Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Cable/Virgin ditching the land line
  • DT78
    Free Member

Anyone phoned up recently to ditch? It’s £17.99 a month and not used. Last time I spoke with Virgin a couple of years ago, the “discount” for having all 3 would have meant the package price would only reduce by £2.

Rather than spend 30mins on hold for the same answer has any one tackled this recently?

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Im in the same boat so interested.

import
    Free Member

Quite interested in this too, especially as they’ve just tacked on another £3 per month, keeping their annual 10% increase trend. We don’t even have a own a handset!

Are there any other providers worth looking at? (Sky is out, as we’re renting and can’t put up a dish)

miketually
    Free Member

As I understood it, the landline is priced separately so that their broadband prices are comparable with other providers.

import
    Free Member

linky1
    linky2

Just found this – depends on what your current package is. On some it seems you can drop the £18/month line rental and pay £10 more for broadband, to save £8/month, but not if you’re on the “Big” ones, which I unfortunately am.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

I ring up every year to cancel the landline. They drop the price to about £1/pcm more than the BB only price for me (i don’t have TV services)
    Will be looking at other options soon because the year on year increases do seem a bit ridiculous.

oldnpastit

I phoned up and said I was leaving. After some haggling they gave me a quid off, increased the bitrate for free and waived the £5 increase they were trying on. Which makes it about the same price as talk-talk, give or take.

(This is assuming that the bitrate change actually happens, it hasn’t so far).

DT78
    Free Member

Well tried to get rid, told on several times by 2 different people this makes no difference to the bill. I hope there was no fibbing going on….should definitely be something for a watch dog to take on. In the end I reduced all the services to the minimum, and got a free upgrade to ‘more TV’ thrown in which I wasn’t to fussed about. Bill went from £76 with the price hike (shortly after the ‘free’ speed increase) to low 30s. Decent saving. Really don’t like their practises but at the moment they provide the best service. Soon as some one comes along with a better service and a more honest approach to its customers I’m off.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I actually spoke to Virgin last night about this, my bill would go up by 10p if I ditched the phone.

Weasel
    Free Member

Still in my ‘discounted’ 12 months of an 18 month contract, even if it did take 3 months to get the bill right. I have no need for a landline, don’t even have a phone to plug into the socket, so would like this pointless cost removed from my monthly bill.

The free upgrade to my broadband speed seems to have made no difference at all.

alanl
    Free Member

What are you paying for phone & BB?
    Virgin have been digging our street up recently, so we could have a cable connection soon.
    I’m paying Plusnet £30ish a month for phone and BB now via the landline.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Alanl – I pay 26.99 for phone and BB (50mb). Don’t use the phone.

That goes up in Feb tho I think cos of the price rises. I’ll ring and try and get it reduced

DT78
    Free Member

it is a bundle so not sure of exact breakdown but I think there basic bb, phone and TV is normally around £40ish. Landline is billed as separate at £18. In my opinion they are doing that so they can pretend the bb is cheap because you have to have the service you don’t want (so in effect whatever the bb is quoted as add £18)

Speed stuff is also bollox. I was getting a free upgrade to 150 but I’ve never seen more than low 30s. Downgraded to 50 with no difference so far.

Definitely rife for a watchdog investigation into thier pricing policies and how they treat customers.

As it goes just in case anyone from Virgin happens to read this, it was quite novel to get dealt with in a relatively short period and by people whose English I could understand who were quite nice. That exceeded my expectations.

bensales
    Free Member

I rang up today to can the phone and to and just keep the broadband. Currently paying about 56 a month for 150Mbps broadband, M+ TV and phone. Looked on their site and found they offered a 100Mbps broadband on,y service for 35.25 a month.

Didn’t make any threats to leave, got through to a chap who after a bit of convincing that I really didn’t need 200Mbps (he didn’t see to understand the difference between speed and amount transferred) got offered broadband and phone for 34.99. When I got the email it turns out he’s put me on the £24 broadband + £17.99 package with a £6 loyalty discount. This will last a year, at which point I’ll just ring up and do it again. With streaming services and free view we had no se for their to and TiVo any more.

bigbloke
    Free Member

I rang up to complain my speed upgrade hasn’t happened. They said they don’t guarantee their wireless speeds but I should plug in the Ethernet cable and check. That has the 70mb I was supposed to be on but wireless is still 50mb, it has been consistently 50 since it was introduced so I don’t know why I can’t get 70mb???. Also utterly fed up with the price hikes. Thinking of BB only with them now.

maccyb
    Free Member

Not directly relevant to OP but we went (cable) broadband only when we moved in, 100Mb at the time (clocked at 107) and now the free upgrade has kicked in it’s 143Mb, so they’re not *always* lying liars. We use powerline adaptors rather than the wifi from the supplied hub (concrete walls kill the signal) and it makes a huge difference.

bensales
    Free Member

I rang up to complain my speed upgrade hasn’t happened. They said they don’t guarantee their wireless speeds but I should plug in the Ethernet cable and check. That has the 70mb I was supposed to be on but wireless is still 50mb, it has been consistently 50 since it was introduced so I don’t know why I can’t get 70mb???. Also utterly fed up with the price hikes. Thinking of BB only with them now.

Your wireless router is the problem there, not the broadband service. If it’s a slightly older router it’ll be 802.11n spec which won’t in practise give more than 50. 802.11ac ones may give more but only under perfect conditions.

50 is enough though as you’ll get 50 to all devices on the network, so that’s how to max out the actual internet speed.

takisawa2

Some routers can only run at the speed of the slowest WiFi device connected, so if someone switched on an old device it could drop. Not sure if that’s true.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I called them last year to ask about leaving. Bloke said when do I want to go. Didn’t seem fussed about what I was paying. Said I get deals shoved through my door and wanted one of them, as cheaper. Said I couldn’t have it, as I was an existing customer and wasn’t eligible for it. Said it was a rip off and wanted a better deal, he said he cant offer it. Should really tell them to shove it, but sadly we have nothing to really replace it with. I have a Tivo box in our study which isn’t used, so will get rid of that, especially with the usual annual increase they like to do.

bear-uk
    Free Member

I hardly use my landline. To reduce the fee, I pay it yearly in one go and its about £40 cheaper than monthly.
    Just done a speed test and get 159.72 on cat 5 cable and 153.53 on wireless. Thats gone up about 50 Mb/s since the recent upgrade.

pictonroad

As above service without landline is more expensive, I’ve never plugged it in, no idea what the number is.

pictonroad

I’ve received and sent free small parts on here. Happy to continue doing so.

raincloud
    Free Member

Did this a few yrs ago. Yes broadband only may (depending on deals) be slightly more expensive BUT for the sake of not having to ring up and cancel every year, try and get better deal, get roped into 18 sometimes 24 month contract I’m willing to pay the extra quid a month. Never had any issues with it either. Let’s be honest 30quid a month for something that gets used every day, connects all devices and the you view box is really a pretty good deal.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Cable/Virgin ditching the land line’ is closed to new replies.