Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Calling all Calderdale folk, anybody know Stoodley pike?
  • djen83
    Free Member

Would anybody be up for giving me and a friend a guided tour (20 – 25 miles approx) around what you think are the best trails in Calderdale, which ideally includes Stoodley Pike.

I could return the favour in the Marsden area of Huddersfield with a fantastic MTB ride of a similar distance.

Any takers?

djen83
    Free Member

any takers?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I believe the default answer in situations like this is to post an image of the OL21 OS map and tell you to go for it. To be honest, you could do worse than the ‘classic’ ride that heads out of Hebden to Widdop, down the Gorple Road to Worsthone (sp?) Res and back along the Long Causeway past the windfarm before dropping through Whirlaw Stones and Tod golf course and one of the BWs (the one which ends in the car park near the viaduct is best) which ends in Eastwood. Then climb up the other side to Lumbutts, up the packhorse trail and then along the tops to the Pike before dropping down off the front of it (cheeky) and then London Road back to Hebden where my usual suggestion is to finish on Birthday X (a cheeky but very good trail). Unfortunately its absolutely shagged at the moment due to the weather we’ve had over the last 5 months – 4ft deep holes in the trail etc. So I’d probably suggest just picking the BW that goes down from Horsehold through Horsehold Wood. Or using your initiative and finding a trail called Kebab St.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Forgot to mention, a lot of the ‘best’ trails in Calderdale tend to be shortish, technical descents which are kinda difficult to shove into big all day rides. If you want endless stuff like that, you don’t need to venture more than a mile from Hebden. I’m not going to tell you exactly where stuff is but grab a map (or streetmap) and search youtube / vimeo and try and place stuff.

unklehomered
    Free Member

25 miles in Calderdale is more gruelling than 25 miles pretty much anywhere else, as DBW says, Up Down Up Down Up Down Up Down until you just can’t anymore, then to Stubbin Wharfe for ale.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Thats why the classic is pretty good. Its all a bit more spread out. We did more climbing in 2.5 hours yesterday, all within sight of Hebden centre than that big ride above does in its entire length I’d guess…

ton

get intouch with shaggmeister off here.
    ask him nicely if he would show you round the desired area.
    it will be steep, rocky, scary, dangerous but a very good laugh.

djen83
    Free Member

I’d sooner get some offers for a guided tour rather than pester somebody , thanks though!

The steep ups and downs sound similar to what we get over in Marsden – aint it a killer!

ton

[video]http://vimeo.com/19326404[/video]

[video]http://vimeo.com/11423194[/video]

ton

[video]http://vimeo.com/16815119[/video]

unklehomered
    Free Member

Ride up to Pecket well, then find your way down. very good.

djen83
    Free Member

I’ve been over Pecket Well, to Hebden Bridge, down Stoodley pike, through Elland Woods and over Norland Moor – all within the last 5 years or so. All of which I have really enjoyed, the problem is that I’m useless at remembering where I’ve been and don’t fancy spending most of a day on and off my bike looking at a map.

Thanks for all the route videos and tips though!

mapu
    Free Member

Djen, I can give you a “tour” sometime this week, perhaps taking in the classic route Daveyboy mentions. I’m a local who fled south who’s coming back for a summer holiday. Send me an email if you’re interested, email should be in profile etc.

hora
    Free Member

Ive never ridden the Tod side any good?

Mugboo

Talking of Tod there was a Calderdale video of a long descent with what looked like plenty of exposure to the left. Looked good but I’ve no idea where it is. My reckons it was over in the Tod direction.

djen83
    Free Member

Cheers mapu, YGM. Let me know if anybody is up for a good route over my way (Hudds/ Marsden)

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Jason – send me a link to the vid and I’ll try and pinpoint it 😉

Mugboo

Cheers Dave I’ll try and find it.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Calling all Calderdale folk, anybody know Stoodley pike?’ is closed to new replies.