Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Calling all 29er riders. What all round tyres,,, yes yes i know.
  • bigsi
    Free Member

I’m in the process of building up my 1st 29er and have got to the point where i need to look at tyres so thought i would pick the collective brain of the STW’ers.

I need a bit of a do it all tyre really, not to draggy, useable all year round, corners well, good on most surfaces including a bit of mud as its getting into spring/summer.

I currently run 2.35 60a Highrollers on my ‘normal’ bike and wish they did these for 29er’s so really guess I’m looking for something silimar to these.

Any thoughts, ideas ?

Cheers

ton

nevagals are a good choice si, also running some crossrail, bit narrow but very fast.
    so nevagals for rocky and crossrails for smooth…. 8)

bonesetter
    Free Member

As Ton said

Nevegals are good all rounders

Now that summer’s nearly here Rampage?

singlespeedstu

The Racing Ralph 2.4’s a good all rounder.

WTB Stout for more grip, but they do drag a fair bit so best off front only.

WTB Weirwolf for less grip. Roll quick, grip well in the dry and nice and big for plenty of cush.

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

Nevegals are great. I run jones acx on the front and xr or the rear. The xr is not exactly an all rounder but I expect the acx front and rear would be good. They are a lot lighter than the nevegals and combined with running them tubeless the bike feels more lively.

tootallpaul

Another vote for Nevegals.

Small Block 8’s if its drier.

WTB Vulpine if its totally dry.

Off to Afan tomorrow to try out my new Racing Ralphs. Will report back when I’ve tried em…

aviemoron
    Free Member

tootallpaul, post up your findings on the RR’s especially if you can find some wet roots!!!

bonesetter
    Free Member

Or sharp rocks 😯

nukeproof
    Free Member

Found Bonty ACX to be excellent all rounders. Never got around trying the 29er Small Block 8 tyres I’ve got…must get around to bunging them on the Classifieds.

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Michelin AT’s are pretty good year round and they last quite weel too (just binned the rear off the wife’s bike after 18mths of use commuting and off-road)

WTB Exiwolf for all round (2 new ones on the wifes bike), Weirwolf for the dry but a little lacking in cornering grip so rear only really. I have fitted a Stout on the front of the hooligan bike for a little more front end grip 🙂 Exi rear / Weir front on the other “more sedate” / epic ride rigid bike.

I ran a pair of SB8’s and was bitterly disapointed in slow rolling, low cornering grip and flimsy sidewalls. WTB Vulpine would be a better rear tyre in dry conditions.

Bonty ACX are great and on a par with the Michelins, but they wear faster.

SSP

tootallpaul

Will go looking for roots and rocks as instructed…

The nevegals are superb on all those things.

Hope the RR’s live up to them.

The nevegals are in the boot just in case.

P

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

I’ve tried a 2.35in Panaracer Rampage 29er on the front of my 69er and found it to be nothing short of excellent. Not tried it on the back of anything yet, might be a bit draggy, but definately no shortage of grip. It does look a lot like a nevegal too.

keavo
    Free Member

fast tyres for dryish conditions: geax sagauro, wtb nanoraptor and wtb weirwolf. better allrounders that can handle some mud, but slower: michelin xc at and wtb prowler.

MrTall
    Free Member

Nukeproof,

How much would you want for the small block 8’s?

Have them in the 26″ version and think they’re great (2.35s) and as i’m convinced we’re gonna have a lovely warm summer this year i’d be interested to try the 29er version as they should be a lot lighter than the Spesh fastrack which came on the bike. Now using The Captain tryes whixh are actually pretty good allrounders as well.

NZCol

I’ve been mighty impressed with my WTB PRowler 2.1″ – they’ve lasted well and grip incredibly well on everything from slippy rooty stuff to dry and dusty. Incredible things.

bigsi
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies guys 😀 .

Got most of the bike built this evening. Goes into my LBS for the headset and bb/crank fitting tomorrow then just need to decide on what to do about wheels 😕

Running Specialized The Captain 2.0 (f) & Fast Trak 2.0(r) on my geared 29er………Running WTB Stout 2.3 (f) & Continental Mountain King 2.2(r) on the single speed……..

All good tyres by me….Stout is grippy and heavy at 900grams but runs well…..continental MK comes up narrower than the specialized 2.0’s….All can be had for £20ish ……

bigsi
    Free Member

Any body know where i can get some Nevegals online as Wiggle, CRC & Winstanley don’t have them 🙁

allankelly

Wow, no Conti tyres mentioned I think…

I’m just back from a Red at Glentress on the Singular with Conti Mountain Kings 2.4″ done “ghetto tubeless”. Fantastic. Ran them way lower pressure than I run my ghetto 26″ Conti Verticals, about 25PSI. No slippage at all, dusty trails and loose gravel.

