Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Calling all amateur chiropractors
  • rocketman
    Free Member

Afternoon all. I pulled something in my back a week ago and spent the next few days lying on the floor it was very painful. The pain has gone away now and I can do my regular glute/abductor stretches but I’m conscious that my hips are not 100% level – there is a tension like a spine curvature that’s pulling them off-kilter.

I have The One Ride To End Them All planned this weekend, should I abandon it or will the exercise ‘tease’ the tension out of my back/hips?

thanks for any advice

pault41
    Free Member

See a professional .
    Worth the expense in long run

Cougar

Calling all amateur chiropractors

Is there any other kind? </troll>

Roblilly
    Free Member

I would get down the osteopath sharpish. These things don’t heal, the body works around them

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Is there any other kind? </troll>

Brian Hammond

Cougar

The candidate for Sutton & Cheam? Not seeing it myself.

z1ppy

Do the ride, then go see a chiropractor.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

because he is ‘also’ the candidate for sutton and cheam

Travis

see a professional.

You wouldn’t see an idiot about mending your car, and your back is worth more.

alfabus
    Free Member

see a doctor, osteopath or orthopaedic surgeon; not a chiropractor.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

see a doctor,

Take some ibuprofen

osteopath

Bendier Chiro

or orthopaedic surgeon;

Let’s open it up and have a look

not a chiropractor.

Clickety click, you’ll feel 66

eth3er
    Free Member

Quackery, no. Osteopath, absolutely.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Well, to be fair, some fairly wild claims are made about the benefits of Chiropractic, but as straightforward bonesetters, they’ve been good for me and excellent for folks i know who suffered from sciatica

Cougar

…which is odd, because that’s one of the afflictions that Chiropractic hasn’t been proven efficacious for. Lower back pain, maybe.

Perhaps your humours were misaligned, disrupting your body’s innate intelligence, and your sciatica was just a side effect.

http://chiromt.com/content/18/1/3

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

i didn’t have sciatica

z1ppy

Sorted out my sciatica & lower back problems (& for my g/f a qualified nurse – she recommended the chiro to me), which it seems were connected. Also gave me stretchs/exercises, which once I bothered to do regularly have lessened my need to see her.
    Throughly recommend my Mc Timoney chiropractor & would happily recommend her to anyone (west mid based).

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I think one of the problems of the RCT Meta-Analysis cited by Cougar is that in dealt with sciatica as a single concept. There are a number of causes of sciatica, some of which may be easily by chiropractic as such the effect size is an agglomeration of two constructs.

z1ppy

woow man, that’s far to heavy for me…

Oh and see educated me about my everyday posture, whilst at work and driving that improved things no end.. she’s **** great, I tell ya!

cinnamon_girl

Cougar – couple of questions for you. Have you ever had back pain? Have you ever used a Chiropractor?

I know you are dismissive of them. Why?

Cougar

i didn’t have sciatica

Sorry, misunderstood. What did you have?

my g/f a qualified nurse – she recommended the chiro to me

I’d respectfully suggest that she reads up on what it is before doling out advice.

the effect size is an agglomeration of two constructs.

This may be true, but neither of those constructs have anything to do with straight chiropractic. It’s entirely possible that the practitioner also did some other non-chiropractic things (known in the trade as a ‘mixer’) which did actually do some good, or it could just be the placebo effect.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

No, i mean that there are many causes of sciatica. If you treat them all with Chiropractic, then some forms are cured immediately others not. So overall, it looks like chiropractic is no good. You need to disaggregate the results into the different forms.

It’s entirely possible that the practitioner also did some other non-chiropractic things (known in the trade as a ‘mixer’) which did actually do some good, or it could just be the placebo effect.

I’m not sure if you are referring to the study here. It would seem that you are not and are perhaps referring to zippy, so I’ll leave it. Unless of course you mean the study.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

i didn’t have sciatica

Sorry, misunderstood. What did you have?

Lower back pain.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

May I suggest voodoo.

Cougar

Have you ever had back pain?

Not that required treatment.

Have you ever used a Chiropractor?

No.

I know you are dismissive of them. Why?

Because they’re out of the same school of horseshit peddlers as homeopathists. Chiropractic is borne out of vitalistic medicine, which is what we had before we knew anything about biology (it’s the same ‘chi’ gibberish that has hippies buying power crystals). The basic premise is that all (yes, all) disease is down to problems with the body’s natural intelligence and that spinal manipulation restores imbalances in your humours and suchlike.

Chiropracty these days is keeping its head above water largely because in addition to the horseshit, some practitioners are mixing in efficacious western treatments such as massages and heat / cold applications. So then people come away telling strangers on the Internet how good it is.

