Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Cable routing on Pitch
  • grumm
    Free Member

Anyone else have trouble with cables getting damaged on their Pitch? It’s the one real flaw with the bike imo – having the cables going under the downtube and hanging under the BB means they are very susceptible to damage, especially if you ride rocky stuff a lot.

Just wondering if there is anything I can do about it? I have to replace gear cables fairly often, and a rear brake hose once, due to strikes on the underside from rocks etc.

Any means of protecting the cables somehow?

grumm
    Free Member

No-one else have this problem?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

No mate, not had that problem yet. Mine doesn’t get ridden that often, but when it does it’s on the rockier/steeper stuff. It’ll be getting a pasting in the Alps next week, so we’ll see….

The only cable problem I’ve had is the rear brake hose rubbing on the inside of the chain stay. It’s well worth taping it up.

Personally, I think the cable routing is bang on.
    🙂

Dr_Bakes

I noticed that on a friends Stumpjumper (I assume the routing is the same) but he said he’d never had a problem with it? It looked right in the line of fire from any rocks but i guess the chainrings protect it to a certain extent?

mk1fan
    Free Member

Contrary to PP I think the cable routing is appauling. Not that I’ve looked at it in any depth though.

Stick on hose guides might be the answer if you’re having problems.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Contrary to PP I think the cable routing is appauling. Not that I’ve looked at it in any depth though.

Why? Whats wrong with it?
    The cables pass the correct side of the head tube so they don’t rub, and in a nice gentle loop rather than a tight turn. The rear mech cable is virtually a straight run all the way through, and is hidden under the chainstay protector. It’s all nice and neatly tucked away under the DT and doesn’t spoil the lines of the bike, and the bolt on cable guides are very neat (Unlike cable ties) and secure.
    With that frame design there’s nowhere else to put the front mech cable, and TT routed cables on FS bikes always flex and rub somewhere…..
    🙂

jam-bo

i’ve changed the rear brake hose routing on every spesh i’ve had. gear cables routing isnt so critical.

never understood the logic behind routing it all under the BB.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

never understood the logic behind routing it all under the BB.

Why? It’s THE best place!
    🙂

It’s neat, unobtrusive, stays where it’s put and is fully sealed with full length outers. Perfik!

mk1fan
    Free Member

As I said, I haven’t looked at in great detail but a cursury inspection of forge’s Pitch and the ensuing trail chat I feel that they are (and it seems common on most of the current FS Spesh’s) conveluted.

You may feel at frst glance that the way I run the cables on my bikes is wrong but they (imo) work for better for it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Conveluted?

It’s virtually a straight line for the rear mech!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Anyway, where else can it go?
    Top tube is the only other choice. And then you end up with 2 baggy loops between the seat clamp area and the seatstays that flap and rub everywhere, and a lot tighter bend in the loop between the TT and the shifters, which is never good. And the front mech is mounted on the chainstay, not the seat tube, so you need to have the cable stop on said stay otherwise every time you hit a bump, you’ll shift chainrings!
    🙂
    You’re just changing stuff for the sake of it……

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I prefer under the BB for the opposite reason, its completely unsealed!

You can’t get mud traped in the outer if there is none (shifter to headtube and CS to mech excluded)!

Not sure it works quite as well on a FS as you have a bit under the BB don’t you?

If brake hose is getting damaged try threading it through fuel pipe/camelback hose or soemthing similar where its exposed.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

prefer under the BB for the opposite reason, its completely unsealed!

You can’t get mud traped in the outer if there is none

Pitches have full length outers. Common good sense for a Yankee bike!

If brake hose is getting damaged try threading it through fuel pipe/camelback hose or soemthing similar where its exposed

I was thinking something along those lines too, if mine ever gets damaged
    🙂

mushrooms
    Free Member

Put something on the cables to protect them as has been said, maybe a chainstay protecter wrapped round them?
    It’s a much better option than messing about with zip ties rerouting them.

grumm
    Free Member

Chainstay protector or bit of camelbak hose is a good plan, never thought of that – cheers.

PP you obviously don’t ride yours often enough or hard enough!

I dunno if you ride in the Lakes a lot there is loads of loose rocky stuff and things just fly up and hit the underside of the bike all the time.
    Got a crud guard thing purely for protecting the cables on the upper bit of the downtube but the bit right under the BB is very vulnerable.

Just put a new front gear cable on and i need to replace it again already.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Have to be honest I never had any issues in over 18 months on mine, the outters wore a little but everythign still shifted nicely.

Englishmastiff
    Free Member

Likewise. I have had mine for 18 months, It was treated to a set of Boxxers for a week last year and thrown down the Alps and did the pass portes. No probs at all with the cable routing, tore off the chain, wrapped it round the rear hub, destroyed the rear mech on the way and ate 21 spokes while gouging out a rather substantial lump of alluminium from the chain stay but I have to say, the cables were fine!!!

forge197
    Free Member

As much as I like my Pitch the cable routing on the Pitch is poor compared to other bikes I’ve had and own, but I’ve not had any issues with it just don’t like the route.

grumm
    Free Member

Maybe it’s just me riding like a clumsy oaf through loose rocks that does it.

Oh well, I think I’ll try wrapping a bit of tubing round the cables underneath.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Cable routing on Pitch’ is closed to new replies.