Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Worth lightening bike?
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I have a 2010 that I built up and have mainly used for DH. However, I am finding that I am doing less DH these days and want to do more trail riding.

Is it worth trying to lighten up my SX Trail (it weighs in the high 30s at the moment), or am I just wasting my time and money?

The obvious areas are the tyres, shock (Fox DHX5 coil) and the forks (RS Lyrik 170 DH), but I could also change the stem and seatpost. The rest of the kit is already fairly AM friendly.

I do still want something that I can use for DH, but that is more pedal and climb friendly.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I’ve got similar kit on my pitch (DHX4, 160 Lyriks), which weighs in at 30lbs. I run it 9 speed with the lightweight straitline device and with tubeless hans dampf tyres, which both help keep the weight down. I’m not going to pretend it is a pleasure to ride up hills, but it does make a good trail bike which can be winched out for DH if I fancy it.

I love it – its a great bike.

ahwiles
    Free Member

you’ll spend thousands.

buy a camber for £1200.

n+1 etc.

mikey74
    Free Member

you’ll spend thousands.

That’s my point: Is it worth the money? Am I just going to end up dragging an anchor around? I suspect so.

It doesn’t look like they do the Pitch any more. I do quite like the look of the Stumpy FSR Comp EVO.

ahwiles
    Free Member

if you can only have 1 bike…

I do quite like the look of the Stumpy FSR Comp EVO.

these are awesome.

chiefgrooveguru

Probably not. Quicker rolling tyres and a shock that bobs less when climbing will make more difference than losing weight. I wouldn’t want to lose weight on the forks if it made the handling noodly or lose weight on the tyres if it meant significantly less grup and/or more punctures. Can you lock the current fork and shock? Being able to do that and stand and stomp for climbs would make a world of difference if you have the fitness/strength.

mikey74
    Free Member

I think the shock has pro-pedal but not lock-out.

I do have a hardtail I use for local jaunts, but I don’t have much room and I’m considering selling the SX Trail and the Rocky Mountain hardtail and replacing them with one bike.

Having said that, I think I would miss having a hardtail.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Worth lightening bike?’ is closed to new replies.