Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • calling all the GNAR RIDERS….talk to me about: full face helmets….
  • alpin
    Free Member

toying with the idae of getting a full face for an upcoming trip.

i saw a £60 (own brand) and £100 (bell) full faces at halfords. other than the garish green of the more expensive helmet i couldn’t much tell the difference.

is it really a case of you get what you spend? a friend rides with a £10 lid from aldi aldi that weighs as much as £80 offerings from the big brands.

any recommendations welcome.

got about a ton to spend.

cheers

jedi

i use troy lee

next to the rows of helmets in an lbs there are loads of spare heads 🙂

goog
    Free Member

Troy Lee D2 or a D3 if you have lots of money

alpin
    Free Member

i might have loadsa money, but want to spend around £100.

jedi, i can’t decipher your second sentence…. sorry.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

next to the rows of helmets i a lbs are loads of spare heads

class!

Get something like this guys, he looks gnar as ****

5thElefant
    Free Member

Price and protection are unrelated. Well, they are for motocycle helmets (have a look at sharp test results). I’m not aware of comparative mtb helmet tests.

I’d buy a comfy one.

grum
    Free Member

I reckon any that fits you well will do. If it comes off when you crash it’s not going to protect you very well however good it is.

FWIW I tried a few and Giro Remedy seemed to fit best for me.

jimjam
    Free Member

Since buying my first full face I’ve gradually spent more and more on each new lid. Currently wearing a TLD D2 and it’s the most comfortable by a mile. Also the most confidence inspiring.

Driller
    Free Member

Spending more money does get you newer technology, more features (like being able to remove the liner and pads to wash them), nicer graphics, and often the option to customise the fit, something usually not possible with cheaper full-face helmets.

I’d say one of the best around for £100 is the Fox Rampage, you might even find a deal on last year’s colours. Although not much more will get you a THE.

If you’ve got a cheap head then buy a cheap helmet.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

saw 3 guys wearing full face helmets at cannock the other week on the FTD 😆

could not work out for the life of me why, we overtook them at least a couple of times so it wasnt as if they were heroes!

xiphon
    Free Member

Best advise : ring round various shops, and find what sizes and brands they have in stock – and try them on!

A £50 maybe more comfy to you than a £200 jobbie.

I paid around £60 (not in the sale either IIRC?) for a 661 helmet, which has proven excellent – light, and comfy.

We paid around £90 for my wife’s lid, as her small head only fitted a handful of helmets.

alpin
    Free Member

everyone’s a hero….

cheers guys. will wait till i’m back in the vaterland.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

TLD D2 can sometimes be picked up cheaply online if you’re not fussy about the colour, it’s the most comfortable lid I have owned. I really fancy one of those carbon D3 ones, if only to wear on an XC route in order to get the gayboys frothing at the vag about it on STW

gordi
    Free Member

Try as many on as you can and buy the one which fits or feels best.As for Oscillate’s great comment who cares what other people wear.Didnt see you in the top 3 at Fort Bill last weekend!

doug_basqueMTB.com

Troy Lee’s in our local shop, D2 is €110 and D2 Carbon is €145. Shop around, I’ve tried loads on but haven’t found anything that fits as well and feels as nice as a Troy Lee.

Northwind

Fit is first, second and third most important- a £200 helmet that doesn’t fit is worse than a £30 one that does, and could be worse than no helmet at all.

Mine’s just a cheapy 661 Strike, cost me £50. It’s reasonably vented, but heavy… Weight’s not just about comfort as some people think, the heavier it is the more stress it’ll put on your neck in some crashes and it increases the dwell time (basically the duration of the highest force on your brain) in direct impacts.

rockhopper70

if your heading uphill at all then think about the venting too….
    I have bought a 661 comp cheap and heading for the alps but if the trail turns upwards I think it might be hot n sweaty.
    What about an urge enduro-a-matic jobby?

grantway
    Free Member

I use a The One for rough stuff but have just taken delivery of a Specalized Deviant
    for the All Mountain thingy

The Deviant is a little heavier than a normal helmet but stronger.
    Its well vented for all day riding
    And one of the strong points is that you can remove the cheek pads
    so you get a strong air flow through the helmet, love it.

Bought it here for £ 107.99p including free Specalized BG Ridge gloves.
    Freeborn.co.uk

Badger
    Free Member

The cost isn’t the point. Went to Whistler again last autumn and decided the Switchblade was useless so bought a full face.

661 helmet cost about £50 and was stunningly good – light fits like a glove, not too hot even in the warm weather of Canada.

The guys at Ticket2RideBC thought it was impressive and one of them had the carbon version of the same helmet – compared to other (more expensive) full face they were using it was much lighter and whilst the carbon one was very light there wasn’t that much difference in it – ceratinly not worth the £100 difference unless you are a serrious downhill racer.

I rode every day for two weeks and it didn’t get uncomfortable once – and I don’t normally like full face.

On the wet days I wore a set fo goggles which fitted easily in the face hole and on dry I wore normal sunglasses and they fitted OK with the helmet as well.

Can’t praise it highly enough!

Oh and I headbutted a few trees/rocks/etc. in the course of the two weeks and I was fine and carried on riding (the switchblade would have broken and embedded sharp plastic chin guard in my face!)

oliverd1981
    Free Member

It used to be if you had a good scout about you could find a new Giro Remedy or Specilized deviant in Carbon for under £100, definatelly worth it for the weight saving if you’re going to wear it on an all dayer.

Lots of Full facers have D-Ring fastners which can be annoying (though they ought to be more secure. I know they’d do my head in so I try to stick with clip fastners.

661 helmets seem to last a good long while.

grahamt1980

Giro remedy is a very good helmet.
    As someone else said though fit is king on this one

oliverd1981
    Free Member

grahamt1980 – nice original username mate

grantway
    Free Member

To be honest if you going to mail order your helmet then buy early
    has fit with a full face is a lot different to buying an open helmet.

One thing you dont have with a full face is the ratcheting style fit system
    with open helmets.

scraprider
    Free Member

661 £50.00 , try a few at your local lbs to get the correct sizing etc,

mrbump
    Free Member

troy lee all the way. i looked around and got my d2 for £149.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘calling all the GNAR RIDERS….talk to me about: full face helmets….’ is closed to new replies.