Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Calgary, Canada and emigrating, advice please
  • iain1775
    Free Member

I’ve been headhunted for a job in Calgary, Canada
    It’s all moved a bit fast yesterday I knew nothing of it, had an approch via LinkedIn, did a bit of research on the compNy, just enough to establish it was genuine and fired off my CV this morning
    Just been asked availability for a phone interview
    This time on Monday I had no plans to relocate, it’s something I’ve always wanted to do and the company work for now would have opportunities in Australia, new Zealand, hong kong and possibly Canada if I wanted, but with a young family and a wife pretty attached to her parents I didn’t think it an option at the moment
    However this ha changed things I’m considering it more seriously
    Anyone know Calgary whys it like a place?
    Is Canada an expensive place in general what sort of mark up on current salary should I be looking for?
    Anyone had a similar situation and what hVe you done?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Canada is better than here, just go.

Wish I could.

wrecker
    Free Member

FFS man, tear their **** arm off!
    Even if you’re not keen on Calgary, get your residence and move to BC in a while.
    I’m going to have to try this linked in.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Do it but do not burn your bridges here – don’t sell your house for example until you are sure.

I know a number of people who have emigrated including a couple who recently went to Canada. They are back home here now very disillusioned with canada

so go – but leave yourself an escape route back here

chewkw
    Free Member

Take the job, build a bigger house and enjoy the new life …

But keep the house here just in case.

deserter
    Free Member

I emmigrated to Calgary, still here what do you want to know?
    I earned £25000 in the UK, Get $83000 cad here
    it will cost at least$300k-$600k for a house depending on where you want to live
    most jobs only give 2 weeks vacation
    its like going back at least 20 years at times
    its very safe with low crime and most people aren’t riff raff
    its extremely dry and sunny all year round, Summers warm and dry{although short} Winters sunny and very cold
    we get disillusioned from time to time but 2 days back in the Uk normally has us desperate to get back and extremely grateful for what we have

just post up any questions you have

muddyfunster
    Free Member

I’ve flown into and spent a small amount of time in Calgary on a few occaisions, like a lot of Canadian cities it’s a pretty vast urban sprawl but not overly populated. Seemed okay but nothing special, however it’s within driving distance of Jasper (and Banff) national parks which are two of the most amazing places on earth. The rockies is right there in your back yard along with tons of incredible places to ride. There are just too many great spots to list.

I f you love mtb and enjoy the outdoors you will love it. Ime people over there have a vastly superior quality of life to us, and are on the whole nicer. It’s also probably a smart place to be as you get all the benefits of the Rockies and BC but you can benefit from Alberta’s oil wealth and slightly more laid back attitudes.

Garry_Lager

I’ve visited Calgary a few times so I’m hardly an expert, but it seems to be a place I could enjoy living, just on the basis of the mountains. They’re about an hour’s drive away IIRC, which is on the doorstep in Canadian terms. Real big mountain country once you’re up there – riding and skiing must be amazing (although I’ve only hiked myself).

The city itself was nothing special tbh, sort of place I’d be happy with now with a family living in a quiet suburb, but pretty unimpressive if I was more into going out. Alberta as a whole has more in common with Texas than British Columbia, say, a lot of redneck attitudes to be found there.

It does have that lonely vibe that a lot of North American cities have, but if you could worked at it with your family and got seriously involved with the outdoors lifestyle it could be great (IMHO).

nicko74

Well worth a look, but Canada is more expensive than the UK, so you’ll be wanting a payrise. Calgary is a good city, apparently – keeps coming near the top of lists of the best places to live in Canada.

But as said above, why would you want to stay in the UK?!

Burts
    Free Member

I’m now in Vancouver after a similar story – settled nicely in the UK, then my wife spots a job advert in an industry magazine and then BOOM! phone interview to confirmed job offer within 10days. That was 5yrs ago and no plans to head back.

As said above, don’t sell the farm and transfer all your assets just yet. The exchange rate UK>CAD$ is terrible (averaging $1.6 per pound for the last year) and Canada has a huge property bubble at the moment, so house prices might tank over the next year or 3. Come over, rent a while, try it out.

Not been to Calgary, but I understand that its about 1.5-2hrs drive to Canmore/Banff. Skiing, biking, hiking, its all there. You’ll love it.

What industry/job are you in? Oil & gas?

JCL
    Free Member

I wouldn’t Calgary is a hole. The winters are epic, no local riding, cultural vacuum etc.

