Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Calling Personal Trainers…
  • ChuckMorris
    Free Member

…how did you get into it?

At the minute I get zero job satisfaction. I’m looking at a career change and I’m really not sure what I want to do.

I’m thinking it’s something I can start off with in the evenings and weekends to get a taste for it before I take the plunge.

How much does accreditation cost? and liability insurance?

peakyblinder
    Free Member

I did it some years ago, a bout of depression, sick of IT etc. Costs weren’t massive, did some central YMCA certs mostly home study with onsite assessment days. Insurance isn’t a lot (say £25 a month for £1m worth).

But… I struggled to make any real money. Figured out it wasn’t the job that was the problem, and ended up back in IT within a year.

Whiney clients were an issue too. “I’d like you to make me thin, but I won’t diet, I am not going to work hard and I don’t like sweating very much”. etc…

Rockape63
    Free Member

My BIL retired from the police and did a course and managed to get a job at a gym training up people referred to him by the council….bifters who need to lose weight, have health issues etc. He also does a circuit training evening and joined his local BNI who recommend him to individuals etc.

Seems to be making some money out of it. You have to be a bit of a Networker I think to do well.

wrecker
    Free Member

I know some peeps. The personal trainer types seem to struggle to make it pay. Those who I know who do well/OK have bootcamp/small group training companies. Very cheap to set up, market in your town via social media etc. They are all ex military so they play on the whole green thing. If you have a bit of capital I’d recommend that you check if there is any crossfit boxes in your area. They all seem to do well (this is NOT a comment WRT the rights and wrongs of CF)

mrjmt
    Free Member

My wife looked into this recently, think the main place to get qualified is via REPS, sure that there was an option with a job offer at a gym at the end. Not sure of the details though.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Calling Personal Trainers…’ is closed to new replies.