Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Call for Evans Cycles Boycot
  • shaggie
    Free Member

How can Evans Cycles possibly justify charging £15.99 for a 9 Speed SRAM Powerlink Gold Chain Connector ?
    I know they tend to be expensive generally but this is just imoral, we should seriously think about boycoting them.

aracer
    Free Member

Just think of all those poor children who will starve because their dad didn’t shop around when buying a chain link.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Its for a pack of 4….

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

did you put that tag aracer? I miss not being able to tag any more.. 😥

OP. Price match them if you have to buy from them. Evans are the pinata of the UK bike trade. It’s not worth getting wound up over!

martinxyz
    Free Member

In the Fisher catalogue I think it shows them priced as 4 and also 100.

TooTall
    Free Member

Its for a pack of 4….

and

Other shops are available.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I got a pair of Troy Lee gloves for £12. No boycotting here.

ChrisA
    Free Member

Find it cheaper online and they price match at the till, so I don’t see there is an issue

toys19
    Free Member

Are they owned by the Argies?

jota180
    Free Member

Just don’t buy it?

oh hang on, isn’t that a boycott? or just capitalism at work?

wwaswas

Retailer charging retail price shocker.

MSP

I bought a big S deviant carbon helmet from them for 80 euros, including delivery to Germany, probably the biggest bargain I have ever got from any shop ever.

Biggest ripoff was skyline at afan charging 20% above rrp for brake pads.

andyfb78
    Free Member

they have lied to me on several occasions and refused to fix stuff under warranty.
    claiming they are ‘fully qualified mechanics’….. maybe, but still wrong

i already do boycott them..

timmys

Stupid thread, misspelled word in the title – I’m boycotting you sonny!

fasthaggis

Let them feel your wrath.
    Do not hesitate to tell everyone you meet,talk them in to submission.
    Start a petition.
    Start a new hairstyle.
    March down an empty street with a determined stare ( and the new hairstyle).
    Get children to carry home made signs.
    Face paint everyone in your march.
    Write to your MP,MSP,BP,OAP and DoRayMe.
    or

Search the internet.
    Find them.
    Buy them.
    Then sit in a chair by the fire ,rocking gently (possibly dribbling),while whispering “Myyyyyyy Preciousssssss”

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’m calling for a Geoff Boycot’s cycle boycot.

bol

I’ve already boycotted them. In fact I’ve boycotted every bike shop apart from my LBS, whoever happens to be cheapest online for the part I want, or the shop that is nearest when I need something urgently.

messiah
    Free Member

I find the title very scary…

In Scots a “Doocot” is a structure intended to house pigeons or doves; and therefore I am assuming that the “Boycot” in the title is a similar structure for the housing of boys!!!

I’m not very happy about this and plan to write to my MP.

Mikey65
    Free Member

Use the price match……….they price matched me a Crankset c/w BB against a crankset only…..worked for me…..No need to boycott just shop around…We actually have a good deal with out LBS and get really good discounts because we use them…..try to use them a bit more now and they can get most things in if needed.

binners

I’ve had a dig around and I’ve found you this. It may go some way to explaining a concept that, believe it or not, has dominated western thinking for decades. And despite its numerous, and recently grandly illustrated faults, is apparently better than any of the alternatives.

Capitalism

There will be questions later

drofluf
    Free Member

Why stop at Evans? For that we should boycott all bike shops. That’ll teach ’em!

Anyone see a flaw in that?

No?

Good. No more buying bike stuff. Wait until they all come to us begging for mercy

binners

Did they actually have any in stock? From my experience of Evans, if its something smaller or more specific than a complete bike, you may struggle

amedias
    Free Member

How can Evans Cycles possibly justify charging £15.99 for a 9 Speed SRAM Powerlink Gold Chain Connector ?

while you were there being outraged did you actually ask them that?
    like saying:

“hey, that seems a bit expensive, I’ve seen them a lot cheaper elsewhere, why so much?”

