Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Calling All Tall On One Fatty Owners
  • gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

Evening all

I’m 6’2 with a 33″ inside leg and from the sizing charts right between the 18 and 20 inch frames.

Is there going to be much difference between the two sizes other than weight and wheelbase?

Anyone in a similar situation and what frame size did you pick?

Cheers

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’m 5 11 and on an 18. At your height I would go large without a doubt.

colin9

I’m 6’2 and have a large. I don’t think there’s much in it between them but I’ve not ridden a medium so I can’t compare. The large feels fine to me but it’s probably personal preference as to whether you prefer stability or chuckability (chuckability is a relative term on a fat bike!)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rOcKeTdOg

6ft 2. 33″ inside leg on a 20″ they all have the same stand over. run mine with a 60mm stem and it rides great

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

Cheers Chris / Colin. I doubt I’d notice the 15mm difference in wheelbase but but any extra stability has to be a good thing.

How do you find them compared to a ‘normal’ bike?

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

Cheers RD I think I’ve found pictures of yours on the interwebs.

rOcKeTdOg

How do you find them compared to a ‘normal’ bike?

i find i’m much more confident on the fatty, both up and down hill. I’ve not really ridden anything else since I got it nearly 12 months ago

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

Braaap!

Is that a custom rear guard?

colin9

Good fun, wide Q factor takes a little getting used to and the front end’s a bit heavy to get up and over things, but they’re great for charging over stuff.

rOcKeTdOg

Is that a custom rear guard

it’s a standard 29er mudhugger, the custom bit is done with a hairdrier

shaggy

You need the 20″.

sq225917
    Free Member

If you’re thinking about a fatty maybe wait until the NEC bike show. 😉

shaggy

sq225917 do you work for On-One?

Lester
    Free Member

I’m selling a large rolling chassis plus extras on the uk fat bike forum 🙂 I could turn it into a whole bike for a big saving on one
    Email me for pictures
    Lester

onandon
    Free Member

I’m 5.10 with a 33 inside leg and ride an 18 with a 70 mm stem.
    Sounds really odd to run a long stem but it feels too crunched up with anything less..

Anyway, you’ll be a 20 and play with stem length.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I find the bike really confidence inspiring and so stable that it makes you realise half of your effort goes into balance on a normal bike whereas the fattie just let’s you get on and steamroller over anything you like.

MadBillMcMad

6’1″, 34″ leg on an 18 here

sizing appears a lot more flexible on a Fatty for some reason.

I’m same as rOcKeTdOg – hardly ridden anything else since

cokie

5’9” and i ran a 70mm stem, 740mm bars on the 18”.
    I would say I was comfortable. If I was any taller I’d go bigger though.

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

That’s good enough for me!

I’m not really a ‘first adopter’ kind of bloke, if it’s the fat parkwood you’re on about I’m not really a fan of the original, I’m sure it’s a perfectly capable bike however I’m not a fan of it’s looks. If it’s something carbon or with suspension then that’s not the reason I want a fat bike.

I’ve actually bought one I was just having a last minute ‘what size’ panic before it’s built. Unfortunately I’ve not managed to have my application to the UK fat bike forum approved yet. ANy idea how long it takes?

That’s what I figured, incontrast to my other bikes I’ve gone short in the hope it’ll give me back the hooligan spirit of my youth either that or sore shoulders!

I’ll hold you to that when I chuck the bike down bunton hush!

Shhhh the other bikes will hear you.

I’ve gone for a 55mm stem on the 20 inch frame which would put me in a similar position but slightly further back over the bike*

* I could be talking b*llocks!

Lester
    Free Member

I’ve not managed to have my application to the UK fat bike forum approved yet. ANy idea how long it takes?

im not sure, i think there are a couple of threads on here about how to get in touch with uk fat bikes and make sure they have received your request to join their forum

try this
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/uk-fat-bike-forum-is-it-possible-to-get-registered

rOcKeTdOg

Have a chat to @johnclimber on Twitter for registration stuff

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

Lovely, I’ll ping over a tweet when I get time.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m 6ft and ride a 20″.

I can just squeek a 125mm reveb in with about 3mm of ‘post’ showing.

The only downside is the tall headtube, I’d have preferred it lower but you get used to it, just feels a bit more ‘sit up’ rather than ‘over the front wheel’ than my other bikes.

As others said, I barely ride anything else since getting it.

colin9

My Fatty’s been languishing in the shed for a couple of months, through injury and then a leaky brake, but this thread inspired me to sort it out and take it for a blast this evening. It was excellent! Thanks guys.

andyjh

I’m 6ft and on a 20″ frame. Love it but mainly used it as a winter bike, really need to give it a go on drier trails 😆 Have to say though that during the winter it gave great confidence on anything slippy and downwards 😀

onandon
    Free Member

I’ve pretty much only ridden my fatty this year. The scalpel and jingle sped have stayed in the shed.
    It’s hard work but fun and a great training aid for my road riding.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Calling All Tall On One Fatty Owners’ is closed to new replies.