Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Calling all wheel weight weenies
  • y0eddy
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a set of Easton Haven Carbon 26″ wheels in the CRC wheel sale and am very disappointed to find that they dont live up to the mega light weight that Easton and all the online reviewers claim, 1450g.

On my scales they come up at 730g front and 845g rear, total 1575g, without valves, on a 15mm front axle and a 142 rear axle.

Ideally I wanted a wide rimmed wheelset, >25mm, on quality hubs like 240s, but was willing to compromise due to the Haven’s claim weight.

Realistically could I build a 30mm ish rimmed durable wheelset for under £900 or should I just keep the Havens? Anyone got real world weights of their builds?

mafiafish
    Free Member

Chinese carbon rims and decent hubs?

flange
    Free Member

Njee to the forum….

br
    Free Member

A few years ago when I looked at them I decided to go with Hope Hoops (SP and Crest) based on the crap reviews the bearings had and that the extra 120g would be acceptable.

I’d have been well ar5ed finding out the actually weigh the same…

njee20
    Free Member

You rang Flange?!

Yes, you could, OP.

I’d get American Classic hubs – A E Bike were the cheapest I found, and they’ll sell in any permutation of axles/freehub you need.

These rims are only 23mm wide, but a good weight (if you ask LB for a light pair they’ll pick them by hand), or These are insanely wide, but heavier.

Build with Revs for a good lightweight build, or SuperComps for a slightly stiffer wheel. Should be <1400g on the former rims and c1500g on the heavier ones, about £600 built.

If you want to push your budget Tune Prince and Princess hubs will get you to c1320g and 1430g on the two rims.

mrblobby
    Free Member
    Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Yes, you could. LB rims, Supercomps and DT Swiss 240’s would probably do it.

flange
    Free Member

Some say if you say his name three times in a row, he drags you round Surrey hills and makes you feel inadequate on an mtb.

Njee – I forgot, I’m doing d2d this weekend! You still going to do the cross? Borrow my bike if you want…

njee20
    Free Member

Some say if you say his name three times in a row, he drags you round Surrey hills and makes you feel inadequate on an mtb.

😆

Can’t ‘cross this weekend, think it was a couple of weeks until the one I can do! A couple in December/January look good too!

flange
    Free Member

Will drop you a text mate

As for the op, lightbicycle for the win. Nice rims is them

honourablegeorge

njee20 – Member

I’d get American Classic hubs – A E Bike were the cheapest I found, and they’ll sell in any permutation of axles/freehub you need.

Except 20mm 🙁

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Calling all wheel weight weenies’ is closed to new replies.