to see a good 29er selection for 2018.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Calling tall riders. Enduro bike for a 6'6"/2 meter rider.’ is closed to new replies.