Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 560 total)
  • Calais Migrant camp- a conversation
  • gordimhor

chewkw “There are simply not enough jobs to go around and you are talking about small population?”
    No I asked how you believe having a working age population too small to pay for your pension is a “utopia” your wording not mine.

“By the way when you retire you are obsolete” again I am quoting you from your earlier post Chewkw I disagree with your statement.

And then “Are you saying that old people have voted wrongly because they have decided to vote for party that they see fit?”
    No I was saying
    “Secondly who assumes that older people are a minority,and that they’re “obsolete“ They often have a strong influence on UK politics as they are most likely to vote “
    Then Chewkw you posted this
    “By your assumption old people are the majority voters hence they naturally gravitate towards voting against immigrants because they are most likely to vote and you feel that they are unjust “

I made no assumption about old people. I said that they are not a minority as the UK has an ageing population they make up a large and growing sector of the population, this doesn’t mean that they are the majority either. As surveys have indicated that older people have historically been more likely to vote than other age groups they have therefore been targeted by political parties at election time giving perhaps greater influence than you might expect on a per centage of the population basis. I don’t see old people as one homogenous group and I made no assumption at all about how they vote. So this garbage is all your own work
    ” they naturally gravitate towards voting against immigrants “

Lets be clear that is your “assumption ” Chewkw not mine! Nor did I make comment on whether or not “they” the old people were “unjust” so again all your own work Chewkw . Not what I said at all. So I notice that at the end of all your assumptions you couldn’t answer my question.

moose
    Free Member

With all the good will in the world we (Europe) could very well balls this up. Technically speaking, we already have with ridiculous intervention and inaction. Currently trying to light a match in a hurricane.

These refugees need immediate help and support, but there has to be a long term solution, somehow we have to create a vacuum that will allow these people to go home and salvage their lives.

My worry would be Europe being dragged into a ground campaign to fix Daesh, and subsequently move them onto less fronts. To do so would undoubtedly cause more civilian deaths and leave any military force facing the same reprisals it has before.

People, left, right and those sat on the fence need to be very clear that the only way to restore order is military action. That involves deaths, lots of deaths, and civilians will be the largest proportion. Are people actually ready for that again?

Because in some parts we caused it, in others we’ve ignored it, we now have a huge humanitarian issue that could very well turn into a security issue if it isn’t managed correctly. The reason I say this is not because of what some EDL/BF loon is spouting, but because using my experience and knowledge from my job, it’s what I’d do.

So, I will repeat, we could balls this up because there’s a strong likelihood it will be done half arsed, and without a clear and coherent goal (Iraq/Afghanistan)and that saddens me to the core. 🙁

chewkw
    Free Member

Bloody Saturday telly … now back to STW coz many people are wrong … 😈

gordimhor – Member
    No I asked how you believe having a working age population too small to pay for your pension is a “utopia” your wording not mine.

The assumption is that to sustain pension you need more migrant workers if I read you correctly or if I read the previous thread correctly whatever, now my question is that why do you need more foreign workers to sustain pension when there is still unemployment in current population? Can’t you get current population to fill the gaps? Utopia in the sense that things will work out fine if there is a sudden influx of immigrants to boost economy hence pension … well there is something fishy there if I may say so.

You might have a pension but I only started mine two years ago not because I wanted one but for whatever reason I was told it was compulsory. But up until then I having been saving for the future so what is all this scare about not having enough pension to live on? Makes no sense to me …

I made no assumption about old people. I said that they are not a minority as the UK has an ageing population they make up a large and growing sector of the population, this doesn’t mean that they are the majority either. As surveys have indicated that older people have historically been more likely to vote than other age groups they have therefore been targeted by political parties at election time giving perhaps greater influence than you might expect on a per centage of the population basis. I don’t see old people as one homogenous group and I made no assumption at all about how they vote. So this garbage is all your own work

The previous post started talking or seem to imply that older voters tends to hold firm to the out dated “ideology” or assumption about mass immigration negatively etc (the topic was about the current situation)… when you joined in I assumed you were heading in the similar direction, otherwise what is the point of associating old voters in this thread, (the general assumption is that they older voters tend to vote Tories) whether they are majority or minority or more likely to vote or targeted more by politicians, if they do not impact on voting pattern?

Also what planet are you on when you talked about politicians targeting older voters because they are more likely to vote? Are you saying there is a segment of the society not target by election campaign? Are you saying young people are not targeted by election campaign/politicians? By applying the phrase of younger generation … OMG! (O me goat!) 😯

So what are you saying exactly? Who vote for what? Explain … 🙄

Lets be clear that is your “assumption ” Chewkw not mine! Nor did I make comment on whether or not “they” the old people were “unjust” so again all your own work Chewkw . Not what I said at all. So I notice that at the end of all your assumptions you couldn’t answer my question.

