• This topic has 180 replies, 57 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by juan.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 181 total)
  • Calling all women bikers & men if they wish to comment too!
  • Lionheart
    Free Member

Not sure this helps, but the big break through here was the move from a HT to a Santa Cruz Juliana, made the red runs easy (apparently), she did not see the need for speed or has more sense. Now rides horses more than I ride bikes (they need attention twice a day!! um ..I think my Yeti does…..) and the Juliana gathers dust. There are no women in any of our riding groups and there are no men (or boys) at the stable 20+ horses. So one conclusion is: blokes its speed and competition (that might be against one’s self) and women its social and relationships – other riders and the horse….

chappy1
    Free Member

bunnyhop Thanks for that do you know why shecycles shut down was it due to lack of interest? I find it hard to find people to bike with other than the blokes and sometimes would like to take a more leisurely ride but it seems difficult to get to meet other women or groups even though I live in an MTB area.

millsonwheels
    Free Member

Chappy1, Shecycles is still going, although its fairly quiet. http://www.shecycles.net/index.php

I am sure there are a few women in your area.

bionicwoman
    Free Member

chappy shecycles went as was covered by magilicia, they pulled the plug, I spoke to Cinnamon Girl who told me of your plight as i’m on the larger side, she has my email if you need it
    Gayle

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

If more women realised how much better their bottoms looked after a few months mountainbiking

the downside being the bruises on the legs etc…

zaskar
    Free Member

I couldn’t care less if cyclists were male or female.

Just get out of the way.

On your right (I’m crashing/tumbling through!) :mrgreen:

I find the female cyclists are polite too unlike some of the chavs cyclists.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I have been MTbing for 17 years since I was 13, I got into it young as I was a tomboy and my brother started. I think a lot of the comments above are fairly true.

Women who get into it later in life tend to be more cautious about falling off and breaking body parts/looks etc. I’ve never cared what I look like on a bike as I’m not trying to impress/pull! I think a lot of women are definately put off by gung ho blokes wanting to rush around and do fat jumps. Me and some mates in Cardiff make an effort to entice new women out into MBing but on women only MTB rides as a starting point. relaxed, can get advice, we can talk about kit (puppies and hair products). They can ask more honest questions, get advice and not feel like blokes are critizing or intimidating.

What annoys me most is why some men are so pig headed sometimes? You ever catch a slow woman up they will make an effort to allow you to pass WHEN possible and I would never harass them. Men will refuse point blank as they don’t want to be over taken by a women or they go past you on a descent at a very dodgy moment taking you out and then hey are crap and you end up overtaking! This was a classic that I was having an Afan yesterday!!! Men can be too pig headed to sometimes except that women are better than them. Hence women only groups tend to go out and have a lot more fun … plus as bunnyhop mentioned there is always cake and tea at the end.

Again a lot of people get introduced through boyfriend/husband and getting/giving advice can turn into rows. You go out with mates you are more likely to take their advice when riding especially if it’s a women who you have followed and realise are quite good a downhilling or techincal single track. I have a mate that’s pants at downhilling, I can shout at her to get her weight off the saddle or she’ll crash, when her boyfriend does they both end up sulking for hours!!

I think definately women only rides and bring back a women only forum. Shecycles was great and very well used with, here just frustrates me sometimes look at the typical first few post responses that you get!! I know some of it is meant in jest but with newbies coming along they may just be put off.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I know some of it is meant in jest but with newbies coming along they may just be put off.

to be frank if they’re put off by a few mild ribald remarks being smashed into rocks, soaked in sweat and covered in filth isn’t going to appeal either 🙁

some recent off colour remarks by female riders:
    1) this is so good, all I need now is an orgasm
    2) I make the same noises on a steep climb as when I’m having sex!

london_lady
    Free Member

Trails graded for women is a bit patronizing IMO.
    If there is something I don’t like the look of riding then I won’t – I like my teeth where they are and do not feel the urge to try to compete with more competent riders – both female and male – I know my limitations. Been out today with two blokes and we did see a number of ladies out riding – one lady did catch the eye of the guys when she started doing her stretching exercises in a low cut cropped top (rolls eyes!). WSD bikes and ladies clothing has come along in leaps and bounds to encourage ladies to ride.
    Maybe the marketing of mountain biking in some of the magazines as adrenaline fueled sport with a macho undertone doesn’t help.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Boys find competent biking girls sexy. Correct me if I’m wrong, but girls find boys who dance well sexy.

