Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 234 total)
  • Calibre Bossnut – Potential problem
  • matt_outandabout

Sounds like they are dealing with it well.

andyl
    Free Member

needs some careful hammering to adjust the seat tube 😀

chestrockwell

What Mountain Bike have one with the same issue. They suggest running a smaller tyre which seems an odd response coming from a mag.

bikeneil
    Free Member

1) Send it back.
    2) Go to a good LBS.
    3) Buy a bike from a proper bike company.

carlosg
    Free Member

Yeah its no good if it’s not from a ‘proper’ bike company , which would be why MBR (other bike mags are available) voted it their ‘bike of the year 2015’

OP glad that Go Outdoors are trying to sort things out for you ,if you ever decide to get something a bit flashier please don’t become a bike snob!

bikeneil
    Free Member

which would be why MBR (other bike mags are available) voted it their ‘bike of the year 2015’

Oh yeah. I doubt that would have anything to do with money… Buying a ‘proper’ bike doesn’t mean being a snob.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Bikes from “proper bike companies” have issues too. A lot of which would need even a “good LBS” to send the bike back to the distributor.

So I’d say that Go Outdoors are acting in an appropriate manner and trying to sort the issue.

I’ve had a few warranty issues with stuff bought from “good LBS” and they’ve all had to send stuff back to source to enact a warranty claim. So I don’t get the negativity on Go Outdoors/Calibre Bossnut.

baldiebenty
    Free Member

Any progress on the frame? Found a new problem with mine, the suspension pin had loosened off a bit. So I tried to tighten it up. First problem, I couldn’t get at the other side and had to drop off the inner chain ring to get access, then as I’m tightening it the chain ring side snapped clean off. Now I’ve gotta wait for a new one to come in

prawny

Sorry, missed the updates on this.

The replacement frame had the same problem, they think it’s a batch issue on the last container load of mediums or so. They’ve given me mine back to ride, (running a bit more air than I’d like) while they wait for the next batch to come over. When that gets here they’ll be swapping all of my bits onto a complete fresh bike, which is nice.

Baldiebenty, I’ll keep a check on mine, cheers for the heads up.

As for people saying send it back and get a proper bike, there’s some nice second hand Evils on Facebook for 3 times what the bossnut cost, do you think that would be worth a look 😉

baldiebenty
    Free Member

Lol I’m loving mine, I’ve been hammering the freeminers and verderers trails in the FoD and more recently Twrch in Cwmcarn and I’m 85kg so can’t really complain about the suspension working a bit loose after 2 or 3 rides a week for a month. Just annoying they didn’t have the part in stock.

steve_b77
    Free Member

To be fair, working loose after 12 rides is shit, irrespective of weight.

baldiebenty
    Free Member

Yeah, maybe. I’d expect to be checking that stuff every month or so anyway. The lack of loctite explains why it came loose. Now rectified with an Allen bolt I had lying around 2 penny washers and this time, some loctite.
    Twrch here I come on Tuesday 😀

flashpaul
    Free Member

Had a few issues with mine

Taking the tyres off is a nightmare, snapped a few plastic tyre levers already and the rim tape is rubbish
    Bit of play in the front hub ,took it back to be looked at as my cone spanners were too small, took a week to resolve as they couldn’t obtain the right size spanner and I ended up with a new wheel

Any new tyre recommendations that go on easily?

baldiebenty
    Free Member

I’ve had the rear off a few times having had multiple punctures and now gone tubeless, it was a bitch to remove until I realised it made it easier to push one side completely off the bead using my fingers and thumbs before using the levers. Rim tape is now lying in the middle of my garage and I used gorilla tape instead.
    Still on the original tyres though.

prawny

Yeah, tyres are fine as long as you push the beads into the well in the middle before you try and get them off.

I went tubeless on mine too, was surprisingly easy. No issues with the hubs yet, but I’ve done less than 100 miles on it so far so there’s still time 😆

baldiebenty
    Free Member

Yeah, it is my first try with tubeless and wasnt too bad, gorilla tape, sealant, tubeless valve, a track pump, some sweating and some swearing and job done.

prawny

I managed the back without sealant with sweating and swearing but with valves cut out of old tubes. When i dismounted to put the sealant in they wouldn’t go back up.

I make a coke bottle inflator, and did a realyy crappy job of it, it leaks terribly above 30 psi and scares the life out of me. Works a treat though 8)

Northwind

steve_b77 – Member

To be fair, working loose after 12 rides is shit, irrespective of weight.

Not really, it’s standard practice to do a nuts-and-bolts-check after a few rides, it’s one of hte reasons most shops offer a service soon after purchase. As long as it doesn’t keep happening, Mondraker style, it shouldn’t be a problem.

baldiebenty
    Free Member

That’s why I was checking it over, figured a month was long enough for things to work loose if they were going to.