You have the answers? 😯 In other words are you implying that you have all the answers? 😮

Let’s try it another way by considering ALL my assumptions as illogical … which naturally mean that you are the logical one with all correct answers so let’s hear them …

Over to you. 😆

moose – Member

With all the good will in the world we (Europe) could very well balls this up. Technically speaking, we already have with ridiculous intervention and inaction. Currently trying to light a match in a hurricane.

It is what it is … humanity never learns and only if each of us start to restraint ourselves in all forms (especially greed) there shall be hope, otherwise the cycle of doom continues. 🙂

My worry would be Europe being dragged into a ground campaign to fix Daesh, and subsequently move them onto less fronts. To do so would undoubtedly cause more civilian deaths and leave any military force facing the same reprisals it has before.

That’s inevitable coz the answer is not if or but when and how much pain we will endure before a short period of peace …

People, left, right and those sat on the fence need to be very clear that the only way to restore order is military action. That involves deaths, lots of deaths, and civilians will be the largest proportion. Are people actually ready for that again?

I am but others I am not so sure.

chewkw
    Free Member

Because in some parts we caused it, in others we’ve ignored it, we now have a huge humanitarian issue that could very well turn into a security issue if it isn’t managed correctly. The reason I say this is not because of what some EDL/BF loon is spouting, but because using my experience and knowledge from my job, it’s what I’d do.

Judging from our previous exchange you demonstrated your ability to reason without jumping into “my Daewoo K-20 is bigger than yours” mentality, or my god demand me to strike you down coz you don’t believe in him.

So, I will repeat, we could balls this up because there’s a strong likelihood it will be done half arsed, and without a clear and coherent goal (Iraq/Afghanistan)and that saddens me to the core.

Ya, is happening already so it’s about damage limitation now. The reason is simply the half arsed politicians do not know how to do the right thing, yet they are very good in creating the right image for themselves.

😮

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

So the strategy is to round them up and put-em in camps close to the Atlantic ports, sort of circle of karma, America loves it immigrants right? make sure the x-ray scanners are broke 😉 classic Euro shuffle tactic! (do we even export anything to the states cucumber sandwiches or something) we have an advantage as an island, oh some might want to stay though, oh and it’s tougher to dump them back once here, well ok any port then, solved boooooom 8)

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I didn’t say anything about a bloomin’ pension either.

gordimhor

@chewkw The place to discuss pensions in depth is on another thread but broadly people have paid into compulsory pensions but the money was spent on various government projects the intention some decades ago was to fund these pensions from general taxation at the time they were needed However now that the older population has grown and the working age population shrunk in per centage terms there isn’t sufficient money in the system to pay people the pensions they were promised even with full employment.So there’s a need for growth in the economy and over a much longer term a need for population growth as well. As for your savings well good luck with that. In general I think it would be better if you responded to what people actually post rather than your assumptions. Now to get back on topic.

gordimhor
    moose
    Free Member

gordimhor
    we have room

Very accurate. Especially the bit about profit.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I can’t believe that this thread, which was dealing with a serious subject, has deteriorated into one where people are actually engaging in pointless discussion with Chewwy. What’s that all about ?

fin25
    Free Member

I think it’s answered the op’s question though. If I went to Calais, I would show them this thread and explain that British people appear to be obsessed by money and statistics and are all pretty angry, despite not having much really to worry about…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

British people appear to be obsessed by money

In the case of Chewwy he’s an economic migrant so there’s a fair chance that he was obsessed by money before becoming a naturalised Brit.

outofbreath
    Free Member

We have room? How much room? How many of the worlds desperately needy do we have room for?

trek77
    Free Member

Are there any links to any backstory on the poor boys family. ( in the now infamous Photo)
    Some newspaper forum posts seem to suggest the father had housing and a job in turkey.
    That would but a slightly different slant on the specific case. Obviously the global issue is still shocking.

gordimhor
    badnewz
    Free Member

The West is partly responsible for this mess, in particular:
    – invading Iraq
    – overthrowing Gaddafi
    – supporting the “Freedom Fighters” in Syria, who in reality were radical Islamists hellbent on destruction

The average man in the street would conclude from this: the Middle East is better off if the West keeps out of its affairs.

