Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Calling all designers! Talk to me about 3D imaging software!
  • Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

Morning folks,

We have a requirement to produce a load of 3d images for a customer, but are without the means to do so……we have a guy who is able to use it and training will be provided so the skill set isn’t a problem

A quick Google has given us names like autodesk (specifically Revit) and Solidworks etc.

Like everything else, i assume not all software is created equal. Can you guys recommend any specific software, any to avoid, any worth keeping an eye on, any portals where we can lease the software etc etc…

Thanks in advance!

nickjb
    Free Member

Need a bit more detail. There’s a big range out there. Some are more freehand/sketchy others based on detailed engineering models. If you want the engineering detail then some are better at mechanisms and products others buildings and environments. Also they are expensive and there can be a good chunk if time to get up to speed. It’s likely to be way more cost effective to outsource but there are other benefits of in house capabilities.

Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

Hi Nick,

It would be for rendering 3d engineering models…..laboratories, infrastructure, valves, gas taps – that kind of thing.

Cost isn’t a particular issue and neither is the hardware to support it.

nickjb
    Free Member

Solidworks would be my first choice for that. Not crazy expensive. Fairly easy to learn and pretty quick to get decent visuals from. Also a fairly common and standard package so easy to get training and online tips. I think some if the very cheap packages don’t include photo rendering so buy carefully.

Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

Cheers Nick, just in the process of downloading trial versions and Solidworks being one.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Don’t expect to send someone on a few days training course and then get usable results. It’ll take quite some time to get good at it.

nickjb
    Free Member

With solidworks if you do things their way, eg use default materials and simple modelling a quick click on the photo render will give very good results. I agree if you want to start setting up studios and playing with lighting it gets a lot more complicated, though.

eg if this is good enough then it shouldn’t be a problem:

if you want something like this then you might have issues

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Calling all designers! Talk to me about 3D imaging software!’ is closed to new replies.