Vancouver is another story but it ain’t all rosy here either. Grass greener blah blah.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

My old work collegue emigrated there with her dour husband. She was a nice girl quite bubbly but was very plain in a librarian kind of way, and her husband made John Major seem exciting. She added me recently on Facebook and is now an absolute fox and mr dour is ripped, they seem to be snowboarding, cycling, paragliding and both look fantastic. She said moving was the best thing they did. I don’t know what’s in the air over there but it has given them both a zest. Sorry that’s not much help but there you go. Good luck.

the_lecht_rocks

i bottled it a few years ago based on the lack of time off available in “vacation” terms.

in addition, the housing prices put me off.

it was oil-sands associated so lucrative financially, but we like our 3 months off each year [self-employed] and travel during our time off..

without doub t, locality to the rockies and canmore was my reason for wanting to go, but the grass isn’t always greener, etc………

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Catflees has made me want to marry a rotter and move to Canada! 🙂

plumber
    Free Member

I lived and worked in Calgary 2008 to 2009 just pver a year

My brother is living there and has been there since 2006

I wouldn’t go back no matter how much you could pay me

Theres good and bad everywhere you could live but for me its a cultural desert and no amount of biking and boarding could make up that particular deficit.

However, I would live in Nelson BC in a heart beat, no work in that area for me though.

Email in profile if you want to know more, if you do decide to go I can tell you a lot of short cuts that will help

Plum

plumber
    Free Member

As a rule, if you are going to earn less than $100k canadian and you have a family I wouldn’t consider it. Its a **** off expensive place to be

d45yth
    Free Member

I would go tomorrow if it wasn’t for the fact that my job would be terrible during the winter! It can be bad enough over here.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

2 weeks annual holiday? Jeepers! I have been a few times I wouldn’t say it’s somewhere I would want to live. It’s like every other big city and it takes forever to get anywhere.

scruff
    Free Member

In Calgary people where Stetsons and there is a bit called Coventry. So its just like Coventry really.

anjs
    Free Member

Will the company sort out the visa?

iain1775
    Free Member

Apparently I would be looking at $100,000 minimum base salary plus car Health benifits pension etc, that’s about 15-20% more than I’m on here (but wife currently works part time too and has just started down a new career route that could go interesting (for her) places and I’m not sure what/if she could work over there -childcare etc needs considering as we have parents on tap here)
    Industry is high voltage power transmission, looking at the company they seem a big regional construction outfit but we have t heard of them in my particular field (they seem to do smaller distribution stuff and I don’t think they are currently a big player out there)
    It sounds like they have big aspirations and I would be potentially at the front line whereas where I am now we are the UK market leader and have guaranteed work for next 5 years in UK (nearly a full order book with loads more in the pipeline) and expanding in australasia and Americas
    My gut feeling is it could be interesting but possibly not the right moment or opportunity and maybe I should wait and see what opportunities arrive at my current place (we have just bid a big job in Alberta ourselves and if we win part of it there could be chance to go over there for 18 months which I could use as a ‘taster’) probably still speak to them though and keep options open, if nothing else it could be a foot in the door for the future
    One thing is certain though, I do want to leave the UK, it’s just convincing the better half….
    (did some research on net last night and it looks like a better place to live than I originally thought)

nicko74

My gut feeling is it could be interesting but possibly not the right moment or opportunity and maybe I should wait and see what opportunities arrive at my current place

Fair enough, and obviously it’s important to make the right choice, not just jump at the first thing that comes along.

Just make sure that you do take *an* opportunity – you don’t want to be regretting this 8 years from now…

The biggest thing for me has been the sun, to be honest. London is grey and depressing about 250 days a year; Ontario seems to be bright sunshine about 250+ days a year, and it really does change your outlook on things!

wrecker
    Free Member

iain1775 – Member

You still here?

sweaman2
    Free Member

I live in Calgary and have since 2009 so any specific questions feel free to message me. I’m in the oil and gas industry (as is almost everyone) so the city right now is booming but if in 2008 it was a scary place to be.

Check your visa situation etc; Canadian goverment do not make it easy to move to Canada. You’ll need a sponsored work permit and make sure they get your spouse an open permit at the same time if at all possible.

Biggest thing I miss is family and that is the only thing that would currently bring me back to the UK. So some quick thoughts:

Deserter is generally accurate.
    I would agree with Plumber around salary.
    If you must ride your bike year round you might be in for a dissappointment. If however you like to ski……
    Winters can be cold – I mean really cold with day time highs of -15 or lower (although this last one was a bit of wimp) but the sun is often shining.
    Calgary is expensive and has a lot of sprawl.
    You will become far too well accuainted with Highway 1 towards Banff / Canmore
    There is some riding in the city but the breadth of choice is less than in the UK. You can’t ride in the National Parks but there are enough trails to keep you entertained. You’re probably not riding year round anyway. There is hiking, skiing, camping etc, etc.
    Health benefits are important and not to be underestimated – the system is a sometimes strange mix of the NHS and America. So drugs in a hospital are free; drugs on prescription have to be paid and claimed from health insurance. You get charged for an ambulance (which can be claimed) but there are no private GP doctors (like for example BUPA) as they must be under Alberta Health. Dentistry is very US style which can be disconcerting.
    There isn’t a lot of culture in Calgary and what there is is surprisingly expensive. Restaurants are a dissappointment in general but when you find a gem that makes it all the better.

