Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 234 total)
  • Calibre Bossnut – Potential problem
  • fastfunker
    Free Member

Hi all,
    I can confirm that ALL the 19″ Calibre Bossnuts are now being recalled. I purchased mine a couple of weeks ago (Lakeside branch) and actually had a separate wheel-related issue. After reading through this thread, I also discovered that my Bossnutt had exactly the same frame issue (even though it was the newer “upgraded” paintjob). Go Outdoors at Lakeside have been very helpful and one of their guys has actually driven down to me to pick the bike up/deliver it back (2 hour round trip) on 3 occasions now. The bike went back for the last time today and I was told that they had received an email from head-office confirming the recall. I am receiving a full refund. It only appears to be the 19’s that are affected but it’s ALL of them – not just some I’m told. My advice: get onto the store from which you purchased the bike and get yourself a refund. I am toying with the idea of sizing up to the large frame, but am also very tempted by the Boardman FS Pro which is massively discounted (if you use BC membership card).

jbridges
    Free Member

@chrispianlee cheers for the update. Strange how yours is using the full travel of the shock and mine isn’t. I’m worried that when I actually ride the bike then it will use a few more mm travel than what it does when its deflated. The rear tyre only has a few mm clearance at the moment so if the shock does use up slightly more travel then the tyre will probably carry on rubbing.

wzzzz
    Free Member

They look to still be selling them online….

chrispianlee
    Free Member

I havent ridden mine yet as got a broken wrist. Hopefully it will be ok when I do…:o)

barrybarry85
    Free Member

Just back from Inverness GO outdoors store where they gave me a replacement bike( I kept my rims as I had converted to tubeless). I has 2 faults with mine.
    1 The rear shock had collapsed and even when fully pressurized it would only come out a half inch.
    2 This highlighted that the rear wheel rubbed the frame when fully compressed. This was a surprise to the bike tech as he was only aware of the issue affecting 19″ frames and mine is a 21″.

The customer service I received was brilliant. I was informed they usually just take all your bike parts and put them on a new frame but since I traveled 2.5 hrs to get to the store they offered me a swap for a brand new bike.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7tnbfye1uj5foip/20161126_094930.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/p3qtz97diskk4d0/20161126_094940.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/rara6refotm7m9o/20161126_094945.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/yrfv0dx6kgiahg7/20161126_140911.jpg?dl=0

brant
    Free Member

Downtube angle is slacker on larger bikes which makes stroke less progressive at the end and increases travel for a given stroke of shock. This might be what the issue is.

calibrebikes
    Free Member

@fastfunkier just to confirm there is no recall we have still only had 12 bikes with this issue. it does appear that some issues are down to the stroke of the Monarch rear shock moving more than 51mm that they should, but the main problem as i’ve stated is that the front mount was welded slightly too far forward.

if you have any direct question please contact me mike.sanderson@gooutdoors.co.uk

cheers guys, we will get these issues fixed and none more than me are upset that this has happened – but were not the first and i’m sure not the last bike company to face an issue

Cheers,
    Mike

ulysse
    Free Member

It’s not the inevitable problems that you face, but how you go about sorting them out thats either the making or breaking of you

calibrebikes
    Free Member

@ulysee yes totally understand and its causing me no end of heartache reading these posts – that’s why i’ve given you my direct email so i can personally get them fixed as it appears you’ve been getting varied aftercare.

as i say i’m gutted that you’ve had these issues and i will do my best to fix them for you

Cheers,
    Mike

bikemadevs
    Free Member

I have just picked up my Bossnut with replacement frame from the Cardiff store and have to say that the service has been excellent. Ok, there was a little confusion initially wrt pumping up the shock to overcome the bottoming out but once over that (helped by this thread and the MBR letters) The service has been great. A replacement frame was sent to the store but unfortunately it had a paint chip on the head tube. There was quite a delay on another frame but Chris who was dealing with it suggested that he repaint the chip as a possible alternative. I have to say that he did a great job and he went over and above anything I expected. I accepted the unique paint job. It is the Fluor yellow frame which I think looks better. The rear wheel is pretty close when the shock is fully compressed but not touching. My shock is a 51mm and it also has ~2mm of bumper travel at the end travel with ~49mm of free travel.
    Ps the beeline tyre is a swine to get off the rim (so much so that I failed to get the tyre off after a puncture out in the trail). The WTB rim has 2channels inside the rim which lock the tyre in place which means a great seal but you can’t get a tyre lever in there!

scottlarock
    Free Member

I have gone for a refund, the new frame was doing the exact same thing or tyre touching frame when shock deflated. The store said they would put the bike on sale as ex demo! Just don’t know what to say.. Was another poor mug in shop picking faulty version up when I returned mine, GO Outdoors seem to have no real sense of the fact that this issue could be v dangerous and cause an injury..

