Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • "caged" spd type pedals – any point/extra support?
  • snotrag

Recently picked up some classic DX spds. Like a classic flat pedal shape, but clipless.

I wanted the efficiency of spds (been on flats for a bit but noticeably slower). But I wanted less of the Balanced on a knife edge of a normal spd (shot some 520’s on commuter bike).

I have both Specialized Tahoes and DHB XC shoes.

But the dx’s don’t support your feet any more – the cage is pretty much redundant.

Is there any kind of shoe/pedal combo where your foot is supported over a larger area, but also clipped in?

Do I need big fat shoes, Shimano AM/661 style? Or a different pedal type – Crank bros maybe?

druidh
    Free Member

I use Crank Bros Candys for touring/commuting. They use a MTB-style shoe/cleat, so you are clipped in but the sole also rests on the “cage” of the pedal at either side of the cleat. They work fine with Tahoes.

kimbers

i find crank bros acid and mallet support my whole foot better than candys with shimano am41 shoes

snotrag

Thanks guys. The problem seems to be that non of the sole is touching the pedal – so there’s the same support as you’d have on a normal spd. I kind of thought that the sole would be on the pedal like a flat.
    Maybe crank bros are the way to go…!?

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve just switched from Candys on my xc bike to a pair of XT semi-platform pedals. I’d love to tell you all about them, but they’ve only turned up this afternoon and I haven’t fitted them yet!

My other bikes all have Crank Bros Mallets on, which I really like the feel of. They remind me of the old skool Shimano DX pedals (ie the ones with metal cages bolted in place) as your foot fits flat on the platform.

My Candys were fine with Shimano MP66 shoes, which always felt secure, but they’re absolutely bloody lethal with my Spesh comp shoes. They give no warning when your (unclipped) foot is about to slide off, plus they’re not the most durable I’ve ever used, hence their retirement.

takisawa2

I’ve recently gone from DX spds. (647’s ?) Due to the cages packing up. Bit peed off TBH.
    Stuck some SSC pinned flats on & really like them. The now tattered flesh on my shins doesn’t agree though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Smaller the pedal the stiffer the shoe needed. A floppy flattish shoe on a small pedal feels worst.

Use mallets and Minaars here also use Spec shoes on them, really good combo. Also gives you chance to “Ride Flat” if you don’t clip in clean

dantsw13

I went from basic shimano spd’s to the trail version. As well as a bit more support, they are easier to engage, and protect the SPD body from pedal strikes. Whilst not a flat pedal, they are also fine for trips into the village with normal shoes.

snotrag

They remind me of the old skool Shimano DX pedals (ie the ones with metal cages bolted in place) as your foot fits flat on the platform.

This is what I have. My problem is that I dont have exactly what you describe – none of the sole of my shoe touches the pedal, only the cleat to the metal centre part – so exact same support as an M520. …

Maybe it’s my shoes then..

TheBrick
    Free Member

If weight was taken onto the cage it would be very difficult to clip in. I’d bet on your shoes being the problem too as once cliped in the entire shoe should feel supported.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I was getting a bit of a sore foot at one point on long rides, so I got some of those new shimano trail pedals and the sore foot stopped.

Make of that what you will

martymac

i use normal xt spds on my susser and m520 spds on the road bike.
    i noticed on the road bike that i was getting a pressure point in the general cleat area (shimano mt53 boots)
    i didnt notice this on the susser, only the road bike, i guess due to the more ‘relentless’ pressure during road use.
    bought a pair of stiffer shoes and voila, problem solved.
    i tried the xt pedals on the road bike, felt the same tbh.

richmtb

I use the DX spds. I defintely find them more supportive than the uncaged XTR spds I swapped from. It might well be down to the shoe / pedal interface though.

The definitley have the advantage of the resin cage protecting the pedal body though.

BigJohn

I use Time Z Freeride pedals and I find they give noticeably more side to side supprt than the standard ATACs.

The Mrs has them too and we’ve been on hols with the bikes. Riding to beach shops, out at night with flip flops is perfectly manageable and mrs BigJohn did all right with her high heels too.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Just has my first ride on the Shimano XT platforms, they’re ace. The platform felt fine with my Spesh Comps, I’ve quite large feet so it’s often difficult to get a decent pedal/shoe interface to suit me, but the XTs felt absolutely spot on. After eight years on Mallets, they didn’t disappoint.

continuity
    Free Member

When you hit

against a rock, you are likely to need to buy new pedals (and fall off).

When you hit

against a rock, you will hear a loud ping, and the pedal will be fine. You may still fall off.

ChrisI

I run Spesh Tahoe with XT Trail pedals. You get noticably more support from the Trail variant than the non-Trail (that I ran before). As with the others, I had sore spots on longer rides with the Tahoe as they are not the stiffest sole, but with the Trail variant its gone. The extra area around the cleat interface definitely adds more support. Also works well when you’re not clipped in as emergency platforms – had that a few times in the Alps!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘"caged" spd type pedals – any point/extra support?’ is closed to new replies.