Will be checking after every ride now with my slightly “ghetto” fix in place until the proper part comes in.

jbridges
    Free Member

Hi mate, how did this get resolved in the end? Facing the same issue. I’ve emailed with no response and taken it into a store who are convinced it just needs more pressure in the shock. Surely the wheel shouldn’t be touching the frame under any circumstances.

prawny

I’m still waiting for my second replacement frame, need to call them this week because it’s been over a month now. I had nothing from emails it was only when I resorted to Twitter they did something. I’d suggest that.

jbridges
    Free Member

Luckily I tried a different shop where the guy seemed to have an idea on what he was talking about. Said he would be emailing Mike Sanderson which is reassuring. The service in the first shop was shocking I was sent away with over 200psi in the rear shock even though I only weigh around 60kg and was told I shouldn’t be using more that 30% of the shock anyway.

scottlarock
    Free Member

I have the same issue with medium bossnut, ie rear suspension fully deflated makes the rear whee touch the frame. So far I have sent pics etc and go outdoors are insisting on me taking to shop at which I bought it. I have spoken to the bike section manager at the store I bought the bike from and he said what is the problem, the shock will never lose air pressure. Does anyone have a more direct contact up the chain of command ie the designers or the head of there cycling department. Feel it is going to be a mission with GO as they don’t seem to know their own products..

prawny

It seems to be there’s a bad batch going round.

It’s a bit slack if they’re just going to fob us all off. I need to chase them up as I’ve heard nothing since they sent me away with a replacement (but still faulty) frame.

They put over 200PSI in my rear shock too, thinking that would sort it, but if I didn’t want suspension I’d have stuck with my hard tail.

It’s a shame, because it’s a great bike otherwise.

I think we’ll have to either all group together and do something (anyone a lawyer?) or take to twitter and get the mags involved.

Are all of the ones with problems medium?

prawny

Just had a snotty tweet from Gooutdoors, oopsie! 😳

prawny

bikeneil – Member
    1) Send it back.
    2) Go to a good LBS.
    3) Buy a bike from a proper bike company.

At the time this riled me, because apart from this issue the bike is great. But, service is lacking, I’m more than a bit tempted to bin the frame and replace it with something proper, I just can’t afford it at the moment.

taxi25
    Free Member

Take the bike back to the store and ask for a refund. If you don’t want to put a 26″ wheel in there (it’ll ride fine), cheaper than a new frame.

coppice
    Free Member

Personally I think you’ve been fobbed off. I don’t think its a bad batch I think its been overlooked at the design stage. I can’t see them re-designing/scrapping linkages/frames so all they’ll do is fit a shorter stroke shock.

It wouldn’t bother me to ride it as they’re being sold. If your concerned fit a volume reducer so its a bit harder to bottom out. Eccentric shock bushes may also be enough to stop the tyre hitting the frame.

prawny

Potentially, but I can’t find any mention of an issue anywhere until I had mine (which was from a new freshly delivered batch) and now there’s a few cropping up. The bike has been available for a year or two now as well.

He large is fine too, don’t know about the small, I’m not sure anyone has ever bought one.

I’m still riding it, and if I knew one way or another I’d be happy enough but I’ve not bothered protecting this frame from cable run because they said I’d get a new one “soon”. I’m not forking out for bushes or a volume spacer though, sod that. I bought a cheap bike because I’m poor, not because I wanted a project 😆

mrbotticelli

Might be worth replying to their tweet of the MBR Review on their official Twitter feed.

prawny

I’ve just had an email from Mike Sanderson himself, I will update with the outcome. I’ve let him know that I’m not alone with the problem anyway.

jbridges
    Free Member

It seems to be there’s a bad batch going round.

It’s a bit slack if they’re just going to fob us all off. I need to chase them up as I’ve heard nothing since they sent me away with a replacement (but still faulty) frame.

They put over 200PSI in my rear shock too, thinking that would sort it, but if I didn’t want suspension I’d have stuck with my hard tail.

It’s a shame, because it’s a great bike otherwise.

I think we’ll have to either all group together and do something (anyone a lawyer?) or take to twitter and get the mags involved.

Are all of the ones with problems medium?

Yeah mine is also a medium. The service seems quite poor over all if they are telling customers the rear shock should never be fully compressed anyway. Luckily the second shop I went to was very helpful and also emailed Mike Sanderson so they should know that this isn’t a one off issue.

prawny

According to my new best mate Mike it’s affected 1 in 10-15 frames. Still ongoing will let you know the outcome tomorrow (hopefully)

prawny

Righto, I’ve spoken to Mike, he’s aware of the problem and the cause and he’s adamant that it’s now fixed. My new frame will be air freighted and he’s going to get back in touch with me when it arrives.

For anyone else, he’s saying the shops should be aware by now, and if they’re not don’t let them fob you off.

Shame it’s taken so long to get anywhere, but they seem to be sorting it, I’ll update when the replacement comes in.

jbridges
    Free Member

Sounds promising, hopefully it’ll be sorted now. Will be taking mine back in over the weekend

scottlarock
    Free Member

Same email from Mike Sanderson, ie new frame winging its way to Chatham go outdoors, actioned from an email I sent to Mbr mag, will report back on here what outcome is..

Goldigger
    Free Member

I saw a father and son with one of these bikes each at FOD on the BH weekend.
    One of the bikes front shock lost all its air..which was fixed.

Riding around the trail the rear shock on the same bike lost all its air, and wouldn’t inflate.

Shocking 😀

dmorts

I saw a father and son with one of these bikes each at FOD on the BH weekend.
    One of the bikes front shock lost all its air..which was fixed.

Riding around the trail the rear shock on the same bike lost all its air, and wouldn’t inflate.

To be fair, they’re faults with Rockshox products so could happen to any bike with the same

prawny

Yeah I had the seals blow out of a recon fork on a brand new Rockrider a few years ago. And I’ve heard people having the same issues with Revs too.

sam1newbold
    Free Member

Hi prawny

Did you get this resolved? I’ve got the same issue and struggling to get it sorted.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 234 total)

The topic ‘Calibre Bossnut – Potential problem’ is closed to new replies.