So the moral of this story is for more boys to take dancing classes and more girls to join MTB clubs. 🙂

aleigh
    Free Member

At the end of the day it’ll be up to the woman to start this hobby if she wishes to, same rule applies to any hobby for a man – you do it because you want to and because you can, unless of course you have pushy partners! 😆

I started biking because I was intrigued and overall have loved every minute of it.

Tailoring things to a woman defeats the object as I suspect most of us would want to be treated as equals………….same goes for the birds that play footy.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Bend it like aleigh :o)

aleigh
    Free Member

Well…………I hate football so wouldn’t be bending anything personally!

FoxyChick
    Free Member

I don’t get all this “male” sport millarky regarding mtb’ing.
    I see rugby as a male sport and football(yes I know some women play them), but I view mtb’ing like skiing…a non gender-specific activity.
    If women want to ride bikes then they will!
    Been out today up at Keswick and saw as many women riding as men.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I do agree that a lot of the time if women want to ride they will, however he less confident amongst us (I’m not ashamed to say I’m not) just need a little encouragement away from the glaring eyes of machismo, and I’m not normally one for saying that. But I really want to encourage more women to MTB I see how much joy, how many friends I’ve met and awesome holidays I’ve had through MTbing and I want others to feel my love!

I don’t think women specific trails will work (IMO) but rides, support, interne sites then yes, some women will not feel comfortable posting on here, like the recent bloke that asked for some women he could e-mail. His girlfriend has a personal question that she didn’t want to post, loads of us answered and hopefully sorted out her problems!

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

FoxyChick
    I don’t get all this “male” sport millarky regarding mtb’ing.
    I see rugby as a male sport and football(yes I know some women play them), but I view mtb’ing like skiing…a non gender-specific activity.

The majority of women don’t like being cold wet and dirty. The majority of women don’t like peeing in the bushes. The majority of women don’t particularly like being covered in cuts and bruises. The majority of women aren’t very mechanically minded. The majority of women aren’t interested in tech or gadgetry. The majority of women don’t like spending their free time digging in the woods. The majority of women think riding bikes in the mountains is silly/dangerous/pointless etc.

aleigh
    Free Member

how do you know?

FoxyChick
    Free Member

The majority of women don’t like being cold wet and dirty. The majority of women don’t like peeing in the bushes. The majority of women don’t particularly like being covered in cuts and bruises. The majority of women aren’t very mechanically minded. The majority of women aren’t interested in tech or gadgetry. The majority of women don’t like spending their free time digging in the woods. The majority of women think riding bikes in the mountains is silly/dangerous/pointless etc.

Well thank god I’m not in the majority of women then!! 8)

Oh, and I don’t much like peeing out and about…but hey… 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The majority of women don’t like spending their free time digging in the woods

me either! I want to have fun and that sounds too much like work 🙁

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

aleigh
    how do you know?

Ah…..you caught me out. I realise now that I was making sweeping generalisations based on impressions received from every female in my life as opposed to any serious statistical research.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Oh, and what’s all this digging in the woods about? 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Oh, and what’s all this digging in the woods about?

it’s all they have in the sarf where there are no mountains 🙁

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Ah, poor sarfunners!!! 😉

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

FoxyChick
    Oh, and what’s all this digging in the woods about?

Er, it’s just something some men do so we can get away from the wives for a few hours.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Er, it’s just something some men do so we can get away from the wives for a few hours.

I don’t think it’s fair gay men marry women as camouflage 🙁

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Urmm…digging in the woods/riding my bike?…hard choice that one! 😉

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

simonfbarnes
    I don’t think it’s fair gay men marry women as camouflage

I know, it’s shocking behaviour. Luckily very few engage in it.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Peeing outdoors is one of life’s great pleasures. One just has to make sure one remembers the tissues (and disposes of them in an ecological manner of course).

Bunnyhop

There is/was a huge gap in the way shecycles and STW forums were used.
    Here you can have banter, jokes and aggression all in the same thread.
    At shecycles the girls all sort of knew each other (at least by association) and had polite discussions with questions being quicky and truthfully answered. Always a lot of ,Hi how are you, type posts, really happy vibe.
    Over here a women can even end up with nasty comments if she posts up anything. This is all imo and then again I’m a sensitive so and so.
    As for weeing in the woods/bushes/blade of grass on the moors, it’s fine by me.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Yes, but jojo, I like riding in bibs which means everything has to come off!! 😳

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

FoxyChick
    Yes, but jojo, I like riding in bibs which means everything has to come off!!

