Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Calling all you consumer rights experts…
  • Spin
    Free Member

I know there’s a few of you out there!

Trying to cut a long story short:

We rent a flat out and the 3 month old washing machine packed in.

Called Currys on 1st August who sent out an engineer on the 6th. He said he’d have to order parts and that it would be 31st of October before they arrived.

We then called Currys who said that they have to give the manufacturer a ‘reasonable amount of time’ to supply parts. This is interpreted by Kenwood as 28 days. Currys have lodged a complaint but say they can take no other action until this time has passed.

What do folks suggest?

scotroutes

Sell the flat you capitalist bastard!

Spin
    Free Member

I expected no more from you Scotroutes. 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Don’t ever deal with curry’s, they are shite.

Try someone decent.

Spin
    Free Member

Hey mods, could you change my thread title to ‘calling all you smart arses’ so that it more accurately reflects the responses? 😉

matt_outandabout

Your tenant needs a working machine. Sort that.

Then use your landlords insurance or credit card you bought on (always a cc for these things) to go after Currys. Not acceptable.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hoof them* in the slats.

*Tenants, Currys, whoever. Do I look like I give a shit?

jambaron
    Free Member

I believe the Kenwood name is licensed by Currys for there own appliances!

Spin
    Free Member

(always a cc for these things)

Forgot about the whole credit card thing protection thing. Cheers.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Dump the machine on Curry’s doorstep, having pre-warned the local rag.

project
    Free Member

email KENWOOD direct and ask them currys dont always tell the truth .

Junkyard
    Free Member

Advise tenants to use the launderette?
    Buy S/H machine to last a few weeks then re sell it?

Greybeard
    Free Member

If Currys know you’re renting it out, I believe they can argue that it’s a commercial situation and consumer protection laws doesn’t apply. But on the other hand, any product has to be fit for purpose, and failing after 3 months isn’t. Why not tell Curry’s to replace it, pronto, or you’ll replace it and claim the cost from them.

Your contract is with Currys, not Kenwood, so legally you go through them.

Spin
    Free Member

That was my first thought.

martinhutch

Do you know what part is under order? If so, check online spares suppliers to see if Curry’s/Kenwood are telling porkies about the lead time. I’d be very surprised if any part on a new washer takes six weeks to arrive.

TBH, that wouldn’t be interpreted as reasonable by most folk – I would be asking for a replacement washer now.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

What’s reasonable for Kenwoods?
    What’s reasonable for you?
    What’s reasonable for the tennants?
    Who is the most important?
    Figure this out, then get it sorted.

Cougar

Under SoGA they have to make good “within a reasonable time and without causing significant inconvenience’. I’d say not having a washer for three months would constitute a significant inconvenience. Whatever Kenwood tell Curry’s is not your concern, that’s their problem.

On a three month old appliance I’d be chasing a replacement or a refund.

Not quite. Legally, they have to make good, but there’s nothing to stop you approaching Kenwood directly instead if you think you might get a better service, it’s just that Curry’s can’t force you to do that as it’s their responsibility. (And if you do approach Kenwood directly, they can decline to deal with you if they choose.)

jambaron
    Free Member

Kenwood do not manufacture the machine, they won’t be able to help you. Currys license the name for use on white goods.

theotherjonv

Tell them you find being without a machine for 3 months to be unacceptable, and for a machine that’s only 3 months old anyway, doubly so. So you want it replaced or a refund immediately. Go into the shop and discuss with someone directly. Calm helps, assertively and at a reasonable volume on a Saturday may help too.

Spin
    Free Member

Cheers folks, much appreciated.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Had a simalar issue with indcit on a new hob recently. Their customer service was so bad I think they were trying to make it easier for you to buy a new hob over the the one you bought replaced / repaired. They are all useless bastards.

hels
    Free Member

Take up complaint with Currys. In the meantime, ask tenants to go to launderette and keep receipts, you will refund to a reasonable amount. Claim off the landlord tax you are of course dutifully paying.

fionap

As a tenant renting a property which includes white goods, I wouldn’t expect to be without a washing machine for any more than a week, max. Going to the launderette wouldn’t be an acceptable solution for any longer period of time even if the landlord was paying the cost of the washes – there’s the inconvenience and loss of time to factor in too.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Calling all you consumer rights experts…’ is closed to new replies.