It’s got mainstream acceptance, in contrast to a lot of the new age / TCM “alternative medicine” industry, perhaps because they sneak in some actual treatment when no-one’s looking. A lot of people erroneously believe it’s a conventional, proven therapy. It’s not, and I find it ingenuous that they try to hide this fact.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Dunno what you’ve done, but it sounds fairly similar to my problems. My physio alyays said riding would be fine, chiropractor says no way. Physio was wrong, chiropractor correct IME. Rode only 30 miles this weekend, can’t walk without drugs so far this week 🙁

Doctor recommended I try chiro too as an alternative to physio. I am feeling an improvement over the month, but it may be just because I’ve held off the cycling until last weekend. If this doesn’t work I might see an osteopath, just to get the set:) Is it like monopoly, and I can build houses on them at that point? The opposite would appear true at the moment, they are building houses on me 👿

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Because they’re out of the same school of horseshit peddlers as homeopathists. Chiropractic is borne out of vitalistic medicine, which is what we had before we knew anything about biology (it’s the same ‘chi’ gibberish that has hippies buying power crystals). The basic premise is that all (yes, all) disease is down to problems with the body’s natural intelligence and that spinal manipulation restores imbalances in your humours and suchlike

Yes, some say that, but others say that it is just about fixing muscleoskeletal misalignments and nothing more. I believe those guys

cinnamon_girl

Cougar – OK, fair enough, that’s your opinion. But, if you had excruciating back pain, would you want treatment? If so, who would you consult with?

I agree with you about other alternative treatments, can’t get my head around reflexology etc etc.

Rich – sorry to hear that you’re in pain, nothing to do with Dartmoor? 😉 Do hope you get fixed soon.

z1ppy

my g/f a qualified nurse – she recommended the chiro to me
    I’d respectfully suggest that she reads up on what it is before doling out advice.

& I respectfully retain the right to believe someone who actually worked in the medical world, rather than just reads up on it. My experience, I had back pains, now I don’t, I’ll stick with the my chiropractor thanks. I had no expectations but had an issue that need dealing with, it got dealt with. As with cycling, there more than one type of chiropractor, not all of them signed up for the S. Singh case, yet there all branded with that now.

Cougar

Yes, some say that, but others say that it is just about fixing muscleoskeletal misalignments and nothing more. I believe those guys

That’s your privilege, of course. A lot of people believe in a lot of hokey stuff. Creationists, for instance.

OK, fair enough, that’s your opinion.

Well, no, it’s not opinion at all, it’s fact.

But, if you had excruciating back pain, would you want treatment? If so, who would you consult with?

An osteopath, most likely. Or someone else with actual reputable medical credentials.

Cougar

I respectfully retain the right to believe someone who actually worked in the medical world, rather than just reads up on it.

It’s called “false authority syndrome” but, yes, again, that’s your privilege.

Cougar

can’t get my head around reflexology etc etc.

Sounds like you’re getting it mixed up with phrenology (-:

z1ppy

Lol

Cougar

there more than one type of chiropractor

Yes, I said this. There’s two.

“Straight” chiropractors believe in the vitalistic approach exclusively. This lot are actually in decline now.

“Mixer” chiropractors offer conventional treatments in addition to the woo, and shuffle their feet and look a bit embarrassed when asked about the holistic nonsense that their profession was founded on. Which is kinda groovy, but they’d be being a lot more honest about the whole thing if they dropped the pretence that they’re chiropractors and started calling themselves “backologists” or something.

Problem is, chiropractic therapy is big business (it’s something like the third largest medical profession, or something similar) so it’s not going to go away anytime soon when there’s all that money still to be fleeced out of people who don’t understand what it is (or don’t want to).

RichPenny
    Free Member

“Mixer” chiropractors offer conventional treatments in addition to the woo, and shuffle their feet and look a bit embarrassed when asked about the holistic nonsense that their profession was founded on.

Mine doesn’t mention any of that bullshit, and appears to do very similar manipulations to my physio. do you feel the same way about physiotherapy?

RichPenny
    Free Member

Actually, I’ve had two physios. The NHS one told me plenty, but only gave me exercises that crippled me. Lost faith in her tbh.

Here’s a bit of good advice for the OP. Do some basic stretches to gauge the pain in your back. Then go and do a flat out 25 mile ride. If your back hurts a lot more immediately or even over the next few days, I’d not think the massive ride is a good idea. I KNOW you want to do it, I did too. At some point, I might take my own advice 😀

Cougar

Mine doesn’t mention any of that bullshit, and appears to do very similar manipulations to my physio

How would you know? Have you asked why they’re poking a particular bit? Physios don’t go much in for subluxation, last I checked.

Anyway. If they’re doing the same manipulations, why isn’t (s)he a physiotherapist?

do you feel the same way about physiotherapy?

Well, no, because it’s based on crazy, out-there concepts such as biology and anatomy and its efficacy is well proven.

eth3er
    Free Member

I find it difficult to understand people who go to bat defending discredited alternative medical systems with no basis in fact or science.

Chiro is quackery, a pseudoscience alternative medical system that makes great claims, in other words woo woo.

cinnamon_girl

Hark at these keyboard warriors who have diddly squat experience of it. 🙄

Cougar

If someone told me they knew a magic word that could cure cancer, would I need to ‘experience’ it first hand before I could dismiss it as BS?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Calling all amateur chiropractors’ is closed to new replies.