CRC have them for about £24 each I think.

I ran it previously with Conti Vapors, ghetto of course. These are great for mixed-terrain commuting (I get to use the John Muir Way for part of my commutte =) but rubbish once you push them off-road at speed.

Garden comments welcome.

al.

tootallpaul

I like the continental big “29 INCH” logo!

I think they aren’t mentioned much as not many people seem to be stocking them as yet.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Another vote for Bonty ACX.
    High rollers are nice light and fast rolling though dont take much abuse.
    I want to try small block 8’s next.

Clink

Bonty ACX here – grip well, reasonable in clag.

Sandwich

Correct all tyres are round. NEXT.

martinh
    Free Member

I like the Conti mountain kings but on a singlespeed I find the back a little slow so have been running a Mountain King up front and a Ralph on the back for the last 10 months. During this time it’s been wet, muddy and snowy and this combo has worked fine.

thomthumb
    Free Member

running ralphs front and rear and thay have been good for the last few months – they haven’t really seen a winter yet.

I think i will by eying up jones acx, or maxxis ardents come slop time.

ACX seem like a very good alrounder (although i admit to not riding them)

MrTall
    Free Member

Allterrain cycles seem to do the best selection of 29er tyres and they stock The Nevegals.

Farticus

Singlespeedstu – what’s the radius of the 29 x 2.4″ Racing Ralph? That’s my tyre of choice for my DIY 69er, but I need to make sure it’ll fit in my 440mm Pace RC31s.

Cheers

thomthumb
    Free Member

they fit in a 440 on one fork with some clearence – i’d be amazed if they didn’t fit a rc31

Farticus

Thanks thomthumb – that’s good enough. Time to plough on with project 69er then.

lovewookie

I’ve used Bonty ACX’s and found them draggy, much like their dual compound 26″ versions. Bloody good at the mountain mayhem a couple of years ago though, cleared mud very well and gripped like buggery (not sure I want to fully understand that phrase)

Michelin AT’s are great, little heavier than I wanted and not quite as supple a casing as some, but roll nicely and resist punctures well.

Geax saguaro’s are brilliant if it’s not too muddy. Very fast, light and grippy on most stuff. got a bit lost in sticky goo though.

Finally ended up on Maxxis Crossmark. Grippy enough to tackle some goop, fast on the fireroads and grip rocks and roots well. Just a shame the 26″ versions I have now aren’t quite as good.

aviemoron
    Free Member

I’m still on an old pair of Hutchy Pythons, which are lovely and fast, grippy on rock and given me no bother apart from in mud and on wet roots. I bought Nevegals and Rampages neither of which fit on the rear – Titus Racer X, but I run the Nevegal up front in the winter and just keep the Python on the rear ( weird combo, but ok for me). Pythons getting kinda worn, so thinking of the Racing Ralphs next. Oh and I broke my collarbone on wet roots when using the Michelin AT’s – so I’ll no be using them again!

orange
    Free Member

bonty ACX for all round muddy UK riding

if you are more a trail centre rider then nevegal front and crossmark rear

Chevin
    Free Member

Always was a fan of the Bonty ACX , fitted XDX (was called dryX last year) very fast, grippy. Were very good round Dalby.

Matthew

tootallpaul

Racing Ralph 2.4 ride report as promised…

So far, so good. They have performed impeccably- I’ve been riding at Afan for 2 days now, and have encountered every trail condition you can imagine. Rocks/roots/mud/damp/dry/soaking! Yesterday I did Penddhydd in glorious sunshine, and then the wall in torrential rain. The definately aren’t as draggy as Nevegals, and seem to be just as grippy on most surfaces, bar mud where they seem a little less grippy than the nevegals.

5/5

I like.

:o)

Ti29er
    Free Member

I’ve moved to the Bonty Jones too, away from NNiccs (on the 26er) as they just wear out so darn quickly and the number of damn punctures…!
    I have a pair of 29er XDX to try out next and never go beyond 2.1 (Afan needs no more than 2.1 in my view) at this time of the year. I ride a 1.8 Bonty locally and it just flies along! 2.4 at Glentress maybe though.
    Tim

cx_monkey

Just started using the Maxxis Ardent 2.25 – and it’s a fantastic tyre – was using the Crossmark 2.1 beforehand it was quick, but a little vague up front when it got even a little gloopy. Had only ever used the Jones ACX and XDX before – and the Ardent kicks them both into touch!

Ti29er
    Free Member

That Ardent is a free-ride / DH tyre.
    For fast rolling, try the Jones XR.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Calling all 29er riders. What all round tyres,,, yes yes i know.’ is closed to new replies.