Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Cakes at work – alternatives?
  • votchy
    Free Member

With an impending birthday and a departmental tradition to bring cakes/samosas to work I am looking for suitable alternatives. I have done savoury treats mini pork pies, sausage rolls, scotch eggs before so thinking of trying something different. Anyone got any inspiring ideas without breaking the bank?

binners

Class A drugs?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Class B/C drugs IN cakes?

Yak

A durian? – it will be like a challenge to all. Those who can overcome their revulsion will be rewarded with a joyful treat.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Along with the usual cakes/selection of savoury snacks, we’ve had a selection of fruit that no-one touched, and a massive selection of sweets. That lasted about 8 weeks.

Keva
    Free Member

search out the highest sugar, highest fat content stuff you can find and leave them to it.

lucky7500

In my experience, take in whatever has gone quickest when other people put stuff out. There’s not much point being arty or weird or spending a lot on quality as people generally like mass produced cake and biscuits. Also, take in twice as much as you think you need and make sure there’s some left for when the boss has a chance to partake late in the day. 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Samosas – order a job lot from local restaurant and get them to deliver

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cider.

lunge

Samosa’s is a great shout, cheap if ordered from the local restaurant and bought in bulk too. Get them to throw in a tub of homemade, hot sauce too, keeps everyone on their toes.

mogrim

I’ve made snickerdoodles and fudge for birthdays past, both a success.

Edit: I love stuffed grape leaves, don’t know if you can get them ordered in though. Samosas are good too.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I did jelly and ice cream a few years back, went down well.

votchy
    Free Member

Looking for something different, cakes and samosas are the usual suspects, not looking for quality, just something a bit different, thanks for suggestions so far, sweets and biscuits might be a shout

benp1

Cheese and pate board – savoury is always good

Otherwise try snacky nibbles – mixed nuts, crisps, crisps and dip

For something really awesome, for work ‘picnics’, where people would bring in food for everyone to share, I used to go to the chippy. This used to go down a storm!

rickmeister

Haribo Sugar Free Gummi Bears ?

Sweets Dont Get Much Better Than This !

Yak

If impending gets you into season, then strawberries and cream would be good.

wiggles
    Free Member

Scones with jam and clotted cream

verses

Popcorn!

Cougar

Last time I brought in two dozen-boxes of Krispy Kreme. They were demolished in about 30 seconds.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Baklava
    Opium
    Slab of Stella
    Beans on toast canapés

MoreCashThanDash

scones, jam and cream, or samosas and bhajis all go down well here as an alternative to Mr Kipling or Sainsburys cookies.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

If you’ve got a freezer box, ice creams are good, get some retro ones, like feasts, whams, mini milks etc.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Pizza delivery is another one been done here

nickc

what’s wrong with cake..?

windydave13
    Free Member

Pie’s, mini sausages, scotch eggs…. 😆

Daffy

Haribo – lots and lots of Haribo

ninfan
    Free Member

Surströmming

aroyalnit
    Free Member

Biltong

BillOddie

Work from home on your birthday…spend the money you save on someone you like, family, friends or coke and hookers.

I don’t eat the shite people bring in (and due to the size of the office it’s pretty much constant) but you can easily spot those that do…

Northwind

I got our catering guys to make the biggest rice crispie cake the world has ever seen, using some epic industrial catering tray they had. It barely fitted through the door. Great success, except I’d forgotten rice crispies have barley malt extract so I’m not allowed to eat them 😳

rickmeister

Stroopwafels ?

IHN

a departmental tradition to bring cakes/samosas to work

If it ain’t broke…

maccruiskeen

Bubblegum

mcj78
    Free Member

Couple of whole roast chickens, leave a carving knife & a jar of mayonnaise next to it and see who cracks first

BillOddie

Couple of whole roast chickens, leave a carving knife & a jar of mayonnaise next to it and see who cracks first

Fat Janice from accounts?

dooosuk
    Free Member

ads678

I did cream tea’s the other week. Everyone loves a good scone (said like stone!) with jam and clotted cream.

I couldn’t care less which goes on first though, as long as there’s plenty of it.

rOcKeTdOg

A durian

My boss brought durian sweets in, they tasted like wee smells on a course of ampecillin.

mcj78
    Free Member

BillOddie – Member

Fat Janice from accounts?

Never met the woman, but yes – I believe she’d have bits of chicken skin hanging from her hair by morning teabreak. 😆

mcj78
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member

My boss brought durian sweets in, they tasted like wee smells on a course of ampecillin.

I brought some of those back from Malaysia in January & one or two got eaten – the bag’s still sitting in work if anyone wants them? I actually thought the street-food markets in KL were overflowing with sewage & refused to eat anything there, until I realized that it was all the durian sellers (which ARE honking of shit but at least not tainted with human sewage)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Cakes at work – alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.