Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Calling all Sheffield MTB'ers/ Peak District/Stanage experts.
  • bomberman
    Free Member

It’s been a while since i posted in this forum but you’ll be glad to know nobody has been owned with bombers since.

Since moving to sheffield i’ve been eyeing up the area around Stanage Edge, which looks great. I haven’t been out on the bike for about a year due to injury and work commitments so i’m looking to start off with some little loops around Stanage and then branch off into some 20 milers. I usually park in the little (free) car park at the foot of the Edge.

Could anybody tell me the location of Stanage Drop, as seen on on this video?:

and this one:

I’d also be intereted in meeting up with other mountain bikers in the area, i live 15 minutes away from Stanage Edge by car.

Cheers!

bullroar
    Free Member

It is the bridleway to Hollins Bank car park below the Plantation. The first video shows the ride over from Redmires Res via Stanage Pole.

Pook

just quickly – you’re here for those

I’m local but will be busy over the next few weeks (baby due)

Happy to offer up some loops though – email in profile

😀

ps: welcome to sheffield!

bomberman
    Free Member

Thanks, i can see it on Google maps now! Would i be able to do a loop around Redmires reservoir or is it all footpaths around there?

matt_outandabout

i live 15 minutes away from Stanage Edge by car.

So a nice pedal then? Summer – pedal out, last orders in Hathersage and last train home = perfect night out…

bullroar
    Free Member

If you want a short route then Redmires, Pole, Hollins Bank, turn right at road along to Dennis Knoll car park then up the Causeway, Pole, Redmires. Anything else would be longer.

bomberman
    Free Member

The thing is Matt, i’m not a roadie. Otherwise i’d love to wear down my tyres to pedal there. I drove there the other day from not-snowy-at-all Sheffield to find it covered in snow and ice though, looked amazing.

bullroar i’ll have a look at that cheers

filtertips

Where abouts in Sheffield are you bomberman?

Pook

yeah if you’re fifteen by car, you’ll be an hour by bike, and the joy of Sheffield is that the valleys tend to bring the countryside right into town…..

thepodge
    Free Member

There isn’t much riding near Stannage to be picky about not using tarmac

xherbivorex
    Free Member

tim, i’ll give you a shout next time i’m heading over to hope or ladybower to meet up with my mate and you should tag along. we usually end up playing about on blacka moor or somewhere on the way back into sheffield too.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

There are lots of great loops if you head further into the Peak.

ahwiles
    Free Member

bomberman – Member

Thanks, i can see it on Google maps now! Would i be able to do a loop around Redmires reservoir or is it all footpaths around there?

it’s all footpaths everywhere, it’s the peak district.

Pook

Podge – it’s ‘Stanage’. I’ll let you off though cos you’re ill.

Bomberman, take a look at the streetmap link i sent you

a – footpath
    b – bridleway
    c- restricted byway (no motors basically)
    d – byway open to all traffic.

TPTcruiser

Redmires? Wasn’t there something close to there in the news recently?
    No, it was Ringinglow Road.

Pook

There’s been a couple of changes to bridleways further down the valley – a couple of footpaths paths are now permissives, but the talk of a bike/horse loop in the valley came to nought.

Bomberman, where in sheffield are you?

thepodge
    Free Member

I dunno where my phone has got the double n spelling from

jeed
    Free Member

I’m in pretty much the same boat – moved to Sheffield recently but haven’t had much chance to get out. Would be happy to tag along and do some exploring if you fancy it at some point (or to hook up with some folks with more local knowledge!)

Email’s in my profile

Cheers

nickhart
    Free Member

sounds like a pootle is in order……
    bomberman, if you’re lodge more/crookes area you can get to stanage using little more than a mile on road. buy a map and figure it out, old skool stylee.

thepodge
    Free Member

Chris has looked at a Stanage pootle before and decided there wasnt enough other stuff in the area to make it worth taking 30+ people there.

His Mrs is also about to drop a sprog (due last friday) so I cant see a pootle being any time soon.

Frankly I don’t see the appeal of Stanage unless its before 8 in the morning or you like moving at 3 mile an hour being scowled at by walkers.

I agree with buying a map. its the best reward per pound you’ll ever spend.

bomberman
    Free Member

Andrew, i’ve asked you loads of times if you could show me around the peak, like loads. The best offer i’ve ever had was an idea you had on Facebook for a vegan only mountain biking trip. And i ain’t vegan. let me do a few loops around Stanage and see where i am after that.

Pook, cheers for that. I’ve bought this book, except it’s the slightly older copy (“true grit trails”)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Peak-District-Mountain-Biking-Trails/dp/190614818X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361457745&sr=1-1

I think there’s a map to go with it so if i like the book i’ll probably buy that. I’m just getting my feet wet again, basically i’ve been working like a dog for that last 15 months out on the road, smoking and drinking so i’m mega unfit, the plan is to find a fun loop i can get there and back from in a couple of hours and as i get fitter branch out further into the Peak. When i lived in Calderdale i had a local loop i could do in about an hour so i could finish work, go for a ride and be back in time for tea.

Jeed i’ll drop you an email now, it’ll be good to get out with someone in the same boat as me. I think i have a loop sorted but you’ll have to excuse my lack of fitness.

thepodge
    Free Member

That is the local trail bible. A very wise choice

bomberman
    Free Member

Anyone else up in Sheffield?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

We are riding round there tomorrow night at 7:30 isf from fox house if you want to join us

bomberman
    Free Member

D’oh! Too late!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Calling all Sheffield MTB'ers/ Peak District/Stanage experts.’ is closed to new replies.