Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • California trails nr SF – recommend me a weekend's worth
  • corroded
    Free Member

I’m going to be in San Francisco for a few weeks and want to do a lot of mountain biking over a weekend or two. Where’s the best base within, say a 3-4hr drive of San Francisco? Currently looking at Downieville or Lake Tahoe (South). It would need to be somewhere with some longer trails and where I could hire a bike. I guess I’m more in XC these days and don’t mind climbing. Any tips? Have been to Marin County already. Thanks!

Harris
    Free Member

South Tahoe is a great place to stay. Flume trail should be on your to do list.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

China Camp.
    Skeggs.
    Tamarancho.
    All within 45 mins of downtown.

Downieville is worth checking out, Soqel Demo & Nisene Marks too.

Go speak to Chris at Roaring Mouse – he’ll point you in the right direction.

corroded
    Free Member

Thanks. Would prefer to get out of the city. Tahoe does look good but if there are lots of trails around Downieville, that could keep me occupied.

dantsw13

For Tamarancho, I believe you can get a ferry from downtown that takes you nearly there.

Also have a look at Mount Tam(Tamalpais) head up the Railroad grade and just follow your nose for other tracks.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

If you’re there for this Downieville Classic it’s worth entering – the descent off the top is 17 miles of bonkers fast singletrack, you’ll be properly smashed at the bottom……or at least I was but then I did do it on a HT.

spence
    Free Member

Take the ferry to Larkspur and then spin along Francis Drake towards Fairfax. Mt Tam’s on the left and Tamarancho just past the town.
    Hopefully be riding Tamaranch again this Friday if all goes to plan.

lardman
    Free Member

Downiville, is fab. Dont miss going there.
    There are some great rides in Tahoe too, such as the ‘Flume Trail’ and others around the east side.

Mammoth is good to check out too, snow melt depending etc:

China Camp near SF is worth a trip. There are also some nice rides over near Stinson Beach in West Marin.
    I lived in SF for a number of years, and i’d def make the trip up to Downiville.

have fun.

badnewz
    Free Member

What about Santa Cruz?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

What about Santa Cruz?

Soquel Demo & Nisene Marks 😉

corroded
    Free Member

Thought that I would update this thread: I flipped a coin and decided to go to Downieville for the weekend – and am really happy that I did… It’s a fantastic place – a tiny town (pop 250 or so) high in the Sierra Nevada (there was still snow about 6500ft) surrounded by trails. Mason at Yuba rented me a Santa Cruz Bronson (which I hated but that’s another story), Karen at Cocina de l’Oro fed me Mexican food, Robin at the bar poured me Sierra Nevada pale ales. The first day I rode up the Second Divide trail (after recalibrating my tolerance for exposure – the singletrack runs along the side of a valley that slopes steeply down towards a meltwater filled torrent, then down the very swoopy Third Divide Trail. Then I rode up and down the North Yuba Trail beside the river – smooth, fun, better on a hardtail than the Bronson…).

The second day I drove out to Graeagle and rode up and down Mills Peak Trail, which is another brilliant bit of trail building: rocky in places, lots of trees, all single track apart from the fire road bit, all fun. Even saw a mountain lion… On both days, because it was early in the season I was pretty much the only rider out there and the trails were in mint condition.

There are tonnes more trails to explore for when I have more than a weekend in the area (it’s 3-4hrs drive from San Fran). There are plans to connect a few of the trails together so that it will be possible to craft a big day out. I’ll be back – it was a beautiful, friendly and fun place.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘California trails nr SF – recommend me a weekend's worth’ is closed to new replies.