Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cadair Idris Bridleway questions??
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

Planning a there-and-back up Cadair Idris next monday morning with post-Dyfi hangover.
    Looking at the map, there are a couple of places where the bridleway leaves what looks like landrover track. And suggestions for which is the better way up and down?

here, and also does this track link up here to allow easier climbing at all?

Or is it best to simply go up and down the same way?

Tiger6791

If you’re keeping it legal up and down same way

Just follow the track & push / carry / ride last bit

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

Referring to your first link-I usually climb up the fire road(bypassing the bridleway here as it would be a tough grassy maybe boggy climb mostly) but when descending back down swing a left onto that previously bypassed bit of bridleway as it’s more fun on way down,it’s quite hard to spot on the ground and is grassy and not so well ridden so try to scope it on way up.As for the rest of it-straight up and straight back down the bridleway(pony path),you will be pushing/carrying some of it but it’s worth it for the views and descent . 🙂

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Thanks.

Just discovered that Google Streetview has it covered, explore the mountain from my laptop 🙂

cakefacesmallblock

Having ridden Cadair Idris on Saturday, in perfect visibility, I missed the right turn at the sheep pens at Haffoty Gwastadfryn and followed the double track which I was already on, bearing slightly left here and continuing up bearing right all the while, pretty much following the contours round. When that track stops, it’s not immediately obvious that there is a path running across the moor to meet the Pony Path at the junction on the saddle. This involved me riding / pushing over the open moor, aiming at the junction and stile, which, due to good weather, I could see easily.
    I’d suggest taking the right turn through the gate at the sheep pens and using the pony path. The first few metres up are on grass based surface, which zig zag up to the next gate. It’s quite steep and will involve ( probably ) some pushing. The path is clear enough to follow though. I was easily able to pick it up at the stile by the junction with the path to the summit on the way down.
    Poor visibility on the moor would have thrown me out totally. I’d simply taken the os map and a compass, but as I said was able to see and overcome my error quite easily.

molgrips
    Free Member

I missed the right turn at the sheep penis

That’s what I read 😯

cakefacesmallblock

😳 😀

rocketman
    Free Member

…it’s not immediately obvious that there is a path running across the moor to meet the Pony Path

It is

:mrgreen:

matther01
    Free Member

Hopefully the horseflies won’t be in full force yet. They’re real bastards around there.

Some of the roads getting to the parking spot near the church are really narrow too.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cadair Idris Bridleway questions??’ is closed to new replies.