Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • cageless water bottles
  • jonba
    Free Member

I was looking at getting a couple of the fabric cage less water bottles. One for my road bike and one for my CX bike. The idea being that in autumn i regularly ride to CX or hill climbs and want a bottle but don’t want the cage for the race itself.These look like a neat solution.

Are the fabric ones the best option, there are a few other options but nothing as simple. Priority being light weight and clean lines when there is no bottle.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Magnetic?

qwerty
    Free Member

The Fabric ones mounts may dig in when shouldering, depends on your frame. Most reviews say that they are difficult to remove / replace the bottle whilst on the move. Secure though. Not actually tried one myself.

zippykona

The magnetic ones are expensive and though they won’t fall off when riding seem to fall off as soon as your knee brushes it.

tang
    Free Member

The fabric ones are great for this very thing. They’re not that expensive either. I am sponsored by them for saddles/tape and was a bit unsure about the bottles. However, they’ve been ace and I’ve not lost one hammering a cx bike daily on unsuitable trails.

akira

Use the fabric ones on a few bikes for when I don’t fancy a pack. They work well and once you get the knack they’re easy enough to use.

Northwind

I like my fabric ones but if I tried to use one while riding I’d die. Getting the bottle out, easy. Getting it back in, never happened. OTOH I’ve never lost a bottle but some people have had issues, not sure why.

Sounds like it could be good for you though. You do still get a sticky outy bit but it’s nothing like a cage. Also you get 2 sets of frame mounts with each bottle- one colourmatched and one black.

Shandy
    Free Member

The Fabric ones are a waste of money. I had two, one disappeared into a hedge on a rough descent, the remaining one has come off the bike three or four times.

jonba
    Free Member

I’ll take a punt. Better than removing cages for hill climbs and riding with bottles in pockets.

I was aware of issues (which is why everyone still uses cages) but was wondering if anyone had done something similar but better.

astormatt
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother going for the fabric one.
    I have had 3 now, all 3 fell off the bike at relatively low speed and the last one fell off on to long grass and all have split along the bottom.
    I sent an email to them, the reply i got back was, they are designed to split easily so when they fall off the bike, the bike can ride over them.
    They did say, the new batch is made from a more flexible material though so might not split as easily as the older ones.

chrisrobs
    Free Member

Good for roadies, not good for MTb

russyh
    Free Member

Glad I’m not the only one who found the fabric one garbage. Well for trail riding anyway. Mine kept falling off only to completely disappear.

GolfChick
    Free Member

My fabric careless bottle had been fine up to last night at which point it fell off twice. The first time it was a 2-3 mile ride back to get it. I’m wondering if the mounting hardware can perhaps loosen over time. I ended up pouring half my drink away to reduce the weight and therefore tendency for it to fall off.

I reckon for CX and road bike it would be spot on just maybe not 100% on a MTB

astormatt
    Free Member

I agree with chrisrob, good for road, not that good for mtb.
    They did say that i could do the mounts up tighter so it grips the bottle better, but if i tighten them anymore its a struggle to actually pull the bottle off while riding as its so tight.

TiRed

They are rubbish! Have one of the fabric on my cross bike. If you over-tighten the studs the mount is toast. It’s practically impossible to remove and replace a bottle at speed and without looking down. There is little margin for error, and the first you’ll know about it is when the bottle rolls across the road!

I coach people in taking a bottle. I’m used to drinking at 30mph without looking down in the middle of a bunch. I still need to slow or stop to replace a fabric bottle!

zanelad
    Free Member

I’ve a fabric one and had no problem. Just make sure it is properly in place.

Pridds

Ive got a few i’m selling as i couldn’t get on with them. Both sizes with spare bosses mail in profile

core

Newer fabric ones have softer studs which compress and spread more to aid grip. I lost a bottle on a rocky black mountains descent, emailed fabric, they explained the above and sent me a new bottle.

hardupdad
    Free Member

I did ‘ard rock with a full large one and didn’t lose my bottle. Pretty bumpy as you can imagine.

the key to not losing the bottle is to over tighten the studs so they expand enough to hold them securely.

Had one on road last week and was fine too. Look mega cool too as don’t get all scratched.

pictonroad

Fabric are garbage for anything bumpy in my experience of following someone round and repeatedly picking up their bottle for them on the best bits of rough trail.

somafunk

Never had an issue with my Vincero magnetic mount bottles, secure enough for off road and easy enough to use when riding

sargey2003

I’m amazed to hear so many people having issues with the fabric bottles – I am using the toolkeg on my Aeris 145 (and previously a bottle on an On One 456) and in weeks of use including BPW & Windhill it has only dropped off once (very heavy landing off a drop in Quantocks). Using the bottle whilst riding rough trails is a challenge for sure, but overall I am very impressed with the system.

I think the key is to get the right amount of torque on the bolts as you need the plastic collars to reform slightly.

Can’t see why anyone would ever have problems with using them on a road bike.

A couple of mates tried the magnetic ones and lost bottles frequently on cattle grids and cobbles.

Shandy
    Free Member

They are even more useless on the road bike because there is no suspension or big tyres to smooth out the bumps. You can tighten the bolts as much as you like and they will still bounce out.

TiRed

Can’t see why anyone would ever have problems with using them on a road bike.

Because you don’t look down when you take and replace them. And you don’t stop every five minutes to savour the view over a sip 😉

honourablegeorge

Find the Fabric ones excellent for mtb but as others have said, not for drinking on the move.

hardupdad
    Free Member

I saw on GCN that the commencal EWS riders were using them in the bike check. If good enough for them good enough for me

njee20
    Free Member

Still not drinking from them whilst at race pace though are they?

ultracrepidarian
    Free Member

Has anyone had problems with the silicone valve of the Fabric bottles coming out? My first one failed after a couple of uses, and the now the same thing has happened to the warranty replacement bottle after very little use. Lid is only rinsed under cold water, not thrown in the dishwasher, etc.
    I haven’t read of anyone having this issue, but having 2 fail seems more than just bad luck!

chiefgrooveguru

They are even more useless on the road bike because there is no suspension or big tyres to smooth out the bumps. You can tighten the bolts as much as you like and they will still bounce out.

Yes but when did you last huck off a five foot drop on your road bike? Never lost a Fabric bottle on my hardtail or full-sus apart from the first time when I didn’t push it on all the way.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘cageless water bottles’ is closed to new replies.