Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Caerphilly trail problems
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Looks like some people have been trying to stop access to trails on FC land near Caerphilly with barbed wire and similar. It’s the Warren, if anyone’s local. These are part of the local Cardiff and Caerphilly trail network which is widely used, and has been for decades.

There’s a petition to Natural Resources Wales here on change.org

https://www.change.org/p/natural-resources-wales-recognised-mountain-bike-trails-in-caerphilly

JackHammer

says petition unavailable

molgrips
    Free Member

OP edited, try again. Seems their URLs are case-sensitive.

copa
    Free Member

I can imagine this being used to justify a general clampdown on riding trails elsewhere. Also, not sure it helps to use a photo like that.

MrAgreeable

I can imagine this being used to justify a general clampdown on riding trails elsewhere.

This has already happened. A bit of background: http://singletrackworld.com/2016/09/former-mp-linked-to-caerphilly-trail-sabotage/

coatesy
    Free Member

We’re not exactly helping our own cause either, when somebody takes a regularly used path, and constructs a vertical drop (stakes and decking) right across it, blocking access to everyone bar the jumpers amongst us. It’s not like Ron is going to be looking for ammo to use against us, is it?

greyspoke
    Free Member

Which bit you talking about there coatesy?

coatesy
    Free Member

Bit further over towards Machen, behind the Maen Llwyd pub.

greyspoke
    Free Member

Ah yes, I see some stuff like that there

Kamakazie

I thought there was an informal agreement around The Warren and not building trails there? As per the article on STW.

Not that I can find a map showing which areas are OK and which aren’t.

JackHammer

ooo where’s this jump/gap thing? Been in the woods behind the pub a few times.

greyspoke
    Free Member

I thought there was an informal agreement around The Warren and not building trails there? As per the article on STW.

Not that I can find a map showing which areas are OK and which aren’t.
    If there was, it was very informal because the first time I heard of it was that news article. There is a fenced-off area of woodland along the West side of the bottom end of Caerau Lane looked after by the Caerphilly Woodlands Trust. It says

In April 2003, CWT became the sole and permanent owners of approximately 23 acres of woodland within ‘the Warren’. This consists of an area known locally as ‘the old clay pits’ and the surrounding woodland.

Cycling is not allowed there, it says so on signs (and there has been no trail building there). “The Warren” is a name on a map, I have no idea how far it extends. I am not inclined to pay for a Land Registry search to find out the extent of their 23 acres and if it coincides with the fenced area. But the fact that someone referred to a “voluntary agreement” suggests that the area where trails were dug up and Ron Davies was involved was not part of their 23 acres.

The Caerphilly Woodlands Trust is not connected with the national outfit calling itself the Woodland Trust.

greyspoke
    Free Member

ooo where’s this jump/gap thing? Been in the woods behind the pub a few times.

Diff to explain, and things change there (and I don’t go there that frequently). If you go in via the top of the lane next to the Maenllwyd and then climb up through the woods off to the left of the main track you will get to the general area I am thinking about.

owain
    Free Member

None of the trails are within the no cycling area which is owned by the Caerphilly woodlands trust, I have seen a map provided by NRW and the two main tracks bulldozed are on the least sensitive area of hillside. No ladder drops on footpaths up there and the photo demonstrates what the petition is asking for ie built features. Was taken on one of the trails pre bulldozers.

Kamakazie

Any chance you can share the map? Would be good to see what stuff is around that I’ve not ridden.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

This needs to be handled caerphilly.

danradyr1
    Free Member

To add salt to the wound Machen woods has been closed by NRW as well…

therag
    Free Member

There’s always mtbers there riding in huge groups, that will always piss off other users but they’re going to hurt someone soon.

molgrips
    Free Member

Machen woods? The one on the south of the mountain that leads into the back of the village? With the steep techie line all the way down?

danradyr1
    Free Member

Aye, the main DH route, the one with massive huge jumps that I admire whilst I mince down one of the other routes. Crosses the railway track ending up at the garages. A lot of effort has been put in by some to make that trail one of the best around. The whole woods will be gone along with the fantastic trails.

markrh
    Free Member

Was up Machen today, most disappointed. Its a big climb only to find the trails shut 🙁

Kamakazie

Closed permanently?
    I thought they were just felling at the moment.