hedgetrimmer
    Free Member

Hi All,

Found this posting due to noticing my tire touching the frame when air out of shock! Mine is a Large frame and still has the problem like the Medium frame. With my weight on the bike the wheel locks out! I put the Gorilla guard on, this helps with some less binding if the inevitable happens on a ride.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/82xm8u7vl7plm60/IMG_20170114_153609.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/sswgdt6fhmfk0r5/IMG_20170114_153830.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/zyorm3x13wtgyar/IMG_20170114_153837.jpg?dl=0

Going to contact the supplier.

prawny

Welcome to the club 🙁

Still waiting and thinking here 6 months on.

hedgetrimmer
    Free Member

Since my last post 2 weeks ago, I contacted Mike Sanderson via email to say, I have the same issue, and copied him in on my photos, I had a very quick response from him, he said to let him know when I was taking my bike into Go-Outdoors, so that he could give them the heads up I was bringing my bike in.

Mike explained that there are two options for a fix, 1) A tyre that measures lower on the profile, and 2)the new offset boss as discussed on here. As it turned out taking the bike would have been difficult for me due to time constraints, I mentioned this to Mike, so he sent the boss to me for me to fit myself.

Today I had time to fit the offset boss, you can see the offset quite clearly just looking at it, once it was installed there is around a 2mm clearance from the frame, when all the air is out of the shock, not easy to see in the picture attached, but it is there.(Still have Gorilla guard on)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zbz0u01hys21gh0/IMG_20170203_154044.jpg?dl=0

I have peace of mind now, knowing there is less chance of the tyre binding if the shock did ever give up, my rides are not so full on with big air, so there should not be an issue for me, I did buy the bike for trail riding as it was designed for, but happily do all the runs in the FOD.

Having used Cube hard tails before going full sus, this Bossnut, has made it a much more comfortable ride and a lot faster for me, and at a very low price compared to the other brands, I enjoy it and don’t see a need for anything else, that is until I wear it out.

So thanks Mike for your speedy support, makes a nice change having someone actually care about the customer for once.

P.S If you don’t have the correct tools, I don’t recommend you changing out the offset boss yourselves, as they need to be pressed out and back in with 100% alignment.

prawny

Went out on the Bossnut again at the weekend, fantastic bike to ride.

But. I’ve just noticed that the shock on the current one (no 3) is sat in the sag markers with the shock pumped up. I’m losing heart now, combined with the fact that my dropper is also giving me grief I’m tempted to send the lot back and get something else.

steedwards1985
    Free Member

Hi all, I had the same problem with my bossnut after reading these posts i thought instead of messing around ill just email mike direct. I got a response the next morning. He told me that it was an issue with the beeline tyre being to tall. Sent me out a new one within 24hrs, I got it fitted on the bike and problem solved. From first email on Sunday to being fixed was less that 72hrs. Cant knock that for customer service. Not only that the bike is amazing for the price as well. Back out there this weekend to smash the trails with confidence in my bike! p.s the tyre is now a 2.25 nobby nic

nairnster
    Free Member

Lol. I wouldnt be accepting that explanation given all the other posts in this thread.

If i was an owner i would have my money back. Unfit for purpose.

deviant
    Free Member

Unfit for purpose?…..what purpose would that be then? There was a Bossnutt going great guns at Antur yesterday embarrassing many so called boutique brands….even looked good too!

nairnster
    Free Member

Have you read the thread?

deviant
    Free Member

Yeah, because none of the major players have ever had any QC issues have they cough (Evil) cough…..

mm93
    Free Member

I’d be happy enough- as long as the tyre doesn’t touch the frame then it’s problem sorted isn’t it?Tyre choice is obviously going to be limited but if he’s happy with the Nobby Nic then why return the bike,? there’s not much else that competes for £899 is there?

prawny

I wouldn’t go for a different tyre tbh, good to hear the nobby nic fits though, but I don’t want to be limited to a tiny tyre forever.

Not long now til my updated one comes out hopefully. I cannae wait. Roll on summer.

nairnster
    Free Member

Exactly. They specced the bike with a tyre that stops it working properly, or is it the shock, or the shock mounts, i have lost track of all their explanations.

But if it doesnt work properly with the parts they specced, then to me that is the definition of not fit for purpose. It should be able to get full travel.

As for the price, and other companies having issues, that makes no difference.

It wasn’t 899 pound or whatever, advertised as not being able to get full travel and needing a different tyre was it.

deviant
    Free Member

It was 5k and had these problems people would be making excuses about ‘character’…..

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

nairnster – Member
    Exactly. They specced the bike with a tyre that stops it working properly, or is it the shock, or the shock mounts, i have lost track of all their explanations.

