Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Calling all head torch enthusiasts…
  • swillybey
    Free Member

Father has asked for a head torch for christmas.

It will be used (i’d imagine) for a mixture of looking into tight spaces on his boat/ house, walking to the pub through the woods at night and potentially some moored night time activities on the boat. Unlikely to be night sailing so just having a look at mooring lines etc.

A rechargeable one would be good, as he can keep it on the boat and plug it in when required. Splashproof would be a bonus. Red light also a bonus.

Pretzl seem to be the boys for this sort of thing, but only a couple of their higher end ones are rechargeable and come with light sensing technology, which im a little dubious of.

The Exposure RAW is perfect, but at £119 its a bit out of budget.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

jimdubleyou

I have a couple of Petzl E+lites.

They aren’t rechargeable, but they are pretty small and bright.

£14 in blacks at the moment.

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

Pretzl

?

From my experience I would avoid LEDlenser. They just seem a bit heavy on the gimmicks and light on the reliability and performance.

Petzl’s always struck me as solid, no-nonsense kit but that’s only going by what people I know have said.

Check out the candle power forums. A scary place but they have some good info and reviews.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mudhead84
    Free Member

I use this all the time. Ticks all your boxes. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00FYVF62C

kormoran
    Free Member

I have a petzl acktic, it is phenomenal. Cost me 35 nicker from facewest. It is normal battery but they do a rechargeable one called aktic core.

Cannot believe how bright it is, and adjustable for low light sitches. Red too is very useful

cvilla

Been happy with Alpkit lights, see here http://www.alpkit.com/lighting

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

Oh I will add that rechargeable makes less sense in use than in theory. I’d rather have some AAA’s in my pocket than be left without light.

I had a Clulite rechargeable head torch with three LEDs as a power meter. The green one stayed on for 15 minutes. The amber one stayed on until you had about a minute left, so once you saw the red one you were stuffed.

Cougar

I use this all the time

I’m a huge fan of LED Lenser. Customer service is second to none also.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

From my experience I would avoid LEDlenser. They just seem a bit heavy on the gimmicks and light on the reliability and performance.

[quote][/quote]

Opposite here, only use mine for sea fishing at night. I get 2 sessions from a charge & often hear the words, ‘PUT THAT BLOODY LIGHT OUT’!
    Dunno what gimmicks you mean, mines got variable power saving settings & It’s rechargeable.

somouk
    Free Member

I’m a huge fan of LED Lenser. Customer service is second to none also.

Agree, used a few of their products and they’ve all be well designed and lasted in some pretty tough environments.

scc999

I’ve got a non rechargable version of the one mudhead84 linked to.
    No issues in 5 years or so. Used on many trips (camping, climbing, mountaineering etc).

Petzl are also good (had one with a dodgy switch once but had others that were ace).

Alpit get good reviews from friends who have them.

Wouldn’t bother with rechargable, as above just have a spare set of batteries to hand.

Si

ivorhogseye
    Free Member

Decathlon do a great selection. Bought one for running. £20 can’t fault it

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Wouldn’t bother with rechargable, as above just have a spare set of batteries to hand.

Or be dead clever & have a rechargeable that takes batteries, like mine!

rene59
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these. Can’t fault it. Rechargable battery pack but you can also swap for normal batteries. This replaces an older Petzl headtorch I had for many years and was faultless. I gave it away to someone starting out and building up their hillwalking kit hence the replacement.

https://www.petzl.com/INT/en/Sport/ACTIVE-headlamps/ACTIK-CORE

leffeboy

Petzyl have a system where you can buy a little USB rechargeable battery that fits into the same space as 3xaaa in their lights
    Win-win really as I would always carry spares as well

Think is works with a lot of their headtorches now. Called hybrid system or the such like

Edit:beaten to it by Rene but the hybrid core works with several different headtorches

lister

Alpkit do torches that perform way above their price. Seem to survive my clumsy ownership very well.

WillH

I’ve got a slightly older version of the Black Diamond ReVolt. Has spot or flood options, with a dimmer (essentially infinite power levels between min and max) for white light, plus a simple red light option. USB chargeable with the three rechargeable AAAs it comes with, so can be swapped with other AAAs if you need a backup etc.

I think my model is only 110 lumens, which is just about enough for me (pottering about at night in the non-street-lit, low light pollution garden, camping etc.) but the current one is billed as 300 lumens so should be pretty good.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I’ve had a number of headtorches including Petzl and Alpkit. The Alpkit packed up after a year but customer service was good.

This Maplin one has lasted me the longest and have found the most useful features and runtime. I use rechargeable batteries or take a few fresh sets camping. Lasts ages on low power. It has a red light option and you can fine-tune the width of the beam (spot to flood). The power goes from high to low in smooth increments so you can adjust exactly how bright you want it. 80 (claimed) hrs on low. Seems about right because I hardly ever seem to need to change the batteries. Low is useful for reading and most close duties. Motion sensor is just the icing on the cake if operating with wet hands or gloves etc.

Would buy again, this one is still going after 5 years of heavy use. Can’t comment on how splashproof it is but never had a problem in light rain and it is specced as ‘water resistant’. It has ‘SOS’ mode also.

