Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Caliper alignment issues – face the mounts?
  • Garry_Lager

The front caliper on my cross bike causes is aggravating to align – it’s a 160mm rotor so the caliper is sitting on an adapter – post mount. When I tighten it down the adapter shifts, throwing the alignment off. Anyone had this situation?

I was wondering if this suggests that facing the fork mounts is in order? Right now it’s just two bolts straight through, no washers or anything else, don’t know if this is relevant.

I can compensate for the shifting adapter in setting it up, but it’s taking five times longer than it should do and is basically a ballache that I’d like to resolve.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I get this with the newer SRAM Trail and Guide brakes which have ditched CPS washers except for certain configurations. Without the washers they screw down flat, which they say is fine now as tolerances are better in modern forks (and adapters?). Doing one last week though it just angles in a tiny fraction and catches the rotor when tightened, no matter what, and the calliper won’t shift any further out of the way.

Tried filing down pads thinking the last of my superstar pads is a bit thick, but the same.

In the end, adjustable wrench, bend the rotor until it spins free. Works perfectly 😀

However it could be the adapter and or fork mounts could be faced to solve it. The adapter I’m using is possibly non SRAM so maybe it’s not faced well either.

Garry_Lager

Thanks dk – it could be that the adapter is v slightly wonky, so trying a new one is a good idea. I was wondering about putting on some of those CPS washers to give a bit of adjustability, but thought they would push the caliper out too much with the adapter.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Yeah, that was my thought too and that it would push it out too much, or I’d have to go with older 203 rotors instead of 200 (for example).

tillydog
    Free Member

When I tighten it down the adapter shifts, throwing the alignment off.

Right now it’s just two bolts straight through, no washers or anything else,

I can compensate for the shifting adapter in setting it up…

Do you mean that the bolt head is pushing the caliper out of line just as it tightens up? If so, a washer under the bolt head will help.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Caliper alignment issues – face the mounts?’ is closed to new replies.