But they have rectified the problem . I’m sure that they don’t guarantee that the bike will take 2.5 tyres and if it had come fitted with the Nobby Nicks there would have been no problem so what is there to complain about . Not a lot of tyre clearance on most of the Whyte range but they seem to be flavour of the month with the mags for the last few years .

prawny

This is what I noticed mid week

God knows what’s up with this, whether it’s the frame or the shock causing this. I rode it last weekend and didn’t bottom it out (I’m running a bit more air in it than I’d like though until the clearance is sorted) I assume I’m not getting full travel though.

I do love it, would I miss the squish if I went back to a hardtail to remove the extra hassle from my life?

nairnster
    Free Member

People have had the rubbing with the stock wtb beeline tyre. So that’s the issue.

If you buy something new, as standard, it should work properly.

nairnster
    Free Member

That’s a build up of pressure in the negative chamber.

prawny

An easy fix?

Edit – makes sense actually, it wouldn’t extend when there was no air in it. I’ll have a google. Still fairly new to the full suss thing.

barrybarry85
    Free Member

Have a look at my earlier post prawny. I had my rear shock go completly. When I took the shock off it wouldn’t extend at all when all air was released. This also highlighted that the large frames also had an issue with tyre rub. Inverness store replaced bike with the new style paintwork on the spot. I kept my rims as they were converted to tubeless.

Looking forward to the better weather so I can get out on it!

prawny

Before I start another what bike thread, I’ll ask on here.

There’s 10% off the Sonder transmitters and the Boardman Team FS at the moment putting them at the same price as the Bossnut.

I’m really tempted to sack off the short full suss experiment and go half fat, after deciding against a fatty a few weeks ago. Any thoughts?

Part of me wants to keep the Bossnut but I’m concerned about the cost of any future shock/frame issues when the warranty is up, also is be able to use a water bottle again which would be nice.

chrispianlee
    Free Member

Im selling my mint condition 2017 medium bossnut frame only ridden on road twice if anyones interested. Its a replacement frame with the correct bush/rear shock mounting. Im selling as bought a hard tail frame and put all components off bossnut on it.
    Im also selling the 130mm (5.1in) travel RockShox Monarch R rear shock (190mm 51) also. Call me and make me a sensible offer if interested 07971329827

chrispianlee
    Free Member

Bike and shocks sold now….

dmorts

prawny – An easy fix?

As you pump the shock up, stop occasionally then compress and depress it to balance out the air chambers. Nothing to do with the bike, just user error* with the shock.

Rs Monarchs are pretty bombproof so I wouldn’t worry about future problems

*although it’s not obvious till you know 🙂

bjellys
    Free Member

I have found an even worse problem on mine and that is both wheel rims are cracked right across the rim where they have been welded in manufacture.
    I have only ridden the bike 6 times and I decided to go tubeless as the wheels were tubeless ready.I set about doing the front wheel first put Stans tape on it a new tubeless valve fluid sealant in pumped it up and the air came out almost as fast as it went in.on checking i found the rim to be cracked at a right angle across the rim and on checking the rear wheel that is cracked in exactly the same place as the front.
    My main worry is that I would still be riding it if I hadn’t taken the tube out and that the problem had not come to light.I am thinking should I have had some heavy impact, it is possible the wheel could collapse with catastrophic results.
    After all this I still love the bike it is great value for money but the safety side of it now makes me a bit uneasy.
    I think perhaps any 2016/2017 Bossnut owners to check their rims ( if you use your fingernail on the edge of the rim you will feel the crack which travels across to the other side.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Are you sure it’s a weld that cracked many cheap rims are not welded on the join only pinned on the inside of the extrusion.

And on a double wall rim of the tapes on properly air should not find its way into the cavity anyway

dmorts

i found the rim to be cracked at a right angle across the rim and on checking the rear wheel that is cracked in exactly the same place as the front.

Unless you can see daylight through this “crack”, it’s not an issue. All you’ve found is the joint on the rims.

If the tyres are slack on the rims, try another layer of tape. If they’re already a tight fit, you might need more sealant, or to use a compressor or Airshot type device to get the tyres to pop on

prawny

They’re i23 rims, I don’t think they’re welded whack some tape and sealant in and they should seal up with a bit of effort

d3ftone
    Free Member

What’s the tune of the monarch that comes stock on the bike?
    Also, do you think there’s enough space for a 150mm dropper post on the 19.5in? (I’m about 6’1″)

Thanks

prawny

Not sure on the shock tune, but it’s fairly slow. All the reviews recommend running everything open, not sure about compression at the bottom end as I had to run it slightly harder than I’d like to keep the wheel off the frame.

495mm seat tube would put paid to a 150mm dropper I’d have thought. Unless you’ve got loooong legs, I’m 5’10.5 (.5 is important) and I don’t know if I’d have been able to get 125mm on. Not too many options with external routing either are there?

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 234 total)

The topic ‘Calibre Bossnut – Potential problem’ is closed to new replies.