Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Calibre Dune has died – what Fatty next ?
  • Splash-man
    Free Member

My second hand Dune frame has cracked around the chainstay.
    I’ve really enjoyed riding it for the short time I’ve used it.
    Looking for alternatives as I fancy another Fatty.
    Happy to look at budget or more upmarket options.
    Is going for a Bluto worth the extra ?

scotroutes

I’d be looking at a carbon frame and forks from someone like Ican and transferring the parts across.

My fatbike has rigid forks and that works well for my purposes. I could never really see the need for suspension but having ridden B+ with 120mm forks I sort of get it now. I reckon it mostly comes down to what and where you ride.

zippykona

I’ve not ridden blutos but have got some cheap air forks of amazon. Put them on didn’t really notice much difference, took them off didon’t really notice much difference.

Splash-man
    Free Member

The frame only option was one thought I had in my mind but was thinking I would need to upgrade a number of components so maybe a full bike would be a better option.
    A 2017 Kona Wozo is looking attractive….

roverpig

To my mind a suspension fork totally transforms a fatbike. It goes from being something weird to a perfectly viable trail bike. Whether that is a good thing or not I don’t know. I kind of liked the weird and I’ve already got a trail bike. So, I’ve currently got a trail bike (Five), a rigid fatty (Surly ICT) and a Blutoed fatty (Dude), while I try to make up my mind which one(s) I’m going to keep. If the fatty is your only (or main) bike I’d put a suspension fork on. If it’s something that you ride from time to time for a bit of a change I’d stick with rigid as it’s more different. My problem is that I can’t work out which camp I’m in 🙂

Splash-man
    Free Member

Roverpig, I already have a 5/6″ travel trail bike, and a short travel full suspension XC bike.

This is just the fun bike at the moment but has been my go to bike since I got it.

Del

kona wo can be had for 1150. mate has one. looks like a great bit of kit if that’s your thing.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I bought fairly cheap trek Farley 5 a few months ago and after all the fatties I’ve had it ticks a lot of the boxes for me. I did have a carbon beargrease which I blutoed which ruined it for me as rover pig says so I’m happy back to rigid and the riding characteristics.

rOcKeTdOg

if you want a great trail fatty, i can recommend a smokestone henderson from http://www.Slam69.co.uk avaliable as a frame or various full builds

i natural, trail centre and 24hr races on it, really comfy, point it downhill and it’s a giggle!

Goldigger
    Free Member

I wondered where you got your frame.. £450 not a bad price.. 177mm rear dropouts. Which dropper are you using? Crank Bros highline? If so how’s it been?

If the OP rides a 19.5″
    There’s this Trek Farley frame with forks going for £500
    197mm rear dropouts.

Not sure which size dropouts the dune has, but something to consider if your planning to use your old wheels.

Splash-man
    Free Member

The Dune has 197mm rear dropouts.
    Unfortunately that Trek is too big. I would be looking at 17.5 or 18″ frame ideally.

hishairyness
    Free Member

If it helps, Smokestone Bikes make bespoke fatbikes, any colour, any spec 4 sizes, prices are very competitive. Bikes are trail mountain bike orientated. 66 degree head angle. SmokestoneBikes.com

rOcKeTdOg

Highline has been absolutely flawless for 3 months so far

Dune has 197mm rear

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Canyon Dude ftw /

dahedd
    Free Member

Gotta say I’ve got my eye on the Smokestone Henderson as an upgrade for when my Wazoo dies. One of them with a set of Manitou Mastodon forks is my plan. That or go the whole hog with a Salsa Bucksaw as a replacement for my Stumpjumper if hits mtb heaven.

Splash-man
    Free Member

Think I miss my Dune on tomorrow’s ride !
    80mm of travel on my Hei Hei won’t bring the same smiles per miles.

Splash-man
    Free Member

The Smokestone is certainly interesting but unfortunately the rear dropout is smaller……

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Every time I go to my garage I ride out on myTrek Farley 9 , from a choice of 6 various bikes,where I ride it I’m kind of glad it’s got Blutos on

jonm81

It the tradition of recommending what you own the Felt DD70 is great to ride and good looking. Merlin are still doing them for £750 (reduced from £1000).

richardthird

I’m building a Chinese one. Beargrease geometry and lighter/cheaper than a Dude 8. It’ll start sub 10kg rigid SS but might add gears and a fork later. Encouraged that a 34 B+ will fit a 26×4″ tyre.

Mugboo

I’m hoping the Smokestone chap does a run of 197mm frames for all us Dune owners.

Splash-man
    Free Member

Mugboo – have you broken your Dune or just anticipating it ?

NormalMan

I don’t recall cracking issues in the really thread that has run on here for about 2 years.

Is the cracking issue just a batch? Or more recent models?

Mugboo

Splash man, no but my mate has broken two and Postierich has a mate who has broken two too.

Mine is just out of warranty and despite me riding it as you would a hooligan hardtail it remains intact.

My mate who broke two is a serial bike breaker… His ICT is still in one piece for the moment.

Splash-man
    Free Member

My has gone on the drive side chainstay where it meets the bottom bracket. I’ve heard of others going in the same place.
    Real shame as I’ve really enjoyed riding it.

Normal Man – there is definitely a number of frame failures around on them.

Agreed the Smokestone looks great if you could just swap everything across.

emac65
    Free Member

Just checked my 12 month old(nearly to the day) Dune around the chainstay & it’s cracked ! :|. Anyone know how long the warranty on the frame is ?

Mugboo

12 months I think but they might be understanding if it’s a common fault.
    The first time my mate broke his they replaced the frame. The 2nd time they just took back the bike and gave him his money back.
    They claimed that his was the only one they’d had back…

Mugboo

Whereabouts are they cracking by the way?

roverpig

My mate who broke two is a serial bike breaker… His ICT is still in one piece for the moment.

I’d be interested to hear if he manages to break the ICT 🙂 I reckon he’ll have to go some to manage it. It’s the proverbial tank, so fair play if he does !

emac65
    Free Member

Drive side chainstay, just behind the BB on mine

sofaking
    Free Member

my canyon dude might be for sale in a week or two.

Splash-man
    Free Member

Mine was also where the drive side chain stay meets the bottom bracket 🙁

Clearly a common fault.

Mugboo

He is smashing Strava KOMs on his ICT and its lapping it up!

Checked my Dune, so far so good but I rode my FS all summer so its had one winters use. Warranty has just run out.

zippykona

Could the broken frames be repaired and strengthened?

roverpig

He is smashing Strava KOMs on his ICT and its lapping it up!

Up or down? Rigid or Bluto? Enquiring minds want to know 🙂

Splash-man
    Free Member

Zippykona – I had a basic TIG repair done on my frame but without proper heat treatment etc it didn’t last long before the crack grew.
    Unfortunately the cost of the frame doesn’t warrant spending too much on it.

Its looking like a Kona Wozo is top of my birthday list at the moment.

grenosteve
    Free Member

https://www.alpkit.com/sonder/sonder-vir-fortis

If mine died, I’d look at this frame and fork. I believe everything should swap over… although I’m not sure if its a 1x specific frame or not.

Mugboo

@Roverpig – up and down, rigid forks and Jones bars 😯

roverpig

Chapeau 🙂

jeff

2017 WoZo looks good for the money

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Calibre Dune has died – what Fatty next ?’ is closed to new replies.