Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Caffeine and racing
  • plop_pants
    Free Member

How do those that race feel about taking, or others taking, caffeine for racing. I’ve been racing ‘cross for years and always suffered badly from
    pre-race nerves but at the last couple of races I’ve popped a pill (200mg)and I’ve found my nerves diminish and are replaced with a more beneficial sense of being keen to get on with it. While caffeine is not on the UCI list of banned substances (yet) I still feel uncomfortable taking it. But I don’t know how prevalent it is in racing and how it is seen overall. Is taking it the norm these days?

tragically1969
    Free Member

It used to be on the UCI banned list, they took it off a few years back now, i would take it if itbhelps, no harm.

scaredypants

makes me poo if I take too much – I don’t race so not sure if this would make me do a superfast race to poo after, or do a “Radcliffe”

uselesshippy
    Free Member

i thought the uci had a limit on how much you could have in your blood.
    i’m probably wrong though 🙂

rudebwoy
    Free Member

i’m the same as scardeypants, within ten minutes of a good caffeine hit, Mr Brown is at the window, and won’t take no for an answer

tragically1969
    Free Member
    Macavity
    Free Member

http://www.scribd.com/doc/65680796/Nutritional-Concerns-in-Recreation-Exercise-And-Sport

Page 241
    “While the use of caffeine as an ergogenic aid in anaerobic activities is not conclusive, the mild stimulant effect of caffeine on the central nervous system may make it a worthwhile pre-workout supplement.”

nemtbroutes
    Free Member

I take it. It’s one of the few supplements that is proven to have a real and measurable ergogenic affect (even that Panorama programme reluctantly conceded that). It enhances performance (anywhere from 2%-10% depending on the research) by improving power but most of all delaying delaying feelings of fatigue by effectively blocking the fatigue signals sent from the brain to the muscles. The theory is all good but it’s the practice that counts and in my experience taking caffeine regularly throughout a long race makes a real difference.

WADA took caffeine of the banned substance list in 2003. There is no upper limit (before it was 12mg/l and above in urine concentration)

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/nutrition/caffeine-and-the-endurance-athlete.aspx

Combine with Beetroot for an added endurance boost (Nitrates).

starrman82
    Free Member

I use it, cross race before start & marathons during.

philjunior
    Free Member

I once tried a high dose Caffeine drink and I felt high as a kite, not really that nice and I didn’t feel that able to pace myself etc.

A nice strong cup of coffee is enough for me. Oh and you might drop dead from a heart attack if you take too much too…

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member
    makes me poo if I take too much

This is exactly the reason I do drink coffee before racing! Clears out the system if you will. Just make sure you have enough time before racing for it to take effect. Gives me a good feeling of an empty stomach which really helps when the suffering starts.

I stick to one cup though, so nowhere near 200mg. I usually use Carborocket when racing, too, which has a small amount of caffeine in it.

simondbarnes

I take caffeine, diclofenac and codeine before I cross race. I don’t really care what others take to be honest.

brakes
    Free Member

I think the energy gels with caffeine in are blinding – definitely give you energy and focus when you’re flagging. noticed it particularly when doing jumpy stuff and feeling weary.

CaptJon
    Free Member

simondbarnes – Member
    I take caffeine, diclofenac and codeine before I cross race. I don’t really care what others take to be honest.

Wow, how many bottles do you have to carry to combat the dehydration?

simondbarnes

Wow, how many bottles do you have to carry to combat the dehydration?

None, the races are only an hour long.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

The UCI limit when it was in force was a stupid amount anyway. Can’t remember the exact amount, but it was more than you was reasonably take.

No reason to be afraid of taking caffeine, its in all sorts from Coke to Tea.

readikus

A word of warning – I had too much caffeine during the Kielder 100 this year, and literally wee’d away at least 20 minutes! Good for XC/short stuff, keep it limited for the long stuff.

tinsy
    Free Member

I kept reading it was good for a blast before a race, however I mis interpreted that & used to drink massive strong coffee’s all day long then go to the Beastway series in the evening completely dehydrated.

Cant see why your worried about taking a caffeine pill, maybe its the fact that its in pill form, so why not just have an expresso instead.

Maybe you have some kind of reaction to caffeine that makes you a bit over sensetive on the comedown 😉

globalti
    Free Member

You could always try caffeine suppositories.

njee20
    Free Member

I often use caffeinated drinks or gels when racing, can’t say I really notice a big effect.

Nicotine can work as well, you can use patches if you’re so inclined!

tinsy
    Free Member

Or a pipe…

trail_rat
    Free Member

found it works best if you only take it when racing and cut it out at all other times.

But i like coffee to much i found it easier to stop racing :d

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

I once tried a high dose Caffeine drink and I felt high as a kite

Ah…the very ghost of Hunter S Thompson!

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Personally I save a caffine gel for when my concentration starts to go in a race. Find it really perks me up for the following hour. May be placebo though.

scaredypants

Ah…the very ghost of Hunter S Thompson!

😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Cant see why your worried about taking a caffeine pill, maybe its the fact that its in pill form, so why not just have an expresso instead

Coffee (and tea etc) are chock full of alkaloids, some of which are stimulating, some are good for you and some not. Coffee makes me feel quite rough if I have too much, but caffeine pills/gels, coke and red bull don’t. They also affect my heart much less.

I have found caffeine gels to be no different to normal gels in the first few hours of a ride, they are best saved for 3+ hours when you start to get knackered. Coke also works nicely then too 🙂

sbob
    Free Member

No reason to be afraid of taking caffeine

Nope.
    Caffeine has no known side effects.
    None what-so-ever.

🙄

nicholasnismo
    Free Member

Couple of expresso’s and a shot of beetroot juice makes the most difference for a ride for me.

readikus

Try not eating any foods that are great than 70% carbs for a month leading into the event, then start with a gel.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Gels with guarana are much better than those with caffeine.

Guarana is way less jittery, much less likely to upset your GI tract & has no nasty comedowns. Its also a more natural product than the caffeine in a lot of energy gels.

I use Torq Banoffee gels with Guarana if Im tired on a long ride or towards the end of a long race. Awesome stuff. Never fails to pick me up.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You do know that NSAIDs have been shown to diminish performance?

And is your combination of caffine and codine a sort of upper and a downer combination, not sure what use opiates are during a race?

molgrips
    Free Member

Guarana is just a plant extract that contains caffeine. Many caffeine gels ARE guarana gels.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Guarana is just a plant extract that contains caffeine. Many caffeine gels ARE guarana gels

I didnt say they werent, the chemical formulation is different though IIRC.

Macavity
    Free Member

Diane
    Free Member

I read that it’s more effective if your body isn’t used to it – so as said above keep out of your daily diet – have decaf coffee etc

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Caffeine and racing’ is closed to new replies.