Our politicians are now using the current crisis as an excuse to yet again intervene.

chewkw
    Free Member

gordimhor – Member
    In general I think it would be better if you responded to what people actually post rather than your assumptions. Now to get back on topic

I did answer albeit with no reference to of statistics whatever. Just my views. Put it this way some of the points present bear little logic at all …
    Let me summaries:

1. If they want to seek asylum then queue up and be processed. i.e. separate the real ones from the fake ones.
    2. How many UK want to take is entirely up to UK. 1k, 2k, 3K … no idea what so ever.
    3. We do not need the German, who started two WW, to tell how to do things. Cameroon grow your some balls please.
    4. Who is going to pay for them? Don’t know?
    5. How long are they going to stay? Don’t Know?
    6. Who should look after them? Don’t know? You want to pass the bucket?
    7. Forget about who started the war etc … that’s over coz there will be many wars coming.
    8. Since Scotland and Wales are rather “empty” can we relocate majority of them there?

Since we are in democracy do people have a say or we have to bend our back because someone says we should take them?

I remember we are democracy so isn’t that based on majority rules?
    Why do you insist on telling people what to do?
    Have a vote to see how many people want them?

ernie_lynch – Member

British people appear to be obsessed by money

In the case of Chewwy he’s an economic migrant …[/quote]

Aren’t we all?
    So you want to compare money? Really! I mean really! I don’t even know where to start … oh well just read the history of empire and all that … 😯

badnewz – Member

The West is partly responsible for this mess, in particular:
    – invading Iraq
    – overthrowing Gaddafi
    – supporting the “Freedom Fighters” in Syria, who in reality were radical Islamists hellbent on destruction

Yes, we are partly to blame but then they worsen the situation themselves because of the nature of who they are. Yes, the nature of who they are! They need a strongman male to hold things together. NOT female.

I have always maintained that the Dear Leaders should be left alone to rule as they like and contain their own population… but oh no … the bleeding lefties want to call for freedom and human rights (sinister intention is to overthrown govt) and being nosey in others affairs. Then the govt/whoever heard them (calling to arm this and that) and started supplying arms to anyone who opposed the Dear Leaders …

You want to blame someone? You can blame the lefties for calling for freedom whatever rubbish they are selling nowadays …

I bet you they (lefties) are still calling the fall of Assad. I just hope Assad stays and remains in power with backing from Russia …

America leave Assad alone as you need him!

chewkw
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member
    I can’t believe that this thread, which was dealing with a serious subject, has deteriorated into one where people are actually engaging in pointless discussion with Chewwy. What’s that all about ?

Very simple because I make sense to some except you and your die hard possy. 🙄

Junkyard
    Free Member

the migrants themselves are from many different countries and cultures

What are these diverse cultures within the Jewish diaspora?

THIS
    Its almost always contradictory and gibberish
    See points 3 and 7 up there

chewkw
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus
    THIS
    Its almost always contradictory and gibberish
    See points 3 and 7 up there

😆 Ya, I know it sounds contradictory … point 7 is actually referring to current affairs not the past (WWII etc) so should have made that clear. Or are you referring to Cameroon? Hmmmm … very sneaky that.

I have to type/response quickly because someone was wrong on the interweb.

p/s: The media is really going hysterical about the situation so in the name of Michael Winner … “Calm down dear! Calm down!”.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I see that the BNP thought now was a good time to stage a demonstration outside the Home Office Immigration Centre in Croydon :

http://www.bnp.org.uk/news/regional/demonstration-outside-lunar-house-immigration-centre

“Croydon and Sutton branch of British National party will be holding a demo outside Lunar house immigration centre on Saturday the 5th of September.

Please meet outside East Croydon railway station at 11.45 am, please bring flags and banners”.

Reports claim that this wasn’t exactly a massive demonstration with an estimated 15 BNP white supremacists turning up.

Unfortunately for the BNP the counter anti-fascist demonstration which was organised at the last minute (I was informed by email 4 days earlier but couldn’t make it as I was on day 2 of the SDW) attracted 10 times that number.

The BNP tried to hold a rally and the amount of people who turned up is utterly hilarious

Police keeping the 2 sides apart :

allthepies
    Free Member

I think I’ve been to a meeting inside Lunar House before 🙂

</trufact>

DrJ

Its almost always contradictory

Is it? I admire your fortitude that you read enough to form an opinion. I gave up long ago because it’s

gibberish

Edukator
    Free Member

How many refugees/migrants have been welcomed into the homes of STWers so far?

DrJ

I’m guessing none. How would you even have gone about doing that?

chewkw
    Free Member

DrJ – Member

Its almost always contradictory

Is it? I admire your fortitude that you read enough to form an opinion. I gave up long ago because it’s

gibberish

[/quote]

😆 Of course it is, of course it is …

My gut instinct keep telling me something is wrong with some of the arguments and with so much inconsistency it’s rather difficult to pinpoint … oh well … it’s still interesting to know of other views. Interesting.

