Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Cairngorms Hardtail vs Susser
  • fergal
    Free Member

I feel a little foolish for asking this, but i really can not make up my mind, have only ridden in the glens before, apart from Can Ban Mor and found a hardtail more than adequate, hoping to attack a few of the high peaks, how technical and rocky can it get i asks you, pros of a hardtail from experience the riding is pretty moderate and carrying will be easier.

So is the AM to be mothballed!

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Depends on the route really but I prefer my FS in the gorms. Some of the lesser traveled routes can be pretty rough!!! For CBM you’ll be fine with whatever I think, i’ve never actually done CBM but from what I know, i’d be happy to do it on a HT.

chiefgrooveguru

For the sub-arctic plateau you may need a hovercraft to avoid damaging the foliage…

fergal
    Free Member

No worries i will be sticking to the thorough fares, the path over Macdhui is pretty substantial, Carn Etchachan descent is armoured at some point, my dillema is i don’t know how techncal this is!, hence my quandary, any Carngorm afficiandos like to comment, we could trade war stories when i get back, have a few gems up my sleeve hopefully.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

It’s easier to carry a hardtail.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I’ve done the Ben MacDhui – Bynack Mor route twice, both on full-suss bikes. The first time it rattled my cassette loose…

stabilizers

I would take whatever bike your riding the best at the moment. If you enjoyed Carn Ban Mor on your hardtail then I dont think you should have any issues that you would be able to overcome on an Full Sus. The Full Sus might get you down faster and in more comfort but I gues that doesn’t guarantee more fun.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru – Member
    For the sub-arctic plateau you may need a hovercraft to avoid damaging the foliage…

My thought’s exactly. There’s also the mega rare ground nesting birds that live up there. I’ll probably get all kinds of grief for saying this but I think it needs to be said. Whilst mountain biking is a great way of exploring new places can’t you go somewhere less vulnerable? You could also be breaking the law by disturbing certain bird species, intentionally or otherwise.

backcountrybiking
    Free Member

Pehaps we should be thinking about the seriousness of the situation. i.e if your pinning far far and shredding the gnar gnar on your FS and bin it the likelihood of much badness happening in a very remote place is high. While riding your hardtail you will be slighty slower(maybe) and less likley to nail yourself so bad, and as you own the biffer on the carbon bling machine on your way down to the hutchy hut you get triple points.

Andy

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Ride sensibly and stick to the established paths = Responsible access (IMO).

backcountrybiking
    Free Member

What TW said.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

giant jaunt -= we had a big debate over this before. The plateau is a place to be particularly careful on and I have my doubts about the reasonableness of riding on there but given the amount of foot traffic its hard to say it really is not reasonable
    One to be aware of for sure

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Cairngorm access debate

One of those rare reasonable debates on an emotive topic and can you believe it – I softened my stance following it!

~Some interesting and good points made

rustler
    Free Member

No experience of this place, other than what folk write on here, but if it is as fragile as said, why not walk it instead ?
    I’ve always thought hiking a bit on the soft side, but we walked Snowdon recently & I thoroughly enjoyed it. Seeing the scenery pass at a slower rate. Highly recomended. 😉

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Ride sensibly and stick to the established paths = Responsible access (IMO).

Yeah I suppose that’s reasonable. It’s too much to expect people not to go to the plateau at all so if you’re going, stick to the ‘main routes’. The trouble is, does anyone know what responsible access is these days? Seems to mean different things to different people. I’d like to see the mountain bike magazines talk about responsible access if they’re going to give us details about routes through such areas aswell. Anyway! Have fun and watch out for the critters.

TJ- Thanks for the link, I think I might have commented on that thread myself. I used to be much more of a conservation nazi but it’s tricky with the new access laws.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I only have a FS, but even if I had a HT I wouldn’t think about it for Cairngorm plateau rides. It’s so rocky that the bike and rider would be beaten to bits. But then I am old and incompetent so need my skilz compensator.

Not done the descent from Macdui to Glen Derry yet but from reports it’s apparently steep, techy and rocky.

As far as access goes, riding responsibly is a given, so keeping to the established paths is IMO a must. As these run everywhere across the plateau and are mostly 2-3 metres wide there is no reason to deviate from them

sangobegger
    Free Member

Hmmm! – riding the gorm.Despite the fact there is a big fat sign at the bottom saying “p+#s off cyclists” blokes who should know better still think that its ok for them an all their mates to “take on the challenge”.
    For f~’s sake lads the Highlands are huge with more biking than you can shake a stick at.I can ride all day in torridon and not see a soul,plus I dont have to push me bike uphill for miles for a two minute downhill run.In fact in a few mins you can go from the top to the bottom of Mullach clach a bhlair at the south end of the Feshie peaks and all on fire road – but it takes nearly two hrs to get to the top pushing a full susser.Big deal,plus all your hard earned cash would do more good spread round rural areas rather than chucked into the cairngorm uplift conglomerate or national hotel chains in Aviemore.
    Not to mention the aformentioned rants in more than one thread on the fragility of our hills- a bit of common sense is all thats needed on this one lads (and lassies)

backcountrybiking
    Free Member

oh mince!

Sanny
    Free Member

Meanwhile, back on topic I’d recommend full sus. For me, my favorite stuff errs on the rocky and technical side of things. The likes of MacDui are best done on a full susser in my experience. I guess I like the comfort and not having an arse like a dasher of bacon at the end of a ride.

As for responsible access, stick to the obvious paths, give a cheery hello to fellow mountain users and enjoy the views.

Oh and try Andersons in Boat of Garten. You’ll need to book but it is a real wee gem. The Old Bridge Inn is good too as is The Rowan Tree from what I hear.

fergal
    Free Member

Nice one Sanny a little sense! staying in Nethy Bridge as have been for the last few years on these regular jaunts.

Ta everyone think i’m going for comfort.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Cairngorms Hardtail vs Susser’ is closed to new replies.