Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Calling all Anthem X owners – sizing advice please?
  • Carlton
    Free Member

Thinking of getting an Anthem X but the sizing is a bit of a concern. I'm 5'11 and so at the top end of a Med but at the bottom end of a Lge. Current bike top tube is the same as the Med so I'm tempted to go that route as I don't want to feel too stretched out and racey so was just hoping I could get some 'real world' advice on here.

Cheers

onewheelgood

If you don't want to feel too stretched out and racy you might want to re-consider your choice of an Anthem. That's what it is, that's what it does. I'm 5'7" and ride a Med – once I flipped the stem to lower the bars it feels just right, but that's what I'm used to – in fact it's slightly shorter than my other two bikes (Marins of '92 and '99 vintage).

It's a great bike, fine for all-day rides – I spent 7 hours on it in the Peak District a couple of weeks back – but it is a racer at heart.

tragically1969
    Free Member

The sizing on Giants is weird to say the least, i nearly bought a Trance but i decided against it as the medium was to small and the large too big, i think they really need a M\L in the range to suit everybody

Carlton
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice – looking at the geometry it's similar to my current bike so might have to go and have a proper try on one to see.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"i nearly bought a Trance but I decided against it as the medium was to small"

I'm 5.11 and got a medium tranceX and with a slightly shortened stem it is true that the effective TT is relatively short. People av told me that this gives it a more freeride geometry less suited to XC, but the character of the rest of the bike more "tech XC" I'd say, although the head angle is not esp. slack.

I dunno, I got used to the short TT I guess. You do need along saddle to get over the front on steep climbs – but it came with a short saddle which I changed.

I can see why people complain about Giants' geometry and sizing because they do not fit the "norm" as pushed by the mag reviewers. Somehow, they still manage to be great bikes.

I'd love a Anthem X

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Giant sizing is a bit of a problem for those of us of a particular height.

I currently have an 06 Giant XTC in medium.At a smidge under 6ft I

a

t like the gate I feared it would be.

Giant now do M/L in some of their road bike range,and it would seem to make sense for them to do likewise on their mtb range,for those of us between 5ft 10 and 6ft 2.

At 5ft 11,I`d try an M and an L,(if you can find anywhere with an Anthem in stock….)back to back if possible,but for the sort of riding the bike is aimed at reckon the L,would be the way to go.

Frankers
    Free Member

No help I know but I'm 6' and found that i'm definately a M/L in their road bikes.

I've had a go on the Anthem X and I found the large fits well, my mate is 5'11" and he felt the med suited much better, he also had a med NRS and VT. I don't just think it's down to your height but also arm reach and leg length as well.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I'm just under 5' 11" and have a medium Anthem X, running a 90mm stem and a Deus XC post. The bike came with a layback post, which probably gave a slightly better position. I do find it comfy on long rides – I have fairly wide bars too, and run a 100 – 130 fork (though never at 130 – typically 115 max). It feels good and planted, but with a decent amount of standover.

v10
    Free Member

Im 5'10 and ive just bought a Medium 09 X3 as a little project bike. Large is a bit of a gate!

russjp
    Free Member

Im 5'9 and I ride a small X2 with a 60mm stem.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Calling all Anthem X owners – sizing advice please?’ is closed to new replies.