DrJ – Member

I’m guessing none. How would you even have gone about doing that? [/quote]

😆 I bet you are going to blame others now aren’t you? Ya, I know …

DrJ

I bet you are going to blame others now aren’t you? Ya, I know …

gibberish

chewkw
    Free Member

DrJ – Member

I bet you are going to blame others now aren’t you? Ya, I know …

gibberish

[/quote]

Oh c’mon! (said Klaus the fish 😆 )

Edukator
    Free Member

A number of possibilities DrJ.

Invite someone on the street directly into your home. People are doing this in France entirely at their own expense.

If you have property to let or a second home rent it directly to the refugees if they can pay or one of the associations/charities that help them. I rented a flat to a guy from Côte d’Ivoire during the civil war. The problem was he spent the money he got in France helping out his family in Côte d’Ivoire so got somewhat behind with the rent. Thankfully he moved on of his own accord when a year in arrears with the rent. Depending on your contributions to this thread you’ll either consider me evil for aiding an immigrant and a fool for renting out to someone likely not to pay, or congratulate me on giving him a home rent free.

Contribute to one of the charities that help/house refugees. The odds of the money reaching them is fairly low though (admin costs, salaries and overpaid managers and directors) so it’s probably better to just give a £20 note to anyone who looks needy or invite them for dinner. Edit: I used to give to one of these charities but it became so big I reckon it’s now just like paying tax and it’s missing its main target – the very poor.

grum
    Free Member

I’m working on it – http://naccom.org.uk

Not really sure what your point is though.

Northwind

Edukator – Troll

How many daft straw man arguments have people thrown into the thread?

Edukator
    Free Member

It would be nice to hear people are doing something.

DrJ

Invite someone on the street directly into your home. People are doing this in France entirely at their own expense.

Hmm. AIUI very few Syrian refugees have actually made it to these happy shores, so the chances of bumping into one in the street are a bit slim.

Edukator
    Free Member

It’s not daft or “straw man” whatever that means. Grum obviously doesn’t think so as he’s working on it.

chewkw
    Free Member

Edukator – Troll
    Depending on your contributions to this thread you’ll either consider me evil for aiding an immigrant and a fool for renting out to someone likely not to pay, or congratulate me on giving him a home rent free.

Hey, your life and money etc so do as you wish. Nothing wrong with that. That person owes you for your kindness if I may say so that way.

Yes, you are a good person. Your action speaks louder than words.

Yes, yes … I know, I know to my skeptics I am saying something contradictory etc … yawn …

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think the point is you can legitimately be concerned about crime without dressing up as a super hero who directly tackles crime yourself therefore it possible to be concerned about this and not have to personally taken in a refugee in your home. The reasons should be clear

FWIW this thread and the news has made me act

Northwind

Of course it’s daft- the local problem is that the UK is failing to let refugees into the country in the first place. For individuals to fix that, the fix isn’t for them to put them up in their houses (which in any case, isn’t an option for a lot of people), since they’re not able to get there- we’d need to take up people smuggling.

Or, you know, act against the problem.

chewkw
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus
    FWIW this thread and the news has made me act

Ya, just make sure you see the whole thing through (support them, house them, feed them etc) and not dump them onto the society once you are fed up with them.

People are for life, not an emergency gift to boost self vanity.

Stick to your words and carry through that with action(support them, house them, feed them etc) until they can gain independece.

Otherwise, remember what I said I see you comiinngg … let’s see if you are man/woman enough.

Northwind – Member

Of course it’s daft- the local problem is that the UK is failing to let refugees into the country in the first place.

Knew that was coming hence the previous response that “I bet you are going to blame others now aren’t you? Ya, I know …”

Calm down dear … let the govt decide/process then allocate them to those that can take care of them. No need to blame or go into hysteria.

1. Come up with a list of those willing people to put up the refugees from Syria.
    2. Then assign them (you) responsibilities to take care of them.
    3. None of these nonsense about dumping them on taxpayer.
    4. No you don’t get subsidy / public funds coz someone will inevitably cook the book (i.e. crooks).

🙄

Edukator
    Free Member

If you don’t agree with the rigid policy of the UK government get organised and get out on the streets. It was 2 million for the anti-war protests in the 45mins to WMDs farce, that’s 2 million who can at least say “we tried”. Try to change Cameron’s mind.

DrJ

If you don’t agree with the rigid policy of the UK government get organised and get out on the streets.

http://stopwar.org.uk/events/stop-the-war-events-national/12-september-refugees-are-welcome-here-national-day-of-action

See you there.

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 560 total)

The topic ‘Calais Migrant camp- a conversation’ is closed to new replies.