Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Calling all leather sofa owners with dogs and/or children!
  • CurlyGurl
    Free Member

Does anyone know how to get nasty smells out of a leather sofa?

My dog, in her wisdom, decided to throw up on mine while we were out at work, which gave it a good few hours to soak right in there and fester!

It happened a couple of months ago and the thing still stinks! And when you sit there it makes YOU stink!

I've tried odour neautralising powders, leather cleaners, bicarbonate of soda, hanging it on the line for hours, scrubbing at it with soapy bubbles – It. Won't. Go.

Anyone?

soma_rich
    Free Member

throws?

CurlyGurl
    Free Member

I've had to revert to using a throw, but I don't like to because it's just something else to collect doggy smells and molting fur – that's why I went for leather in the first place!

Why she couldn't have threw up on the wooden floor I'll never know! 😐

samuri
    Free Member

If I had a leather sofa, I'd not have had a dog or kids. It's like eating yoghurt while wearing swede shoes.

Drac

Hmmm! My kids have spilt all sorts on ours, puked on them, pissed on them as babies not one bit of smell from it, wipe it down and it's good as new about 6 years old now. No doggy smells either in fact won't go back to cloth as leather is so much easier to look after.

You could remove the stuffing cushion and deodorise it.

theotherjonv

swede shoes? You'd look a right turnip!

I suspect the foul smelling part will have soaked right in if you didn't get to it for several hours. Bicarb is usually good but it might need a real dousing / repeat efforts to really shift it. It will eventually go but if you can't wait (and assuming you can remove the affected bit since you say you've had it on the line), maybe a trip to a professional cleaner might be in order.

boobs

Swede shoes, extreme veggie? 🙂

Fortunately for me my kids/cat etc haven't thrown up on ours, you could try this but I would guess you probably have. http://www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/Leather_Care_Kit.htm

druidh
    Free Member

A good leather sofa will cope with kids easily enough

Pieface

What little I know about leather is that it is resistant to stuff, but when it goes wrong its expensive to sort out due to the smell or stain leaching into the leather.

Have you tried any 'how clean is your house' tips off C4 website?

ji
    Free Member

or claim on your house insurance?

montylikesbeer

get amongst it with some saddle soap

Saddle soap is a preparatory compound containing mild soap and softening ingredients such as neatsfoot oil, glycerin, and lanolin. It also contains bee's wax to protect leather. It is used for cleaning, conditioning and softening leather, particularly that of saddles and other horse tack, hence its name

saddlesoap clicky

mattythemod
    Free Member

I to have a a leather sofa , the children and dogs are normally kept locked away in there cage unless its there birthday or xmas when we let them out and there allowed to sit on the floor !!

mugsys_m8

How did you hang the sofa on the line?
    Have any photo's?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Calling all leather sofa owners with dogs and/or children!’ is closed to new replies.