Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Calling all iphone saturation gurus…
  • loddrik
    Free Member

(Apologies for the all the phone related questions lately)

My iphone got drenched whilst out riding last week, i had it in a bag of rice for 5 days and had lost all hope as it wasn’t responding. It came on unexpectedly earlier, however there is obviously still water in the screen, otherwise it seems to be working fine.

How can I get the moisture out of the screen? The rice has probably done all it can do so need another method. Hairdyer?

lemonysam
    Free Member

I’ve tried various things when mine have got damp but mostly they just need time and warmth in my experience. If it’s not massively massively wet, I just use mine normally and leave it in the sunshine on the window ledge if I remember. If it’s massively massively wet I panic and follow random instructions I find on Youtube.

edit: I reckon I’d just start carrying that round in my pocket.

molgrips
    Free Member

The rice has probably done all it can

What makes you say that? If the rice is absorbing water, then it’ll continue to do so.

What you need is a humidity gradient – inside the phone is humid of course, and you need it to be not humid outside the phone so that the water evaporates and exits the phone. This is what the rice is meant to be for.

However I’m unsure rice is going to be all that effective – after all, you don’t keep rice in sealed containers and it doesn’t continually absorb moisture. If I were you I’d go to B&Q and get some of the calcium chloride they sell in tubs for moisture traps. Put some of this in a box and seal the phone in there BUT you need to make absolutely dead sure it doesn’t come into contact with your phone. A dual compartment or some sort of shelf affair would work.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Probably unlikely to completely come out but keep sticking in the rice for the next few weeks.

If it doesn’t replace the screen. EBay, youtube and a few tools are all you need.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP suggest you buy one of the cheap tool kits and take the back off to assist with the drying process. Getting the front screen off is a PITA so best avoided I would say. Have you put the phone/rice into the airing cupboard ? A hairdrier is going to vapourise the water but unless it can get out of the phone it could make things worse.

I drowned my Blackberry and the screen never completely dried out. I left it in airing cupboard with rice for a week.

loddrik
    Free Member

Dont have an airing cupboard I’m afraid.

How about putting heating on low and sticking it on the radiator?

jambalaya
    Free Member

You want a lowish consistent heat, so on top of radiator perhaps with a cloth between it and the radiator. I think getting the back off (easy) will really help.

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh yeah take the back off – it’s easy, and will really help.

iolo
    Free Member

220 degrees for an hour and a half should get the moisture out*

*the phone might not work but you’ll have no moisture

muggomagic

Could try one of these?

Save a phone

Or one of these 🙂

Smarter phone

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Yeah that screens fecked. The moisture gets between the various lcd layers. At best you’ll end up with a stain from any minerals left behind once water has evaporated.

New display time.

loddrik
    Free Member

Could try one of these?

Save a phone

Or one of these

Smarter phone

That drying thing looks interesting.

As for the phone, nah, android is shite.

loddrik
    Free Member

Just took the back off it so will see how that goes on the radiator for a couple of hours tonight.

muggomagic

I know you don’t like android from your posting on most android threads about its shiteyness, so I couldn’t resist. 🙂

Hope you get it sorted.

tonyg2003

Buy some desiccant (eBay) that should get the last of the moisture out

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Youre still gonna end up with a dirty stain.

If the phone works fine, for the sake of £30 chuck a display in it, its cracked anyway.

tonyg2003

Buy some desiccant (eBay) that should get the last of the moisture out

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Calling all iphone saturation gurus…’ is closed to new replies.