Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Calf cramps from bike to run
  • scottfelt
    Free Member

I’ve now done 3 duathlons and each time I have had cramp on my calfs at the start of the run after the cycle. The last time I got cramp on the cycle too. Anyone know why this might be happening? Or how to overcome it?

buck53

[Captain Obvious]
    Are you stretching your calves enough beforehand?
    [/Captain Obvious]

Usual causes are over exertion, dehydration and low electrolytes. If you’re sorted on the last two it could just be that you need some leg/calf specific training/exercises.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Google “brick” training. Also look at your cadance in the last 10 minutes of the bike, there was something thought on matching it to your run cadance. Out and about now so can’t reference it, but again Google Joe Friel for all things tri and training

scottfelt
    Free Member

Thanks, i always stretch and warm up before an event, probably need to start brick training. I do try harder on the bike as I’m not a great runner so this may be the cause. Last time I even stretched before the second run. Could the position of my cleats be a cause?

jono84
    Free Member

long socks …. think there called tri socks ….help with shin splints.an that any how miggt be worth a go

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

I read this earlier (on my phone) and have had a few thoughts since:

Saddle height. If your saddle is too high you’ll in effect be riding on ‘tippy toes’ thus causing your calf to contract.

Shoe fitting. Tight shoes may result in cramps due to circulatory difficulties.

Lack of training/stamina. Self explanatory and already mentioned above.

Lack of hydration/minerals. Already mentioned above.

Final thought…try and match your pace/position/intensity/fuelling in training to what you will do on race day so you experience any difficulties prior to the big day. Also, if changing saddle height, do so by 5mm per week.

lightman
    Free Member

I dont run, but I use Mid Sole Cleats and its something you should consider as it is very beneficial for Triathletes and Duathletes.
    Slowtwitch discussion.
    Joe Friel, super coach.
    Plus there are hundreds of discussions about it if you Google “Mid sole cleat”.

scottfelt
    Free Member

Thanks all, I’m sure I’ll get it sorted now!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Calf cramps from bike to run’ is closed to new replies.