I approve of this type of thing.

jennyh
    Free Member

There you go…. One of the reasons why a female might choose not to go on a ride arranged through here. The idea that if she popped behind a bush, someone might be trying to get an eyeful! Despite the fact that the lads you ride with will pee right next to you while you’re having your sandwich. As long as they’ve got their back to you they think its fine!

More seriously – Chappy1 – there was a big discussion about a womens only forum on here, initiated by the STW towers lot. After Shecycles had shut down. A lot of that is repeated on here. Maybe you can search for that thread.

As an aside to SFB – you promote yourself as someone who encourages more women on rides but personally I would NEVER go on one of your rides as you are not only open about your appreciation of women’s behinds (as you say most men are probabaly looking anyway, but what I don’t know I don’t get embarrassed/angry about) but you then choose to share your comments and photos on a public forum, possibly encouraging men who weren’t even on the ride to join in.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

*waves to jennyh*

Hello!!! How you doing???
    Hope to see you at some event or other this year! 🙂

jennyh
    Free Member

*waves back* 🙂 Hi FC.

I’m running lots (another marathon !!), but hope to get back on the bike properly after May. Events?……… I’m waiting to see this years mud levels. That Selkirk Merida was the final straw!

crazy-legs

jennyh: SFB has his critics on here but to be fair he never posts pictures without the riders consent (and has removed pics on request before), there’s never anything other than good-natured banter on the Bogtrotters rides and there’s no shortage of women in the club either!

I’ve only ever ridden with them a few times (usually too slow for me) but the times I’ve been out with them have always been great rides with friendly people.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Jenny…which marathon are you doing?

Just think of the abs!! 8)

Sue_W
    Free Member

as always an interesting range of opinions 🙂 Chappy1 – shecycles.net is back up and running, and although quiet is appreciated by those who use it. I’m happy to ask questions on ST, but am more likely to use Shecycles to arrange rides or to ask more detailed women-specific questions (for example on crank lengths for short women).

I usually ride with friends, male and female, ranging from those who are slower than me to those who a far faster and more proficient! There are definately more guys than girls though. On the ‘women-only’ ride topic – I went to Morzine on a women-only downhill skills week and it was ace – a realyy good laugh whilst also being supportive when we all (repeatedly!) crashed. It was also fun to see the reactions we got in Morzine as a groups of women doing downhil mtb – we got strangers coming up to us all the time to ask who we were! I definately wouldn’t have gone if it had been mixed as I think that it would have been predominantly male and the atmosphere would have been really different, and I suspect more ‘macho’ and less honest.

I also first learn to kayak as part of a women-only course (run by the council to encourage more women into kayaking). The guy who did the training said there was a massive difference in the way girls and guys learnt to paddle, and what sort of paddling the women won’t to do in the future.

In both mtb’ing and paddling it’s always been great to meet up with other girls as you get a chance to try other bikes, swap suggestions for kit, and generally have better trail snacks 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but personally I would NEVER go on one of your rides

it’s your choice – but many seem able to put up with me…

I always make it clear that any rider can have shots of themselves removed without having to give an explanation, and only 2 women have ever done this – one because she felt her bum looked too big in that and the other because she felt a shot ‘had no artistic merit’. I don’t see anything wrong in complimentary remarks about riders so long as they are not demeaning.

you promote yourself as someone who encourages more women on rides

I’m not promoting myself – it’s just a matter of record – since I started running beginner rides the club has attracted far more women

jennyh
    Free Member

Fair enough Crazy Legs – but from reading this forum that is my opinion, and it would stop me riding with Bogtrotters if I knew SFB was going to be on the ride.

FC – Edinburgh. Abs are good from biking too, just covered up a bit. The running does help get rid of that extra layer. Fewer cafe stops and a bad tummy after using those gels!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“possibly encouraging men who weren’t even on the ride to join in”

and? 😀

[sorry if you feel harassed about this, but it’s not pervy, it’s just healthy blokes, see?]

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 181 total)

The topic ‘Calling all women bikers & men if they wish to comment too!’ is closed to new replies.