RichPenny
    Free Member

If you’ve got a young family and relatives helping out with childcare, it could be a terrible move for your wife. Maybe better to scratch that itch in a few years, when the family is less reliant on relatives and the kids Will be willing participants rather than extra baggage on those outdoor adventures.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Not been to Calgary, but I understand that its about 1.5-2hrs drive to Canmore/Banff. Skiing, biking, hiking, its all there. You’ll love it.

I have. And my sister lives there, moved down to Calgary from Peace River just before Christmas, having lived there or in High Prairie since 1982.
    They had an abnormally warm February this year, she sent me some photos of her & hubbie walking round in shorts & t-shirts. In February, in Calgary!

Canmore is about an hour west, Banff about 20-30 mins further. Jasper is then a good 3 hours further north. Vancouver is 11-12 hours drive further still, I know, I’ve done it. Best way to see the country IMO, except perhaps for the train.

If someone offered it to me, I’d have their arm off!

bloodyshins
    Free Member

I used to live in Banff (an hour West of calgary) and it truly is the best place on earth, if you can put up with it hitting forty below in the winter. Calgary is alright, nice friendly city but pretty charmless I found. All that matters id that you are an hour from the Rocky mountains. Canada is the promised land, just do it man!

Garry_Lager

What are the realities of riding in the Rockies up there near Calgary? You drive up on that highway and think the riding must be off the charts amazing, but is that actually the case? Sweaman mentioned restrictions in national parks for example. Is there loads of accessible singletrack?

jonnyseven

Visited a few times and my brother has lived in Calgary for 15 years or so. Not for me but he loves it. Banff is great but expensive. Vancouver / BC on the other hand I would move to tomorrow. However
    Canadians can be strange!

DT78
    Free Member

Not canada, but was headhunted for a job in Perth late last year, couple of interviews all going well, but wife was not happy, didn’t want to be away from family, so decided not to proceed. One scary thing I found out was if for whatever reason my employer terminated my contract I had something like 2 weeks to leave the country. No idea if it’s the same for canada but that worried me given I was seriously considering moving my entire life half way round the world…

td75
    Free Member

I have lived in Canada since 2006 and have been coast to coast. I’ll just add my 2 cents worth. One thing you have to remember about riding in the back country is the bugs. Mosquitoes and Black fly can get quite annoying even with bug spray protection. Plumber is right, Calgary is an expensive place to live, especially near the Rocky Mountains.

sweaman2
    Free Member

There is plenty of riding to be had but not much near Banff.

The best riding is in Kananakasis which is an area south of Canmore. It is more foothills riding so 500m ascents than alpine monsters. The actual rockies aren’t that good for a couple of reasons. It is actually a bit steep and loose (I also rock climb which is more the sport for the actual rockies) and there aren’t that many trails due to national park restrictions.

K-county as it is known though has plent of riding. Most of it is singletrack or rocky double track. Moose mountain has some quality trails as does Canmore area while the most are more natural. There isn’t a s much variety though as the geology is all the same. Not for example like the white peak compared to dark peak compared to lakes.

It is also true wilderness some of the time. No tea shops, no mobile phones, no roads… Bears are something to keep in mind. I’ve done rides that started an hours drive from calgary where we didn’t see a soul all day and at times were 20km from the nearest road which was then a gravel track. As such hooning is off the menu some of the time. I don’t do much solo or night riding apart from at a couple of well known honeyspots.

So there is riding but it does not compare to the european alps. Mainly because there is no where near as many people.

Further afield in places like fernie or golden there is more gravity based riding and that is more like morzine. My technical skills have come on plenty since I came here mind.

NZCol

Plenty of work in that field in NZ.

grum
    Free Member

Only a brief visit but Calgary has very little charm or character IME. They call it Cowtown but that makes it sound more exciting than the reality. It seemed pretty dead/lifeless on a night out. It is near some stunning places though.

iain1775
    Free Member

I know Col and its my present employer doing most of it hence the second thoughts about jumping to a new place when I have other opportunities if I want (just. Of full relocation so package wouldn’t be anywhere near as good and may. Ot pay for wife and child to go over)

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Calgary, Canada and emigrating, advice please’ is closed to new replies.