Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Calculating compound interest
  • Jakester
    Free Member

Help a man out, if you will.

I’m currently dealing with an agreement whereby interest on a principal sum is to be charged at 2.5% per month, compounded.

To me, that means that in the first month, one calculates 2.5% of the principal sum; in the second month, one adds that 2.5% from the first month to the principal sum and then calculates 2.5% of the resulting amount; and so forth ad infinitum.

However, I’ve been struggling to come up with an excel formula to do it for me which I freely admit is down to my own ineptitude.

All the online formulas/calculators require an annual interest rate, with interest to be compounded monthly based on that rate. I’ve come up with something like 34% p/a – does that sound right?

I could do it manually but there are several years’ worth of payments to calculate across a number of different principal sums, so automation would be preferred…

IHN

The formula you want is:

Amount outstanding = Principal x (1.025 ^ the number of months)

where ^ = ‘to the power of’

**edit – assumes the money is not being paid back at all in that time period

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Long column, fill down. each cell = 102.5% of the one above it?
    There may be a better way, I’m pretty sure there’s a formula.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jimdubleyou
    twicewithchips
    Free Member

as I suspected 🙂
    do it their way, especially now I’ve read the last bit of your post properly!

martinhutch

http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/apr-rate-converter.php

goes in both directions. Your 34ish% is about right.

Jakester
    Free Member

Perfect, thank you all.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Calculating compound interest’ is closed to new replies.