Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Calling People of Yorkshire
  • ade9933
    Free Member

is this route ‘that’ good?

http://www.mbr.co.uk/routes/northern-england/west-yorkshire-best-yorkshire-gps-route/

trying to swing a trip up that way and looking for a couple of days riding without going too far north (i.e. the lakes)

Thanks.

Ade

keng38
    Free Member

I don’t know about good but it’s looking like its all road and some of it is bloody steep.

tmb467
    Free Member

Gorple Road is a great ride

Beautiful scenery, some long climbs and some great singletrack.

Some of that ‘road’ is part of the Mary Townley loop and the grassy singletrack after the reservoirs is awful when it’s wet. The drag around Long Causeway is horrible in a headwind but it’s the Calder Valley…and the descent back to Tod is lovely

Do it and have a good day out. It’s best in the dry but holds up well in the rain

Cowman

Yeah, done that route and the smaller gorple-lite more times than I can remember, you wont be disappointed.

If you want a longer similar route, try the Mary Townley Loop that has lots of this in.

Hope this helps

Cow

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Good ride and endless opportunities to extend it.

If it were me, I’d do the start a little differently and slog up to Heptonstall, do Blue Pig and then take the BW north from Hardcastle Craggs to the House Of Sh*t and then loop over the tops to Walshaw. Then farm track to Widdop.

Then the far end of the ride takes you down Rams Clough. This is great when its dry but in the wet can be a bit of a slog so if its been raining beforehand, carry on down to Hurstwood Res and then you can do a loop of the purpose built swoopy stuff in the woods there.

Rest of the ride is spot on. There are some guides that point you in the direction of a climb up the south side of the valley to Mankinholes once you pop out at Eastwood and then along the London Road back to Hebden. Sack this off unless a) you love big climbs on steep roads, b) you like long slogs along gradually climbing broken farm tracks and c) you know of the good, cheeky descent options back to the station area.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I don’t know about good but it’s looking like its all road and some of it is bloody steep

Always good to get first hand experience :S

There is a road section along Long Causeway but thats it. The rest is almost entirely farm/double/single track.

ade9933
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Think road trip will wait a while but good to have the additional input.

Thanks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Calling People of Yorkshire’ is closed to new replies.