Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cable tension/adjustment on 105 road gears
  • thorpie
    Free Member

My new custom Croix der Fer was specced with Shimano 105 drive train but one thing that never crossed my mind was cable adjustment on the gears! There are no barrel adjusters on the levers so how does one fine tune them? Obviously there is the adjuster on the rear mech I could use but not on the front mech. Should they have inline adjusters?

Trevor.

crikey
    Free Member

Use the rear one; you shouldn’t need to mess for a few months at a time. My top tip; when the shifting goes off a bit, replace the inner cable, they get gummed up quick on crossers.

Coleman
    Free Member

Strange it was built up without barrel adjusters? Would imagine something like these will fix your problem.
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/jagwire-cable-adjusters-for-fixing-to-plain-frame-headtube-boss-prod24780/
    If you have new 105 (5700) then the only solution is to fit on the downtube cable stops. If 5600 then you have the option to fit where the cables exit the sti’s.
    Having said all that, I’ve just built up a cross bike for No1 son with 105 (5700) without a barrel adjuster on the front mech ( due to top tube cable routing) and have managed to trim the mech – albeit a PITA!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    charliedontsurf

only £5.99 and post free

This is what we use when bikes are supplied a little half baked. We are constantly putting these on Spec’y tri-crosser’s.

thorpie
    Free Member

Saw those Ritchey ones but where do you put them? The routing on the new 105 is under the bar tape. The inline jag wire ones look sleeker? Being a mtb’er I never considered these things when speccing the bike up, what do ‘roadies’ do with their road bikes, do they all have inline adjusters? If needed then why don’t Shimano supply them with the gears?

matthew_h
    Free Member

You very rarely need to adjust the front mech enough to warrant adjusters and the rear has an adjuster on the mech.

Sorted.

charliedontsurf

Oh yes. You will need inline if all the cables are under the tape.

The ones on the stock salsa Fargo are excellent. And fine tuning from the bars whilst riding is handy.

jonba
    Free Member

My focus cayo has adjusters on the downtube at the cable stops.
    My focus mares has inline adjusters. They are right next to the lever and look a bit gash. Will probably move them when I put new cables on.

You should be fine without though. Front mechs aren’t that sensitive IME, especially on a road bike where once it works its fine. XTR mechs don’t have barrel adjuster, only the one on the shifter so if you only have one on the 105 mech then that should be sufficient.

JoB
    Free Member

apart from setting it up at the start i’ve never needed to touch a road front mech ever, you’ll be just fine

iainc

My jake the snake came without (older 105) so when i recabled i put some inline ones in. work a treat.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cable tension/adjustment on 105 road gears’ is closed to new replies.