Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Calling all SLX M666 brake owners.
  • dingabell
    Free Member

I know these brakes are getting pretty good reviews, so was thinking about buying a pair. I was wondering where current owners get their spare pads from? Are there any places where you can buy aftermarket pads (i.e Discobrakes/Superstar) as I can’t seem to find them on any websites. Also do the spare pads have to have the cooling fins on them, as the only ones I can find are XTR ones for £30 a pair !! Cheers.

ahwiles
    Free Member

8 quid

there are others available, i’ve had good results from the nuke-proof pads, but those are the cheapest i saw, and they get good reviews…

you don’t need the cooling fins.

twotonpredator

I have some of these on my new mega build. I have the old slx on another bike and although dubious over whether there would be any improvement in braking performance, they are definitely better. better modulation and the levers are smaller which I prefer. this doesn’t answer the question I know but…..anyone any idea about the pads?

Entonox
    Free Member

The pads in the link above are incorrect as Shimano have changed the design for these brakes.

XTR M985 / XT M785 / SLX M666 all share the same pads.

Superstar have stock listed as S5 Shimano New XTR M985
    I’m using them in my SLX brakes and they feel good – no fins however.
    I think the price of finned pads will come down as third parties start producing them.

dingabell
    Free Member

Thanks for the early replies guys. Nice to hear you rate the brakes too as I’ve just ordered them from Merlin. £144 for the pair including hoses and rotors which I think is a bit of a bargain. Not had too good a time with Superstar pads in the past but I may just give them another go.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

dingabell… did you notice merlin sold you brakes without the advertised icetech pads?

flyingmonkeycorps

Er, are the £144 ones on Merlin not the old M665s? The 666s are £159.95

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

sorry yeh… £160 i paid

dingabell
    Free Member

Definitely M666. Just read the model on the calliper. The price of £144 was the VIP price which gave 10 percent off the £160 RRP. Had them on for a couple of weeks now and I’m seriously impressed with them for the money. Proper one finger braking for the first time.

continuity
    Free Member

Sure you don’t want to reconsider? Send them back to merlin, and buy them from rose bikes for a considerable amount less?

prezet
    Free Member

Bought mine off Rose for £120 (no rotors or finned pads) – fitted yesterday. Incredible brakes for the money. Although the hoses come up very long and needed to be cut down. So you might need a spare set of olives to shorten them down, depending on your routing.

mickle141
    Free Member

I think this pretty much sums it up!

http://www.dalesbikedoctor.co.uk/Disc_Brake_Pads/cat892649_922727.aspx

Very useful!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Calling all SLX M666 brake owners.’ is closed to new replies.