And if you did then what was their reply?

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I get the impression the OP didn’t really think it through before posting. 😐

antigee

we should seriously think about…..

i think its good that we haven’t all acted without doing this serious thinking bit first

“hey, that seems a bit expensive, I’ve seen them a lot cheaper elsewhere, why so much?”

this is an excellent example of thinking through the problem and maybe getting both sides to see each others point of view before anything too rash happens

ps just off to B&Q to get some screws – i’ve downloaded a draft pro-forma UN mandate and am taking a picture of kids and pets , any problems i’ll be back for help later

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I’ve neevr understood the attraction of Evans. I’ve always thought of them as a green-decored Halfords a-like.

ransos
    Free Member

Its for a pack of 4….

That’s great value! I think I’ll pop down there at lunchtime…

wwaswas

a green-decored Halfords a-like

I find Halfords fine, tbh, they’re no mroe expensive than elsewhere, tend to have a resonable selection of bits and bobs available to buy there and then and, on the whole, the staff are willing to help.

They do throw up the amazing bargins every now and again, too, either through their ‘bargin bin’ or selling old bikes off cheap.

AndyP
    Free Member

My nan could have made a better bike shop with a stick of rhubarb.

andyl
    Free Member

I buy packs of 2 KMC ones off a shop on ebay for £3 posted. If you don’t spend a couple of minutes to look for a decent price (it’s pretty easy these days) then expect to pay the RRP.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Other than the obvious said above, I had a funny moment with an Evan’s member of staff.

I’m a care worker, supporting autistic adults with severe learning disabilities. They use a tricycle and these tend to be made out of the worst parts. So a v-brake lever snapped and I had to get a replacement.

DAMN YOU MISSION TRICYCLES!! 👿

He asked what sort of budget, I explained the situation and asked for something like a basic Shimano or Avid lever. After not being able to find one, the chap came out and after apologising profusely shook my hand!?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I once went into maplin (the evans of the electrical component world, CRC being RS) with a wadd of cash (about £2k), never been called sir so frequently by so many attentive staff in a bike shop, depite the potential for spending the same or more!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

If you’re in the Waterloo-London Bridge-Tower Bridge area (that Lahndahn), there are three Evans bike stores. There is also a new “On Your Bike” store in Tooley Street near London Bridge station which, apart from being an excellent store, also offers bike storage…… 😉

clubber
    Free Member

It’s a shame in a sense about Evans. When I started cycling (mid 90s), Evans was my LBS (Wandsworth branch) and it was still basically a local shop even though they had the Waterloo shops. The staff there were knowledgeable, keen and helpful.

But then they’ve been pretty successful as a business as far as I can see with major expansion though admittedly I don’t know how it’s been funded and have heard rumours that things nearly went very wrong from that viewpoint.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Without going into the tedious details, they’ve lost an expensive Endura jacket which I gave them to send back under warranty and refuse to do anything about it. Shall I return to give them more of my money?

Ooh, let me see now…

chay
    Free Member

as said before internet price match them.

Chillfactor branch gave 4 free spokes so that I could mend my back wheel…………..I have no issue with them.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I just got a mech hanger from evans for £9.99, quite happy with that TBH.

flyingfox
    Free Member

Please boycott them. It’s a great idea. Boycott us too. I actually charged a retail price for a tube the other day (and didn’t feel guilty). But then we repaired some bikes for nothing even though they had bought them from another local bike shop.

I generally shop around for parts and boycott all but teh cheapest shop.

I frequently flounce off the forum around bedtime too, then relent and log in again the next morning after I wake up.

aracer
    Free Member

maplin (the evans of the electrical component world, CRC being RS)

A bit harsh on Maplin – I’d describe them as more Leisure Lakes. Farnell are CRC, whilst RS are kind of like Madison with a retail front end (the analogy is poor – there isn’t really a good equivalent of RS in the bike trade).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Call for Evans Cycles Boycot’ is closed to new replies.