Something’s got to give. Plenty of land around for everyone to enjoy.
    Was out for over 4 hrs yesterday and only saw 3 other riders and about 10 walker’s.

bright
    Free Member

Most of the trails up the Mast should be ok post felling, the local gossip is that NRW will try and avoid damage to the existing tracks although I believe the bigger features like “Tiny Tim” and the other Machen Trail Builders stuff will need to come down.

In regards to the north shore style junp in the woods behind the Marnllwyd pub which has been there a few years, it’s nowhere near the Warren and as far as I know hasn’t been an issue as it was cut off an existing walking trail but crosses a swampy area. Subtle it ain’t, unrideable unless the weather has been dry for weeks but surely no issue to anyone. The new ‘drop off’ currently being constructed on the footpath off the main fire road on ‘Fenceline’ on the other hand…

Anyone wanting to ride some trails in this area is always welcome on the CastleMTB Monday rides, 6.30 on a Monday meeting at Caerphilly train Station car park. The trails mentioned on this thread are usually the ones we ride!

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

6.30pm? I might come along to one of these, see what trails there are outside of Machen.

copa
    Free Member

This petition seems to suggest that the solution to current tensions is the creation of a dedicated mountain bike trail. For this to make sense, it would mean stopping people using trails elsewhere.

This sounds crap to me. A better solution would be for people to stop bombing down trails in areas used by the public.

bright
    Free Member

Yep, 6.30pm. As long as it’s not against the rules to say this, search for the club on Facebook as the rides are put up as events, if it’s on there it’s happening.

I agree about the official trail proposal, I think what we have which is limited permission from NRW is better than a set trail network as it may lead to a case of “you have your trails, what are you doing riding here?!”.

Either way the hysteria around this doesn’t help either the walkers, the riders or the cyclists; the best solution is for everyone to rise above it and realise we can all enjoy the natural beauty of the Caerphilly Valley by just being a little more considerate of each others needs and concerns. Built features in clear view of walking routes should be an obvious no no in my opinion.

molgrips
    Free Member

For this to make sense, it would mean stopping people using trails elsewhere

Not necessarily. Cwmcarn doesn’t ban bikes elsewhere. Freedom to act like hooligans guilt-free on some trails would certainly ease pressure on the rest; it would probably end up with only the traditional middle-aged polite MTBers on the natural stuff.

greyspoke
    Free Member

I’d agree with all of that bright, ample history to support your final conclusion. I would add that consideration is also needed between mountain bikers with different interests. I like jumps and berms, I also like natural trails and some need to be left that way.

copa – I share your concerns.

I suspect the increase in the numbers of people riding, and what they like to ride, is a key driver here. My initial reaction to theraq’a “huge groups” was “what?” – but you are right, formal (almost club-like) groups are springing up all over and they do tend to form quite visible groups at weekends. I guess some people will be offended by the mere presence of large numbers of cyclists, not sure what can be done about that. If there is only two or three of you, you can say hello, exchange pleasantries about dogs/horses/the weather and generally chat people up. That’s not so practical in a large group.

molgrips
    Free Member

I would come along to a ride to learn some new trails – I’ve ridden past the Warren countless times but not ventured in.

But yes – the trails are generally pretty empty. I usually see no-one at all.

danradyr1
    Free Member

With regard to Machen, I understand that they’ll try and restore as many trails as possible (many will be lost) but I Just wish the NRW would leave it alone and fell some other area. They have a vast woodland estate, do they have to spoil Machen!?

dragon
    Free Member

The Warren isn’t very big, so I don’t think built features there isn’t a great idea IMO. Leave the built stuff for the trail centers, BPW etc, and just enjoy your local natural trails as they are. If you meet walkers etc on the trails, slow down, say ‘hello’ and most of the time there won’t be an issue.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Caerphilly trail problems’ is closed to new replies.