Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • calling IT Boffs
  • D28boy
    Free Member

Wonder if anyone can help…. I occasionally get an exception report

“Rundll32.exe

windows cannot access the specified drive/path. You may not have appropriate permission to access the item “

I have admistrator rights on the system & I’m the only user. Though the machine was previously used by an ex-employee.

I also get this fault in the “Set prog access & defaults” prog .

Can anyone suggest what’s causing this. The PC runs ok & I’ve done virus checks etc

Cougar

It could, literally, be anything.

Does your “etc” include a malware scan? I’d get Malwarebytes run on there for a start.

Run a chkdsk against your system drive.

Could be a hardware issue (tenuously) – run Memtest, there’s a bootable ISO image available at http://www.memtest.org/download/4.10/memtest86+-4.10.iso.zip

Run ‘sfc /scannow’ from a command prompt to check that your system files are intact.

surfer
    Free Member

It could, literally, be anything.

Anything?

😉

D28boy
    Free Member

google is yoour friend

Hustler can you vouch for this as I done a little poking aound & found this:-

http://msmvps.com/blogs/donna/archive/2010/06/18/avoid-buying-restoreguard-it-s-a-rogue-software.aspx

you try sustituting your name as she states intead of Rundll and you’ll get the same web page but with “having problems with “your name” “instead

Google can also be your enemy if you don’t know what you’re doing. That’s why I directed the question to IT boffs. But thanx anyways

Cougar

Anything?

Well, ok, it’s probably unrelated to North American tea imports. There again, sneaky buggers them Chinese.

Cougar

I’ve never heard of “Restoreguard.” I’d be very wary of software that a) doesn’t tell you what it does but promises magical fixes for obscure problems, and b) I’ve never heard of.

(Not that I’m blowing my own trumpet, just that I’ve been dealing with this stuff since I was in short pants and if there was a magic bullet it’s fairly likely I’d have heard of it.)

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Quite often infection related in my experience, is it running from the system 32 directory? Are you using XP?

D28boy
    Free Member

I am using XP but…. is what running from system 32 directory?

xiphon
    Free Member

Step 1: Update and run your anti-virus to do a full scan. If you don’t have one, Microsoft’s own Microsoft Security Essentials is very good (and free).

Step 2: Download, install (and update!) and run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Step 3: Download, install, update and run Spybot Search & Destroy.

—————
    All three above removed all traces of a very annoying rogue “My Security Shield” fake anti-virus this afternoon.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Go to start/run type msconfig the select the startup tab, look through the list for rundll32 and it will say what folder it is running from, you can untick the box anyway, also look dfor anything with a spurious name such as wwwwwfwfwff rtrtet4y7647, if there is anything with a gibbersih name you can untick those too.

All the above softeware is very good but to kick things off I’d download combofix and run from safe mode. Tap F8 repeatedly after the bios splash screen.

Download combofix from here – http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

schrickvr6
    Free Member

And by all the above software I meant in Xiphons post not restoreguard.

D28boy
    Free Member

Thanx for all your “boff” advice. have now managed to fix my annoying problem

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘calling IT Boffs’ is closed to new replies.