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/sensor-head-torch-a78kf

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I bought a headtorch identical to the £20 from Alpkit for £1.52 from eBay, delivered from China.

Surprisingly good for Double Cheeseburger level outlay.

chakaping
    Free Member

Aldi are doing a Cree headtorch for £8 at the moment, just got one for my dad for Xmas.

cp

In really like my alpkit qark. Usb recharge, red rear light, very very bright on high, multiple brightness settings including just running the two very low power little LEDs – surprisingly useful for ‘just a bit of light’ – like a baby night light….

onandon
    Free Member

Nitecore hc30.

Light weight, nice beam, 1000 real lumens and £35 from eBay.

Or you could buy a shitty lump of plastic from alpkit.

benp1

My collection now extends to 6 head torches

The Petzl E+lite is excellent as a back up or basic use torch. My ‘main’ headtorch is a Black Diamond ReVolt 130. As per above, it’s a great blend of AAAs or USB rechargeable

Most of the time I use an E+lite as I’m bikepacking with an exposure helmet light already, so it’s just for use around camp

deepreddave
    Free Member

Contact Mark at mtb batteries and see if there’s something they can do. Thesy might be able to make something bespoke which would be nice and MTB would always be able to fix it.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

If your budget is £120 I would look at the Petzl Nao.

Amazing bit of kit ! Yes the light sensing tech is amazing and works really well

However it may be too good for messing around on a boat ie I use it for night running in the middle of open moors etc

Killer
    Free Member

i also love the Nao, but overkill for what you describe.

The Actik Core sounds exactly what you’re after. 300lumens, rechargeable, quality build. and all for about £35 ish
    I’d even use it for light running work when the Nao is just way too much.

sofaking
    Free Member

another vote for lenser, not cheap but well made and reliable

sparkyspice
    Free Member

I can’t really see past (excuse the pun) an Exposure Joytsick.

£99 for a MK12 on CRC. 1000 lumens on full power and it’s last overnight on low power.

I’ve got a MK2 (only 240 lumens) that’s still good for night orienteering / running etc. Just by the optional headband.
    It has the advantage of being a great torch to have in your pocket, mount on your bike helmet or it’s even good enough to ride with on your bars…

footflaps

Been happy with Alpkit lights, see here http://www.alpkit.com/lighting

Yep, same here, got about half a dozen now.

Nicely made and work well.

swillybey
    Free Member

Thanks all, I shall have a look through all the options listed, seems like some good ones available for £40 – 60 which is ideal.

Waderider
    Free Member

I’m a heavy headtorch user not least because I must be three miles from the nearest street lamp – have a look at the Black Diamond Icon.

Any headtorch can have rechargeable batteries if you, erm, put rechargeable batteries in it.

steve_b77
    Free Member

We get these LED Lenser issued at work and they’re brilliant, stand up to all sorts of conditions and are really bright on the top setting.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

That’s the one I’ve got Steve.

Yep, same here, got about half a dozen now.

Daft Q but why do you need 6 headtorches?

Says me with 15 fishing rods.

footflaps

convenience.

I have two in my rucksack (saves carrying spare batteries), wife has the same in hers. Then one in the workshop with my electrical tool kit, one in the understairs cupboard in case we have a power cut.

jam-bo

best place to store spare batteries for your headtorch is in another headtorch.

footflaps

Plus Alpkit ones are pretty cheap (I normally buy in their sales), so you can get one for about £12.

Cougar

I have two in my rucksack (saves carrying spare batteries)

Wait… what?

Mowgli
    Free Member

I have the Alpkit Prism 630. Very powerful, rechargable, cost me about £30 I think. It’s a bit front heavy (i.e. no rear battery pack, it’s all on the front) but so long as you’re not using it for running you get used to it. The beam is quite focussed rather than spread out. I’d struggle to justify spending any more unless you need something significantly more powerful or perhaps want a wider beam.

franksinatra

From my experience I would say the opposite. I am am a bit of a head torch geek and have gone through dozens over the years. Haven’t had reason to buy a new torch since getting an LEDLenser (other than to buy a second one as I like to have one fully charged in the rucksack ready to go, other one used daily for dog walking etc.)

Things have moved on since the 80’s

benp1

Good question re 6 headtorches. I have duplicates of many things, it’s just how I roll. I have c. 20 backpacks, 4 North Face base camp duffels etc etc. I am a kit junky

Anyway, 6 headtorches are:
    Old one that still works, not very powerful, used by the kids mainly
    New one that’s my main headtorch
    Original Petzl E+lite (Mk1), left in the car for emergencies (also have a load of other useful bits in the car)
    2 Petzl E+lite zips (Mk2) – one in my commuting bag, one with my bivvy kit
    1 Petzl E+lite zip (Mk3) – in my MTB bag or taken on walking/hill trips

The Petzl e+lite is so small and handy I often take them on holiday and other places. Will often have a normal torch too but hands free light is useful, and it’s a small weight/size penalty

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Calling all head torch enthusiasts…’ is closed to new replies.