Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Calling all beach riders – where to go beach riding?
  • IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

As now I’m owing almost-fat bike (3.6″ wide 29-er plus) wanted to try beach riding.

Funnily enough that is my 10th year in UK but never had any proper go on the coastal areas.

So any recommendation of beach riding spot? Preferably closer than 4 hours drive from South Yorkshire 🙂

Cheers!
    I.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

East Lothian.

rOcKeTdOg

northumbria

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Cheers Chaps!

Any particular places or in general?

Cheers!
    I.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Why drive up to 4 hours to ride on a beach? What about the East Riding?

IvanMTB
    Free Member

LOL!!!

I posted “preferably less than 4 h drive”. No idea what’s around that’s why setting this up to 4 hours radius.

The shorter trip, the better.

Cheers!
    I.

ianfitz
    Free Member

There’s a fair stretch of sand between whitby and sandsend and an old train line (the cinder track) that leads south to Scarborough. If you parked at sandsend you could ride the beach to whitby hit the cinder track come off at robin hoods bay. Ride that then go back via the cinder track.

The East Coast is really beautiful. Northumberland is awesome but obviously a longer drive

helpful1
    Free Member

Blackpool. at least then when you find out just how dull it is you can console yourself with an exciting donkey ride and a bag of chips.

Ps. the coast is 70miles or less from any point in the UK

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Thanks once again.

I can read map good enough to realize that coast is not that far from my place any direction I choose.

Rather after piece of advice like ianfitz posted 🙂

Cheers!
    I.

helpful1
    Free Member

Sorry. I’ll try to be more like ianfitz for you.

There’s a fair stretch of sand between Edinburgh and Hull. You will find you’ll need to divert off the sand at points and follow more interesting coastal paths and roads but it’s all fairly obvious from simply looking ahead and using common sense. If you parked pretty much anywhere along this stretch of coast you can ride the beach and coastal paths in either direction and head back the way you came or bail onto a road if you end up short of time or perhaps didn’t enjoy some stretches all that much. With a little planning the East coast train line could also come in quite handy for returning to your car.

The East Coast is really beautiful. I grew up on the coast and as a boy explored long stretches of it by bike and on foot fairly often without ever looking at a map. I myself am familiar with the entire stretch of coast from Edinburgh to Alnwick. for me it is committed to memory but in hindsight a map may be just the thing for you.

I hope this has been a little been more helpful.

rickmeister

Spurn head too far away?

helpful1
    Free Member

or towards the other end. I hear plenty bikers have ridden the channel of Floaty heid

IvanMTB
    Free Member

I hope this has been a little been more helpful.

Much more descriptive and helpful indeed Sir 🙂

Thanks a lot.

Cheers!
    I.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Northumberland between Walkworth and Lindisfarne
    East Yorks Spurn Island to Filey then around Whitby
    Merseyside Crosby to Southport

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/global-fat-bike-day-2016

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I hear plenty bikers have ridden the channel of Floaty heid

Even if nobody else gets it, 😆

motorman
    Free Member

Book holidays
    Head to Moray, NE Scotland 😉

Drac

Northumberland’s rubbish, miles of endless sandy beaches with only a few people on and pubs along the way. Honestly it’s terrible.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Northumberland’s rubbish, miles of endless sandy beaches with only a few people on and pubs along the way. Honestly it’s terrible.

Yep. Hateful place. No history, no decent beer, food’s rubbish and the locals are utterly miserable unwelcoming people. I’d avoid it if I was you.

😉

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Fantastic pics motorman 🙂

Good plan for the future, but no more holiday left in this year.

JohnClimber, that is interesting. Thanks for info and I guess invitation 😉

Cheers!
    I.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Is sure is and you’d be more than welcome to join us on Saturday 5th Dec.
    Just let me know so I can add your name to the list.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Cheers John

YGM 🙂

Regards!
    I.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Calling all beach riders – where to go beach riding?’ is closed to new replies.