Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Calling abroad. Someone please help me understand this!
  • fatladridesbikes
    Free Member

The girlfriend is currently in Thailand and has been staying at various 5 star resorts for her work, customer services for Kuoni.Nnice work if you can get it!

I’ve been calling her at the hotels from my Virgin land line as well as to her mobile from my land line and can’t understand how it can be so much more expensive to call the hotel land line.

A 20 minute call to her mobile costs me £3.36 where as an 18 minute call to the hotel costs £25.41!!!!

What gives as I thought it would be more expensive calling her on the mobile??

peterfile
    Free Member

Reciprocal agreement with the mobile carrier?

fatladridesbikes
    Free Member

Well my land line is Virgin and the mobile is Vodafone so unsure!

aP
    Free Member

Unless she has a local phone provider she’ll be paying quite a lot of money to receive your phone calls on her mobile.

iolo
    Free Member

Skype is your friend

luffy105
    Free Member

Is it a Thai mobile or her UK mobile in Thailand?

If it is her UK mobile then that makes perfect sense as you will pay the same irrespective of whether she is in the same room as you or on the moon. She will be paying about £1.50 per min to receive that call though so you might want to factor that in. 20 min call = £30

If it is a Thai mobile then it might be the carrier doing some fancy least cost routing. If so, ring that, it’s cheaper

Teetosugars
    Free Member

aP – Member
    Unless she has a local phone provider she’ll be paying quite a lot of money to receive your phone calls on her mobile.

This…- you only pay uk-uk mobile, she picks up the roaming side of it.

luffy105
    Free Member

just seen your next post… if it’s a UK voda sim then get ready for a nice little bill

McHamish
    Free Member

Is it her UK mobile?

If so you are paying for the charge to call her mobile as if it was in the UK. She will be paying for the call from the UK to Thailand (it’ll show up on her bill). In total I imagine the call will be more expensive than calling the hotel directly.

Hopefully it’s her work mobile not personal as she may get a big bill.

When calling the hotel directly you are paying for the entire international call.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

luffy105 – Member
    just seen your next post… if it’s a UK voda sim then get ready for a nice little bill

and a my bill is £2,000,000 and all I did was use my mobile in Thailand like I do at home post

fatladridesbikes
    Free Member

Teetosugars – Member
    aP – Member
    This…- you only pay uk-uk mobile, she picks up the roaming side of it.

Even with the data roaming switched off on her phone ?

peterfile
    Free Member

Even with the data roaming switched off on her phone ?

Calls don’t use data, so it will make no difference.

McHamish
    Free Member

Data roaming is for the internet, not for phone calls.

I think this is an “oh shit” moment.

duntstick
    Free Member

Calling from abroad. Simple, use Skype on the 5* hotel wifi

fatladridesbikes
    Free Member

Not too worried if she has a big bill as we’ll just deal with it but was confused how it was cheaper on my bill as didn’t realise she’d be paying to receive calls.

fatladridesbikes
    Free Member

Cheers all 🙂

iolo
    Free Member

Viber sometimes work but can be patchy

wrightyson
    Free Member

If an I phone use face time, or use the viber app . Both are free if connected to wifi.
    Also whattsapp for text/pictures/short videos which again will all be free via wifi.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I spoke to my mate in Qatar in viber the other day. No probs at all.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Make a call Receive a call Send a text Send a picture message Data
    80p a min 75p a min 35p + a domestic text 37p £3 per MB for up to 5MB then £15 for every 5MB afte

Only 75p per minute to receive a call bargain…

McHamish
    Free Member

She should have got a text shortly after landing in Thailand outlining the roaming charges.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Oh and Skype tends to work fairly seamlessly for free and video calling. It what we all used before apple invented VoIP and video calls facetime

euain

Well some of us were using iChat (predecessor to FaceTime) to do video chat before Skype added any video capabilities 😉

iolo
    Free Member

Euain
    you’re so cool

fatladridesbikes
    Free Member

Looks like about a £50 bill which I can live with 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

presume its a works mobile……

doubt she will get any back lash for the odd 20 minute call.

euain

iolo – Member
    Euain
    you’re so cool

Unnecessary – but thanks 🙄

fatladridesbikes
    Free Member

You presume wrong trail_rat!

Kuoni won’t even pay the cost of someone calling home from the hotel 😯 Educationals like this sound like a great part of the job but they aren’t fun. 8am – 10pm for 10 days straight with 16 hours travelling at either end of the stay!

They really are a piss take of a company to work for 🙄

trail_rat
    Free Member

ooooft ouch.

ah i see – just googled the company.

tonyg2003

I use Viber all the time (phone to phone VOIP) and call people all over the world. As long as you both have a good internet connection it works absolutely fine.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Calling abroad. Someone please help me understand this!’ is closed to new replies.